Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Running DRL's to retrofit the rear fog light switch?

ThomasGL

Was looking into buying DRL's for my purple little fiesta, went to Ford asking about it, had a quotation for upwards of £600 which included; new switch, DRL's, wiring, and activation within the software.. this to me sounds like more hassle than it's worth. I've been watching tutorials on using relays or even directly hard wiring them to the battery and then to the ignition live of the headlights, this is good but I would like some control of them.

would it be at all possible to disconnect my rear fog light from its switch, and run aftermarket DRL's on this switch? Or am I asking for a lot of hassle once again?

Many thanks :)

how would you switch on your rear fogs ?

and how would the DRL's dim down when you switch headlights on ?

i agree £600 for a dealer install is a bit excessive but you need to rethink how you go about this modification as to get them to work like factory equipment is more involved than just wiring a switched feed unfortunately. 

• Like 1

Do I necessarily need to be able to switch my rear fogs on by law? I've owned the car for 2 years, not once have I ever been in a situation to need them? 

And with regard to dimming, could I not splice into the switched live for the headlights? (Which once activated dim's the DRL's?

Hi Thomas, two things.  Yes, if you want to pass an MOT you have to have rear fog lights including an activation warning light of some sort - either in the switch or on the dash somewhere.  I was watching some sort of wiring loom on eBay that I had considered using in order to add DRL's myself.  I have no knowledge of the exact details of what it does and I'm not watching it any more, but that MAY be the easiest/most practical way of going about it.  BTW where were you thinking of putting them?  I was considering using the existing front fog location as mine aren't working anyway.

• Like 1

Well I thinking for mot purposes I could just reconnect the fog lights into the switch? Then reconnect(DRL's) after the test?

dont suppose you'd know the name or number for such a thing?

ive seen methods of hardwiring into the battery and then splicing into ignition live of the headlight wiring loom, but I'm unsure if this method allows the DRL's to dim once the heads are switched on?

With Regards to positioning, that's still not 100% as I've a bumper which has No cut-outs for fog lights (picture)

image.jpg

There are several cheap premade relays on eBay that just require an ignition live, headlight and earth connection to fit your DRLs. This would be the easiest way to fit DRLs legally. 

Check item 281677042030 and 141970876177 for some options. 

• Like 1

Found a set of DRL's with in-line dimming made by Ring. 

Ring - Lyra Daytime Running Lights-https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0037A3IEU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_cCELybM6S337A

Had to remove the headlight on the passenger side to get the connectors to the position I wanted them but other than that very straight forward to install and fit.

They remain at full brightness until the headlights(dipped) are switched on, took me about 45 minutes to do, would highly recommend! 

Photo 1 - Off

Photo 2 - Engine On

Photo 3 - headlights on

Next venture is buying new bulbs for the headlights and side lights. Anyone have any recommendations? ☺️

IMG_4461.JPG

IMG_4462.JPG

IMG_4463.JPG

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Tango said:

@ThomasGL for your sidelights buy from https://www.autobeam.co.uk/fiesta-mk7 amazing products covered by a 2 year warranty, as for headlights I prefer to use Osram Nightbreaker unlimited although thinking of trying the new laser product.

Thanks for the Reply Ryan! 

With the Nightbreakers, are the noticeably a white light? Or do they still have a yellow tint? 

Many thanks☺️

In comparison to my LED sidelights they have a slight tint but not very noticeable, but the light is a huge improvement over standard.

1 hour ago, ThomasGL said:

Thanks for the Reply Ryan! 

With the Nightbreakers, are the noticeably a white light? Or do they still have a yellow tint? 

Many thanks☺️

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club