Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MOT advisory note (Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated & constant velocity joint gaiter deteriorated)

M Lam

Hi 

I saw this on my new MOT is an advisory note
  • nearside front constant velocity joint gaiter deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt (2.5.C.1a)
  • nearside front Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
  • offside front Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)

Just curious, is this easy to change? And how much it will cost to fix it? Do you think is worth to fix it. And what will be the problem, if I don't fix it?

Thanks

• Like 1

It will only get worse if left and yes its worth it to fix on a 2006 ask your

self if you think the cars a good one.

Do you do repairs yourself

• Like 1

Just now, dezwez said:

It will only get worse if left and yes its worth it to fix on a 2006 ask your

self if you think the cars a good one.

Do you do repairs yourself

I guess this might not be an easy job for me to do it. I will get someone to do it. Do I need to do it immediately, or I can do it few months later? Any idea how much that will cost?

Yes you can carry on using it could mouths before it will need doing

If you know someone who can do it is not to bad a job to do

• Like 1

cost goes on what parts you use copied or dealer parts :smile:

2 minutes ago, dezwez said:

I guess I will go for copied, if lots cheaper

sometimes copied parts are not the best to use they don't last as long

a lot goes on your budget :smile:

• Like 1

I would just get it done, leave it too long and tyres will wear unevenly too. IMO OEM parts all the way, copies just don't cut it for me (not for suspension anyway)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, M Lam said:
Hi 

I saw this on my new MOT is an advisory note
  • nearside front constant velocity joint gaiter deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt (2.5.C.1a)
  • nearside front Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
  • offside front Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)

Just curious, is this easy to change? And how much it will cost to fix it? Do you think is worth to fix it. And what will be the problem, if I don't fix it?

Thanks

the mot tester is just making you aware that these parts are worn through normal wear & tear and will need replacing at some point in the future , but are not dangerous or impede use of the car.

so i wouldnt panic to get the repairs done in the next week or anything.

just keep calm and carry on.

:-)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dezwez said:

Just curious, this is the part needed to fix all above issue is below?

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Ford_Focus_2.0_2005/p/car-parts/transmission-parts/car-transmission/cv-joint-kits/?657593821&1&e14a73317f55522dad3bdfc45682384fb59bc136&000095

you dont need the whole cv kit just the rubber bit. - for the first fault.

and 2 rubber suspension bushes for faults 2 & 3. about £20 each.

go to a motor factors for the parts , they will sell you only the stuff you actually need

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, biff55 said:

you dont need the whole cv kit just the rubber bit. - for the first fault.

and 2 rubber suspension bushes for faults 2 & 3. about £20 each.

go to a motor factors for the parts , they will sell you only the stuff you actually need

Thanks. This help :)

some mot testers put loads of stuff on advisories and some don't. It does not neccessarily mean those parts are worse on your car than on one where it was not mentioned at all. there is no consistency. 

I would not have the work done now if it was mine , but i would keep an eye on the gaiter now and then because if it splits and dirt and water gets in then it can ruin the joint itself. but some have minor cracks in the rubber gaiter that can last for years. Gaiters vary in quality. the original part might last years, but a cheap replacement might be poor quality rubber that splits in much less time. I have found the same with steering rack gaiters. there is a fair bit of work in fitting CV gaiters so you don't want it to fail again too soon

some decisions depend on how long you think you might keep the car.

If you decide to have a go,wait until the weather warms up.I always use OEM parts unless upgrading.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

I would try cleaning the brushes with silicone spray first. I mean it won't hurt to double check it.

I mean I had a dealer health check that said detoriating break lines and a broken rear spring, it was broken but broken so low it did not matter, I also noticed how bad the break line looked. I just wiped off the dirt and the brake line looked brand new.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club