Do Not Sell My Personal Information

snapped wet timing belt

aronw2004

hi everyone. my 2008 titanium 1.8 tdci 62000 milles came to a holt this morning. got towed to the main garage and without further investigation tomortow the head mechanic is ptity sure the "lower wet timing belt" the one thats in the oil has snapped. 

having had a quick browse on the web this belt isnt due to be replaced till 125k or 10 years. is this common?

whats going on and should this have been changed? 

han new timing belt on 59000 jan 2016 due to a small leak on the water pump. 

think the repair on this will be heavy. 😕

have you or previous owner used any engine flush prior to engine oil change?

i personaly havent. id have to check, but there is no mention of engine flush on the service invoice at 59000

Is this a main dealer most garages prob just change top belt wet belt requires fair few special tools an is bit of nightmare not to many would change at that mileage an how has he diagnosed snapped wet belt ford won't stand over that time if u full service history at right interval time or mileage is not carried out

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

hi. no not at a main dealer but a well established large garage. 15 mechanics there. the previous service was at a ford dealer but not the timing belt and water pump change. that was done at another local garage. the belt thats broken isnt due to be changed so cant see what diference it would make if it was setviced at a local garage or main dealer. would a main dealer suggest changing a belt at less than half the recomended interval?

Yeah if it's not right oil used or full service history with genuine ford parts they won't stand over the time if ur lookin for ford cover any of expenses

ah right. i didnt think of that. so do you think if the service book is stamped and correct oil ect then i might have a case to argue with a ford garage? 

is there a way to test the current oil thats in the engine? 

Definitely have a case is engine complete striped do they know Wat failed

will know the full damage on monday. had a look at the service book. everything is up to date but not done at a main dealer. 

If they use genuine for parts u be ok but I highly doubt they did

snapped wet belt confirmed. teeth go first then the belt shredds appart says the mechanic. seen 3 of these in the last 18months. apparently ford changed back to the chain on the 09 engine. timing belt was fine and like new. 3 bent valves from the initial inspection, but the cam was fine. head will be off tomorow to see if the damage to the pistons. 

• 2 weeks later...

well i need a new engine. saw the engine today and all 4 pistons are damaged. hole in 2 of them and the other wer dented. 

the wet belt was shreded to bits and thats what failed. all the stuff that run on that belt were fine said the mechanic.

been to my local ford dealer, he gave me a customer service line to ring.

got told there that id be better off sending an email with all the details.

then got a reply days later. that didnt answer any of the points that i raised or asked.

got told to ring customer service and go to my local ford dealer. 

this is the reply i got-

Good Morning Mr Aron Williams Thank you for contacting us however we recommend that you contact your local Ford Dealer regarding the concerns you are having. They are best equipped to diagnose and resolve any concerns you may have. You can find contact details for the service department of your local Ford Dealer at: http://www.ford.co.uk/SBE/DealerLocator We hope this information helps however if you have any further questions then please do not hesitate to get in touch. Kind regards, Vivian Banda Ford Customer Relationship Centre -----Original Message----- From: aronwilliams@hotmail.co.uk Sent: 14/02/2017 20:44:46 Subject: C-Max Engine Dear Ford, I Have a 08 1.8tdci ford c-max titanium. Last Thursday this vehicle broke down without any warning on the way to our hospital appointment. It was recovered by a Garage that I have been using for all of my vehicles through the years. The next day I was informed of the bad news by them. Apparently a belt had broken, Upon further inspection to the engine he showed me that valves in the head had bent, and after removing the cylinder head, all four pistons had substantial damage to them as a result. I am baffled as how this could have happened, so he explained to me that there is a so called “wet belt” on my engine that’s in the oil and this had failed. After returning home I looked at the service book to see when this belt should have been changed but I couldn’t find no mention of it there so I found the information on the ford forum. They say there that its due at 125k or 10 years. Now I know this is only a guide, but ford obviously expect it to last up to those references otherwise it wouldn’t be in your guide. Now imagine my disappointment to find that this has happened to my car that has only covered 67000. Have I missed out on a previous recall or something as I’m told by my local ford dealer that these engines were only produced between 08 and 09 and that ford has gone back to the previous design with a chain instead of belt. I’m looking forward to here what fords opinion on this matter is. 

anyone got recomendations of remanufactured engines company. had a quote off engineengeneering.co.uk

anyone used them in the past. seems up to scratch. 12m waranty unlimited millage.

• 2 years later...

Hi there, I know that it might be late, but I'd like to say, that nearly one year ago my car broke down on the road, I was told it was the wet belt, it happened after 8 months and less then 8.000 it was replaced, the garage refused to fixed it as they said they didn't do that job, they had only replaced the upper one, but my Bill said : timing belt kit replacement ( I have to say that, it wasn't an official garage but it was a big brand, no every single garage does this job, I was told in many places that it's hard to do it ) they said they didn't do those jobs in that company ) therefore I towed the car to another garage, which one open the engine, and unfortunately it was completed gone, but I have got a really good advise from the owner of that garage, and he helped me to take the case to RMIF ( the garage usually are joint to some association which runs a free and legal dispute case, yes "they are free", you have to ask the garage if they are joint any and which one ) it takes long time, I repaired the car, I set up a second hand engine ( I had found some companies with a full refurbished engine, one in Essex, gave a way 2 years of full warranty and six months full service and a few check outs, but they had to do the job, and I live in North of England, it would be really expensive to move the car to there ) my car broke down on 23 06 2018 and I won the case around 09 01 2019, they paid my back all the bills ( towing bill, open the engine, second hand engine, set up, change the battery and two brake disk and all braking pads, one of the tires, because the car was without use for months aaah, they paid my commute bills) it was a pain in the *****, but before I took the case to the association, I gathered some information from different garage, one of them was from Ford in Leeds, good people!! It worth to take the case as Futher as must be while you know you are right!!. That was my case, a nightmare, I was bulling by the manager of the garage I got emails from the head office of the company, blaming me. But at the end, they paid

• Like 2

Good result in the  end , anduse ful, has nfo, thanks

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club