Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poor mpg focus mk2

madman

Hi all

I have a ford focus mk2 1.6 ti-vct and I'm only getting 22 mpg that's going by the digital clock mpg display on dashboard.

I changed the oil, plugs, plug leads, air filter last august.

Is there anything else I could try to improve the mpg I know ford book says 32 but not chance achieving that or is there test for mpg

Thank you

It is a bit bat tbh. I have 2006 1,6ti-vct estate and I am getting about 30-32(8,8..9,2 l/100km) and this is with -12;-5 C and studded winter tires and i do mostly short trips.

-Maybe you or previous owners have used aftermarket air filter that needed to be oiled? In that case the Mass Airflow Sensor might be covered with oil/dirt which could influence your MPG. You might need to clean this. Mine was pretty dirty even without  ever using aftermarket air filters. However look around how to clean MAF sensor because you could easily ruin it if done improperly.

-Other thing that might influence this is PCV valve. it is relatively inexpensive part but will help keep your inlet manifold cleaner.

-Maybe you should crunch the numbers by your self. Just get full tank of gas, check the mileage until you fill up again. Maybe results shown by you'r car are not accurate?

• Like 1

My focus idles ok on about 750/800rpm just poor mpg. I heard there not great on mpg and I thought I get bit more like 28 ish but not near the ford book quotes 32. As for maf sensor I've never looked at it or cleaned it. I changed air filter and there was a tiny little oil sponge filter in there from breather hose. Wouldn't the air filter be really dirty to have affect on maf sensor.

48 minutes ago, madman said:

I get bit more like 28 ish but not near the ford book quotes 32. As for maf sensor I've never looked at it or cleaned it.

Looking on the Honest John real MPG section, the Ford figure is 42, and the user's real average is about 36, so your 22 looks pretty terrible!

Like Tonis says, it is never a good idea to totally trust the in-car displays. Resetting the trip counter at each fuel fill, then using the actual litres (4.54 litres = 1 Gallon) put in from the till receipt, and the miles since the previous fill is the best way to get your mpg. This will be an average over all the trips in that time, so may be distorted if you do an unusual long journey, or more short ones than usual.

However, the difference here is big enough to show that something is not right. Driving like a maniac in urban congestion, blasting off every set of lights to screech to a halt a few yards later, that could do it laugh.png. But assuming your driving is relatively normal, (despite the user name!), then it looks like there is a fault with the car.

On diesels, it is possible to simply disconnect the MAF to test whether it is faulty or contaminated. But diesels have both a MAF (flow sensor) and a MAP (pressure sensor), so can use the MAP when the MAF is disconnected or broken. The 1.6VVT only has the MAF, so this may not work so well. If you have a diagnostic scanner (a basic one should do), then it is worth trying this. It will put the EML on, so the scanner will be handy to verify why, and to reset it when reconnecting the MAF. But it may not run at all, or go into severe limp mode without the MAF.

Sometimes it is possible to see if the MAF is dirty or oily, by looking down the intake hose, or removing the MAF. If dirty it can be cleaned with alcohol (meths or IPA will do), using a very soft brush with long bristles, to avoid any damage to the delicate sensor.

You seem to have looked at the other obvious suspects, plugs & leads. A powerful diagnostic system like Forscan can monitor fuel trims and oxygen sensor readings to see if the car is running rich. But this gets a bit technical. I would say that the next suspect after MAF is the oxygen sensor(s), as they control the fuel / air mix. But there are two on the 1.6VVT, and a major discrepancy between them should raise an error code (DTC), and put the EML on. So I would advise proper diagnostic checks before splashing out cash on those.

An exhaust or exhaust manifold leak before the O2 sensors can cause mixture problems, by allowing air in. But you should be able to hear that if present. If there is any leakage, get that fixed first.

Since this MPG is costing quite a lot, it may be worth getting a mobile mechanic / car tune expert to look at it, or even take it to a local, trustable garage. But I would be wary of Ford dealerships with something like this, they often have surprisingly poor technical knowledge, and can be very expensive.

Thank you for the very helpful info. It's a petrol 1.6 ti-vct. Been driving it today and digital display ready 25.3. Had look under bonnet see that maf on my air filter cover held down by couple screws. About a foot in front of that I have looks like another senser it's blue but the wiring goes into the loom of the maf.

I have no error codes currently on dash. Only error code ever i had was lambada senser and that was fixed by the garage. I have a basic code reader.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madman said:

see that maf on my air filter cover held down by couple screws. About a foot in front of that I have looks like another senser it's blue

I can not find any reference to a 2nd senor there. The info I have says the MAF is a combined flow and temperature unit. Maybe on the earlier Foci the intake temperature sensor was a separate unit, and that is what you see.

The temperature sensor is less likely to be the fault, it would have to be well out to have that sort of effect. And that would usually throw a DTC and the EML.

Pic of MAF: E52420.jpg

One thing I have recalled, though it may just add confusion, is that these cars can operate in open loop and closed loop mode.

In open loop the MAF is used to estimate the fuel needed. This mode is only used during start-up, unusual or unstable conditions, or if there is a fault.

In closed loop, the O2 sensors (aka Lambda sensors) are used to fully control the fuel for best combustion. This is the normal mode, and the MAF is not used, or has little effect.

(If your old sensor was doing the lambada, a Brazilian dance, then it must have been well dodgy.wink.png. Blame the spellchecker!)

If your car is stuck in open loop mode for some reason, then it is possible the fuel consumption will be high. Some diagnostic tools will tell you which mode the car is in.

15 hours ago, madman said:

Hi all

I have a ford focus mk2 1.6 ti-vct and I'm only getting 22 mpg that's going by the digital clock mpg display on dashboard.

I changed the oil, plugs, plug leads, air filter last august.

Is there anything else I could try to improve the mpg I know ford book says 32 but not chance achieving that or is there test for mpg

Thank you

Mine is 2.0 Petrol. I thought mine is bad. It is around 30 mpg (Mixed city & motorway) :(

Does my maf need cleaning and how do I do it?.

What do I need to buy to clean it?

Please thank you

How far are you driving it?

Are you doing short journeys or long ones. On a long journey that is pretty terrible, if all you are doing is short trips then it's not so much.

My engine is also a 1.6 Ti-VCT and if your driving is like mine then it's probably normal, 
I mainly do short urban trips but I do like to get up to speed, my current Average MPG is mid to low 20's (not reset the computer for a while).

When I fill up with poor MPG figures it will tell me I have a 250 Mile range, if I'm doing motorways and MPG is good it will say 330/350 when filled up.

I took this after the 772.6 mile trip to Cornwall and back, averaged 42.5 MPG which is bang on the Ford figure,

this was 70/80mph Motorway, several 50mph Speed Limits and a few short urban trips, but generally long straight roads, nothing like my day to day driving.

20150628_123921_HDR.jpg

The trip down is 369 Miles and I've done it on 1 tank with about 1/8th of the tank left, so on a good run it will do 400 Miles.

I only get 35mpg out of my 1.0 EcoBoost Fiesta.  This is whilst doing 5/6/7 mile journeys to work - all of which is in London traffic.  Such journeys really kill your fuel efficiency!

8 minutes ago, RAIDER32 said:

My engine is also a 1.6 Ti-VCT and if your driving is like mine then it's probably normal, 
I mainly do short urban trips but I do like to get up to speed, my current Average MPG is mid to low 20's (not reset the computer for a while).

When I fill up with poor MPG figures it will tell me I have a 250 Mile range, if I'm doing motorways and MPG is good it will say 330/350 when filled up.

I took this after the 772.6 mile trip to Cornwall and back, averaged 42.5 MPG which is bang on the Ford figure,

this was 70/80mph Motorway, several 50mph Speed Limits and a few short urban trips, but generally long straight roads, nothing like my day to day driving.

20150628_123921_HDR.jpg

The trip down is 369 Miles and I've done it on 1 tank with about 1/8th of the tank left, so on a good run it will do 400 Miles.

That's pretty much what I get from my 1.6 X reg old girl, if not slightly more when I drive carefully. I think I managed to push about 450 miles out of the old girl from brim to empty, not too shabby from the Zetec SE engine, with approaching 140,000 miles on the clock.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, madman said:

Does my maf need cleaning and how do I do it?.

What do I need to buy to clean it?

Sometimes it is possible to see if the MAF is dirty or oily, by looking down the intake hose, or removing the MAF. If dirty it can be cleaned with alcohol (meths or IPA will do), using a very soft brush with long bristles, to avoid any damage to the delicate sensor. (T'was in my post a long way up now, but rather buried!)

You get meths from Halfords or Screwfix, IPA (Iso-Propyl Alcohol) is a widely used electronics cleaner available by mail order. Small brushes like artists paint brushes can be got on line or in art/craft shops.

I had quick look at maf. Two torque screws and slides upwards out. Half is plastic and half metal with a tiny slot on one side about 1cm. Had look in that tiny slot and could only see couple metal silver bits from but I saw looked silvery and clean. But couldn't really see on the lower part looking in from that tiny slot if that makes sense.

I have the 1.6 auto non Ti-VCT (which is far less fuel efficient), and yet I can easily get 44 MPG on a long run. 46-47 if I drive like a granny, and the weather outside is > 12C.

Has anyone here cleaned there maf on focus and the success in doing it.

Is it safe spraying it with electrical contact cleaner.

Halfords Electrical Contact Cleaner 400ml 3.99

• 2 weeks later...

I went in secret focus menu and see I had 25 percent in tank. I added some fuel, reset trip counter and waited till was 25 percent again. After it reached that I looked at milage and how much I put in. I worked it out to 25.1 and my dash said 25.5. what you think good or bad mpg

This is town driving

6 minutes ago, madman said:

I went in secret focus menu and see I had 25 percent in tank. I added some fuel, reset trip counter and waited till was 25 percent again. After it reached that I looked at milage and how much I put in. I worked it out to 25.1 and my dash said 25.5. what you think good or bad mpg

This is town driving

If you're driving around a town with only 30MPH or less roads, with traffic lights every few meters (e.g. London), I'd say that's quite normal. The official quoted urban cycle for my Focus is 26.7 MPG anyway, so you're hardly far off.

Could also try fuel n injector additive cleaner could have so crap in fuel lines or tank which would limit your mpg also.

i have 1.8tdci n drive heavy footed constantly n get more n this,