Do Not Sell My Personal Information

S Max. Intermittent loud thumping engine noise.

Kali

Hi There. 

Hope someone can help as I have a worrying noise developed from the engine and I cant understand what it could be.

Its 1.8 diesel, 2008 with 83000 miles.

Its happened 3 times in the last month. It happen on 2 consecutive days from a cold start and again today.

This weekend its been driven Friday, Saturday and today fairly long journeys but today after driving around 20 miles i was driving towards a parking spot and this really load thumping/tapping sound started again. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx8ncKWOoQt1OW82R2JRcFJUX1U/view?usp=sharing

I stopped and restarted and it was still happening. After several hours I went back to the car and the noise was only slight and now the car is back to normal.

Im confused :-(

Hope someone can kindly help solve this mystery.

Thanks

4 hours ago, Kali said:

I have a worrying noise developed from the engine

To my ear, and from the video, it does not sound like it is from inside the engine. It sounds like some bit of ancillary equipment bumping about and hitting something. It sounded a bit louder at the back of the engine.

I would check the engine mounts for any appreciable movement, and the exhaust, cat & turbo.

But generally going around looking for something that has come loose, and the engine vibration makes it move.

Wiring connectors, pipes, mounting brackets, anything like that.

Thank you. Yes I was talking to someone this morning and they have suggested the same thing. 

I will take a look as soon as I get chance and I will report back here :-)

• Like 1

Hi. 

Ive just been told its the Dual Mass Flywheel. So with a clutch change and fitting over £1000 :-(

2 hours ago, Kali said:

Ive just been told its the Dual Mass Flywheel. So with a clutch change and fitting over £1000

Ughh.

I have had another listen, and I guess it could be, seems in the right area.

Have the starter motor removed, which is pretty easy, and look for iron filings (metal swarf) inside the bellhousing. With an inspection mirror or snake camera it might be possible to see inside. Either that or be sure the verdict is from someone 100% trustable! Removing the gearbox is quite a big job, so it is worth being sure. It does not quite match some other descriptions I have heard. 83k is a bit of a low mileage for a DMF failure, though I think it can vary a lot.

Thanks for the help and advice Peter.

Unfortunately it was the DMF. Had it changed today along with a new clutch.

All working great now but I am £695 out of pocket :-(  

1 hour ago, Kali said:

All working great now but I am £695 out of pocket

I have copied the sound onto my system for future reference!!

£700 is a lot of dosh, but it is still over £300 less than you, or I, thought it would be. Hopefully it will be good for another 80 to 120k miles now, if you keep the car that long.

Just before Christmas, a garage overheated my clutch badly doing a test to try to find a noisy wheel bearing. Basically trying to spin the wheels (up on a lift), but the traction control / ABS would not let it. In persisting with trying, the inexperienced mechanic was slipping the clutch until it filled the place with an appalling stink, like gas and burning rubber. I have been looking for oil leaks, clutch slip or DMF noise since then, expecting it to go anytime. Partly my fault, I should have realised what was happening, and stopped the test before then, but it is not easy at a garage.

My car is on 156k, it must have had a clutch replacement (it was a police car!), but that would be at least 50k miles ago now, I guess. It could be a bill coming my way all too soonunsure.png

I have always avoided wide throttle openings below about 1500 rpm, to reduce the stress on the DMF. Changing down before the engine even feels a bit lumpy. Max torque is at 1900rpm, and that should be what the DMF is designed for, but the DMF travel (and wear) will increase rapidly below this engine speed. DMF failure at 83k suggests either it was poor quality to start with, or has been overheated at some time, or used heavily at low rpm, by a previous owner quite possibly.

• Like 1

Thanks for the extra info Peter and I will keep that in mind whilst im driving as I do wish the car to last a long time. Until my kids grow up and I dont have to be the family bus lol.

I now have the Airbag light on :-( This only happened after I picked the car up Friday from the Garage :-(

Found the Airbag light fault.

Just a loose connection under the driver seat :smile:

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
Thanks for the help and advice Peter.
All working great now but I am £695 out of pocket :-(  
I am or was £1630...poorer..mk3 mondeo dual mass and the dodarrs..thats at a ford main dealer...OUCH...

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, V6 Lover said:

I am or was £1630...poorer..mk3 mondeo dual mass and the dodarrs..thats at a ford main dealer...OUCH...

Holy cow, why would you go to a main dealer. 🤑 There are various web sites these days that make it easy to find a trusted local independent.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Holy cow, why would you go to a main dealer. [emoji857] There are various web sites these days that make it easy to find a trusted local independent.
Good point..i get peace of mind even though i dont actually know how long Ford main dealers guarantee their work..they replaced my abs module 10 years ago and it is working fine, the mondeo was only 4 yrs old at the time and was outta warranty..cost..£740 odd quid for module and all in cost £1200...so now the mondog is 14 yrs old and 57k miles.. ,the clutch going out wasnt really a suprise..and Fords price £1730 didnt shock me....these st engines are nice and reliable if looked after...oil..oil..oil..keep it honey coloured dont let it get black, i change oil every 3 to 4 k miles.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club