Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For anyone with EATC (Climate Control in normal speak)

AndrewL

Hi everyone, just wondering how you normally have your climate control settings?

Since I've got my car about 3 1/2 weeks ago I've had it on 21.5 degrees on auto all of the time (apart from when it's on demist max when I get in in the morning). I know it's supposed to alter your fuel economy and affect performance but I'm getting about 35mpg on average, (only got 38 max in my 1.25 mk6 with the aircon never used) and I can't notice any real performance differences between on and off.

Also, isn't it best to keep the condenser and compressor going by running them enough (I hardly ever used the air con in my mk6 and as a result when I did try and use it, it was terrible... blew out lukewarm air all of the time).

Wondering what other peoples opinions are? :)

i havent got climate control but i have noticed the mpg drop off when using the aircon and also the aircon not being very cold through out the summer.

normally drove with the window instead of the aircon.

i leave climate control on auto most of the time i like the temp around 26 i avg 42mpg with it on, dont notice any change with performance, as a 1.4 it doesnt really perform anyway.

I've got DEATC in my Focus (getting normal aircon in the Fiesta though) and i usually leave it off, except in the summer months.

I usually leave the blower on minimum and temp on around 22.0 (unless there's a passenger who wants it warmer or cooler on their side in which case it could be cold on one side, warm on the other!!! :lol:)

Using the aircon every few weeks is a good idea to keep the system in good health :) I've had to clean it out once using a gas canister from the Ford garage to get rid of stinky bugs that were living in the system :( But apart form that, it's always worked fine. Can't say i'll use the aircon in the Fiesta much, unless it's a very wet day and the car is misting up excessively, or boiling hot in which case i'll have it set to "freezing" :P

Just keep it on Auto, simples. Then you'll never have to worry about it forming bacteria and smelling the car out and I doubt you'll notice any significant performance issues.

The experts will advise you it's better to leave it on, so that's good enough for me.

Just keep it on Auto, simples. Then you'll never have to worry about it forming bacteria and smelling the car out and I doubt you'll notice any significant performance issues.

The experts will advise you it's better to leave it on, so that's good enough for me.

Not strictly true about the bacteria formation - if certain conditions exist, then bacteria will grow whether it's operational permanently or not

As for experts, well, i've heard some of them say that using the aircon will use 2-3mpg, and also that below 50mph it's more economical to open a window to keep the car cool, as the drag produced is less effective on the fuel consumption, but that above 50mph, the aircon is more economical. Personally (being an expert in everything :P) i find that having aircon on whatever the conditions definitely used form fuel, which means less money in my wallet. Which is a bad thing, therefore i use aircon only when needs must.

Simples :lol:

Not strictly true about the bacteria formation - if certain conditions exist, then bacteria will grow whether it's operational permanently or not

As for experts, well, i've heard some of them say that using the aircon will use 2-3mpg, and also that below 50mph it's more economical to open a window to keep the car cool, as the drag produced is less effective on the fuel consumption, but that above 50mph, the aircon is more economical. Personally (being an expert in everything :P) i find that having aircon on whatever the conditions definitely used form fuel, which means less money in my wallet. Which is a bad thing, therefore i use aircon only when needs must.

i thought it was us scots who were the tight waud's! :P

i thought it was us scots who were the tight waud's! :P

:lol:

I've got a Scottish brother-in-law - deep pockets, short arms - springs to mind lol!

As for me (being Welsh) i'd like to think of myself as thrifty rather than tight!! :lol:

:lol:

I've got a Scottish brother-in-law - deep pockets, short arms - springs to mind lol!

As for me (being Welsh) i'd like to think of myself as thrifty rather than tight!! :lol:

not thrifty when it comes to your cars extra's tho ya jammy !Removed!! :P

I have DEATC in my Focus and have it set to 21 degrees permanently. I have an Eco setting and an AC setting - I tend to have the AC setting on (more effective) about 95% of the time. Being diesel, I still see over 50 mpg, lol, and a moderate drive will still see 60 mpg on the motorway/A-roads

TO combat the bacteria, you just have to make sure to keep the air circulatory bits dry. So if you've had it on cold in the summer, switch of the AC and let the blower blow warm air for a few minutes to dry it out. otherwise you'll end up with condensation on the inside. Moist environments=moouuld

Thanks for the replys everyone. Think I'll just stick with leaving the climate control on all the time. So damn conveinient to just let it just look after itself while I have fun doing the driving! :)

If you're that bothered about mpg, why you driving round in a gas guzzler? ;)

So how much money do you actually lose if you use A/C? lets say from a full tank,. How many gallons is that?

If you're that bothered about mpg, why you driving round in a gas guzzler? ;)

Read my sig.

Just cos my ST currently returns an average of 26mpg when driven conservatively, up to 34mpg on a steady motorway cruise, doesn't stop it from drinking at the rate of 7.5mpg when pushed hard over my favourite mountain road. So i like to save every drop for when i can best use it.

And it's going next week cos having been unemployed for nearly a year, i simply cannot afford to keep it any longer. I've had it nearly 2 years, so it's time for a change anyway. Pity that my previous plan of chopping it in for an RS didn't happen :( Never mind, !Removed! happens, and it won't stop me enjoying the Fiesta when it arrives :D

Read my sig.

Just cos my ST currently returns an average of 26mpg when driven conservatively, up to 34mpg on a steady motorway cruise, doesn't stop it from drinking at the rate of 7.5mpg when pushed hard over my favourite mountain road. So i like to save every drop for when i can best use it.

And it's going next week cos having been unemployed for nearly a year, i simply cannot afford to keep it any longer. I've had it nearly 2 years, so it's time for a change anyway. Pity that my previous plan of chopping it in for an RS didn't happen :( Never mind, !Removed! happens, and it won't stop me enjoying the Fiesta when it arrives :D

Heard the ST's were crap with fuel, christ, my M3 is hardly any worse. :lol:

I stick mine on auto then just adjust the temperature. if it's cold like currently I just hit Max for defrosting until the engines warmed.

And as a tip, if you switch OFF the AC and the Auto Mode, then select a high temperature, wack the fan on full speed and then select Face for the air flow. if you then adjust the side vents to aim at the side windows that frozen side window defrosts in about 1 to 2 mins!! I've had to do it and was nicely surprised at it's speed!.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club