Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta 06 1.4 tdci crank pulley

portobe17o

I am renewing the timing belt on my 06 1.4 tdci Fiesta, using a Haynes Manual in which they say, "remove the crankshaft pulley, noting the position of the woodruff key." Is it necessary to remove this pulley as I have already slipped the belt off and am ready to fit the new one?

P.s, I haven't got the new belt yet and don't want to just slip it over the bottom pulley if there is a reason that this pulley MUST be removed. Any advice will handy. Thanks.

Why tho? mick85? The belt is already off and both instruction manuals I have read, (Haynes and Ford) say "DO NOT TOUCH THE OUTER SENSOR RING OF THE SPROCKET WITH YOUR FINGERS OR ANYTHING METALLIC." So how on earth do you get it off? And, once again, why does it need to come off? Any advice greatly received.

How did you get the belt cover off then if you haven't removed the pulley?

possibly some confusion here. I think maybe some people are reading 'pulley' as the pulley that the alternator rubber belt goes on, which of course has to come off. I don't see why the toothed timing belt cog needs to come off. on my 1.6tdci I did not remove the toothed cog when doing the timing belt

Yes, I may have caused some confusion by saying pulley when I in fact meant sprocket. Well spotted Isetta!! Of course I have the auxillary belt pulley off and, after loosening the timing belt tensioner, have easily managed to slip the timing belt off the sprocket. I just wanted to know why Haynes is telling me that I have to remove the sprocket? If no-one knows of a good reason I shall just ignore Haynes and carry on at my own peril. And, "has to come off," is no good mick85, sorry. I need a reason.

Haynes often given you the long-winded version of repairs and so, as in this case, it is safe to ignore if you've managed without doing all the steps shown.

There a plastic cover behind crankshaft pulleyI don't know how u could take belt off on that engine without removing pulley did u even get timing marks right before removing belt

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

some people will say always change the water pump at same time due to the amount of work involved in changing it separately if it fails later.

what I would say is that if you have a genuine ford one on there then it might still last longer than if you replace it now with a cheap new one of poorer quality.

Recently someone on this forum replaced their water pump and after not too long the water pump stopped working as the plastic impeller broke off.

If you can do this work yourself and hence incur no labour cost I would not replace the water pump unless it is faulty.

I know not everyone will agree - but my main point is about "if you have a genuine ford one on there then it might still last longer than if you replace it now with a cheap new one of poorer quality"

(obviously check your water pump by hand for play and roughness whilst the belt is off)

I am changing the water pump as the old one feels a bit graunchy. Do people still use Hylomar or Hermetite or is the dry gasket considered sufficient these days?

I would use some kind of goo on the gasket. I wouldn't trust it otherwise. perhaps that's because I am old and from the days of red hermitite

I'm the same isetta. Just wouldn't feel right using a gasket without first getting some brightly coloured goo all over my hands!