Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 Ford Kuga Tailgate reopens on its own.

Jack Bray

Hi Folks,

I am very new to this online type of discussions so please forgive any fluffs I make.  I am in my Eightieth year and was lucky enough to be come the proud owner of a Kuga Titanium X. 

I absolutely loved the car and spend my days hillwalking with my trust companion Max.  I started to get an oil change warning after 11,000kms.  The vehicle was not due a service for another 4 months so I put it down to a fault.  I contacted the garage and was told to drive away until my service due date.  I then found that the automatic boot would re-open about 20 seconds after it closed.  This has happened on at least a dozen occasions.  Unfortunately due to the oil warning on the dash I didn't get the warning telling me that the boot was open. 

This boot opening has seen the dog jumping out of the vehicle while it is moving.  I have returned the vehicle to the garage and they are insisting after almost 3 weeks of testing that it must be human error.  My son and daughter have driven the vehicle and the same issue has arisen.

I would be really grateful if you folks could share if you have experienced anything similar.  I unfortunately cannot drive the vehicle because I'm afraid for my dog, and I'm not in a position to change the vehicle because I have had it adapted for disability purposes. 

I would like to thank you for taking the time to read my little moan,

Kind regards,

Jack & Max.

If you can get it to do it fairly regularly, have a passenger video it happening then take the evidence to your dealer.

The problem with car manufacturer warranties is that without proof the manufacturer will not pay the dealer for the warranty work.

This gives them the ammo they need to take it further.

Sometimes Ford will send out engineers from HQ to investigate further if a fault is proved but cannot be fixed.

Hi Alexp,

I really appreciate your reply.  I will certainly take your advice and round up the grandkids for the job.  I think the garage and Ford are putting the matter down to my fair few years on the clock as it were.  The service Manager is trying all he can to be fair.  I think the Grandkids are going to make some more pocket money.

Again, many thanks for your reply and help.

Kind regards,

Jack.

After watching a recent Kuga advert, your car doesn't have the hands free tailgate (the "kick" activated one)? A long shot, but if it is, is there a faulty sensor detecting bumps over the road?

• 2 years later...

Hi , I have had a problem that I lock the car up and twice now neighbours have knock to let me know that my boot is open, I'm concerned that some other cars remote is making my boot open  beginning to think the security of the vehicle is weak , Ive been lucky nothing has been stolen from the car. 

• 9 months later...

Does the car have keyless entry ?  I have never experienced a tailgate opening in a moving car, but I have had my passive key in my pocket and the tailgate on my Edge has opened or the global opening windows have all opened when I’ve been doing other things. I know on my Edge if I activate the tailgate release on the dash whilst driving, it will not open. 

On 11/24/2020 at 7:38 PM, Edge of Reason said:

I know on my Edge if I activate the tailgate release on the dash whilst driving, it will not open. 

It was the same on our old 17plate Kuga, while chugging along the motorway at 70mph I went to hit the re-circ button and for some reason hit the boot open button. Was rather relieved when it just beeped at me as the thought of emptying the boot over the M27 didn't thrill me.

Not sure on our 69plate but I'd be very surprised if it was different.

You should be able to clear the oil change message by just pushing the "OK" button on the left of the steering wheel.

Hi, im new on here and was wondering if anyone can help. I have a kuga 2016, when i open the boot by pressing either the keyfob or on the inside panel the boot will open fully but will then go to close automatacally straight away.

Was wondering if anyone has had the same problem or have any ideas

• 9 months later...

Hi, I am currently driving a 2019 Titanium Kuga, granted I haven't experienced the tailgate opening but I have noticed when I lock the car on a night it is open on a morning when the key is in the house. This has happened on numerous occasions as well

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club