Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering wheel vibration

Jonanstee

Hey guys

ive noticed over the past week or so my steering wheel vibrating a lot when going down the motorway. It used to do it ever so slightly but it feels a lot worse recently. You can see the whole thing shaking. 

It only happens when accelerating and as soon as I release the pedal it's fine.

any idea what could be causing this and how easy of a fix will it be?

also..

when taking off from stationary I occasionally have a knocking noise from the back passenger side of the car.  It is pretty loud and feels like something is loose. It doesn't happen all the time though

any ideas on this one?

I could only add that it sounds like it could be wheel balancing weights have gone astray or it could be a wheel bearing that needs replacing or at least attention.

The knocking could be the rear bushes need replacing.

That is where i would start any how.

Regards Adam

Rear knocking noise could be loose shield bolts or loose exhaust.

1 hour ago, Jonanstee said:

It only happens when accelerating and as soon as I release the pedal it's fine

This doesn't sound like a normal wheel balance or tyre problem. I'd get the front suspension and driveshafts checked out.

21 minutes ago, eddie eastwood said:

Rear knocking noise could be loose shield bolts or loose exhaust.

Exhaust is all good. Just had it recently welded back on haha. It does sound like it's coming from close to the wheel

27 minutes ago, ace666 said:

I could only add that it sounds like it could be wheel balancing weights have gone astray or it could be a wheel bearing that needs replacing or at least attention.

The knocking could be the rear bushes need replacing.

That is where i would start any how.

Regards Adam

Is there an easy way I could test these myself or will I need to get a mechanic to look at it?

2 minutes ago, mjt said:

This doesn't sound like a normal wheel balance or tyre problem. I'd get the front suspension and driveshafts checked out.

It's only just gone through an mot last month. Would it not have been noticed then?

With the wheel weights you need a machine to find out for sure but you can look to see if their is any missing look for clean spots with a sticky residue on it , bearings put car on jacks and spin the wheel by hand and listen for grumblings that sound odd failing that take it to a mechanic.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Just now, ace666 said:

With the wheel weights you need a machine to find out for sure but you can look to see if their is any missing look for clean spots with a sticky residue on it , bearings put car on jacks and spin the wheel by hand and listen for grumblings that sound odd failing that take it to a mechanic.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Will have to take a look after work today then :) thank you

A suspension problem should have been flagged up in the MOT but if it's a problem with a driveshaft maybe not. They have to check the security of the CV joint boots but I don't think they are required to test for excessive play in the joints themselves or even for a slightly bent shaft.

Hey guys. I've noticed this only happens on the m3. Is there any chance it could just be the road? Fingers crossed ;)