Which one of these two Focuses should i get

redrabbit

Struggling to decide between these two cars as they're really similar  

the mileage and trim levels are the main difference

OPTION 1: 

£10.500 1 Titanium X model 

22000 miles on the clock 

built in sat Nav (is this any good?)

it has the city pack, heated seats, a rear reverse camera and other bits I think  

http://www.thinkford.co.uk/used-cars/6904932-ford-focus-1.0-125-eco-boost-titanium-x-5dr/

OPTION 2: 

£10,900

Titanium navigator (with sat Nav obviously)

mileage is lower - 1200

https://www.jenningsforddirect.co.uk/used/view/ford/focus/reg/ek64dvu/#tablist1-tab2

which do you think is the better deal?

I'd go for option 1 has everything the newer one has except has much better headlights yeah it might have more mileage on it but it will still last you a very very long time, it looks nice :D

For that money u could get a new shape Focus 2015. But if these cars was ur options I agree with ubove get the first . The mileage won't make much difference and it's looks better has better wheels better kit and it's cheaper

3 hours ago, Ryan_Tango said:

I'd go for option 1 has everything the newer one has except has much better headlights yeah it might have more mileage on it but it will still last you a very very long time, it looks nice :D

56 minutes ago, mikeyd1 said:

For that money u could get a new shape Focus 2015. But if these cars was ur options I agree with ubove get the first . The mileage won't make much difference and it's looks better has better wheels better kit and it's cheaper

Thanks guys.

Getting the newer shape would mean that I'd probably have to drop down the trim level to Zetec. They look alright but it's just the inside that I have the issue with as I really want DAB radio (I know some have this) and Cruise Control.  

I will check them out though

EDIT: Ah yea just seen those that are 2015 and newer are different.  The Titanium is definitely out of my price range and I'm stretching myself as it is.

Not sure whether it's worth dropping the Titanium in favour of a newer Zetec model?  

Get a Titanium model, wish I did.  The Zetec doesn't come with electric rear windows as standard for example. Go for the first one. Xenon headlights would be the big selling point for me. The millage on the first one isn't high at all. 

As nice as DAB is, don't bet on the Ford system being even average.  Takes ages to tune into a station which, when you want to flick through your saved one, gets really annoying really fast!  I have driven other cars that have DAB (Vauxhall, Jaguar and MINI) and they have been great, so it's a shame.

Some people also report that it doesn't hold stations very well and you lose reception/get a "station not available" message.  I've only had this a few times, but then again, I live in London.

I'd go for the slightly older one though.  The TitX trim is great :)

i would go for the tit-x as i has all the gadgets you need and it`s the same as mine too and i`ve had no problems with mine 2012 model. dab radio is not all it`s cracked up to be, so don`t get to excited about that. you may want to change the title of your post to "which one of these two focuses should i get" :yes:

I would go for the new zetec and install a new dab system for the fixed dealership price of £100 and you can get seat heaters for about a Tenner.

That is a real shame about the DAB being rubbish. The only reason I was so keen was that I upgraded my radio in my mk1 to a Sony DAB radio and it's amazing. 

I listen to:

- LBC

- Talk sport

- Radio x

- Absolute Radio 

It's not the "odd stations" I like but that I can drive anywhere and the station is still available. 

im waiting for a call from the dealership. They've ordered the TitX car for me to be brought from another branch.

I can then test drive it. 

Question

Any tips on negotiation. The car is £10'500. It would be good to get under 10.

My dad keeps saying to ask for a full tank of fuel, new car mats etc... 

They offered me their finance but I think I prefer the bank. Only as then if I want to sell the far (unlikely) then it's easy and no problem. Plus the bank is the same amount per month - about £160. 

Dealers are more willing to knock money off if you go with their finance options.

There are advantages and disadvantages to going with the bank. You've mentioned one advantage. Another, which doesn't seem to be the case here, is that they can often be a better interest rate. Try shopping around. If you have Experience, use their credit score matching facility because the last thing you need is loads of searches of your credit file showing up.

The problem with an unsecured loan is that whilst you can sell the car slightly more easily, it can be trickier to walk away from the finance agreement. If the loan is secured against the car, you have more rights in this area. Unsecured loans also make it more difficult to borrow extra money. So if you have plans to get a mortgage, to get a credit card, or to borrow for home improvements - think very carefully.

Hope this helps.

48 minutes ago, redrabbit said:

They offered me their finance but I think I prefer the bank. Only as then if I want to sell the far (unlikely) then it's easy and no problem. Plus the bank is the same amount per month - about £160. 

If you take hire purchase finance for the car under the consumer finance act the finance provider is jointly and severally liable This means if you encounter a quality issue with the car you may be able to pursue the finance company in addition to the supplying dealer to correct the issue. Sometimes the finance company can apply pressure to the dealership to fix issues that it would otherwise try to avoid.

If you pay using a general personal loan from your bank this protection doesn't apply and your bank is not liable.

Similar rules apply to credit card purchases and I often use a credit card to pay a deposit because the credit card company is still jointly and severally liable for the total value of the goods even if I pay the balance in cash.    So if you decide to use a personal bank loan just pay the deposit i.e. £200 on a credit card (not a debit card) and you have some additional protection.

Option 1 - I have the X and it has quite a few toys if that's your thing.

17 hours ago, redrabbit said:

Struggling to decide between these two cars as they're really similar  

the mileage and trim levels are the main difference

OPTION 1: ..

which do you think is the better deal?

Black Mk3.5 Ti X with Sync II Nav,  appearance pack 2 i.e. privacy glass/18" alloys and lots of toys for £10999 on Autotrader -

http://imgselect.com/main/listings/ford-focus-1-0-ecoboost-t-titanium-x-hatchback-5dr-startstop/

Ignore some of the spec below it appears to be boiler plate. Just look at ETIS

Key Facts

• Hatchback
  • 22,517 miles
  • Manual
  • 1.0L
  • Petrol
WAS £11,499 (VIDEO ON REQUEST) ****GREAT LOOKING CAR BEEN LOOKED AFTER**** ****2 KEYS **** ***5 STAR FACEBOOK REVIEWS*** Next MOT due 29/11/2017, service history, Excellent bodywork, Interior - Excellent Condition, Tyre condition Excellent, BLACK, £89 administration fee applies on all car purchases,, IMG SELECT IS PART OF WARRINGTON MAZDA/SEAT,, IMG SELECT IS PART OF WARRINGTON MAZDA/SEAT. https://www.facebook.com/imgwarrington/?hc_location=ufi, £10,999 p/x welcome

This car comes with

8in Touchscreen, Air Conditioning, Cruise Control with Active Speed Limiter, DAB Radio, Dual Electronic Automatic Temperature Control, Enhanced Voice Control, Heated Front Seats, Parking Distance Sensor - Rear, Rear View Camera, Alloy Wheels - 17in 15-Spoke, bluetooth, Electric Operated Front Windows with One Touch Lowering on the Drivers Side, Ford Keyless Start, Ford Radio/CD, AUX, Ford SYNC3, Hill Start Assist, Power Operated Driver Seat, Quickclear Heated Windscreen, Rain Sensitive Windscreen Wipers, Thatcham Category 1 Alarm, Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), Upholstery - Partial Leather Trimmed Seat

Running costs

Urban mpg
49.6 mpg
Extra Urban mpg
68.9 mpg
Average mpg
60.1 mpg
CO2 emissions
108g/km
Annual Tax
£20

Performance

Engine power
123 bhp
Engine size
999 cc
Brochure Engine size
1.0 litres
Acceleration (0-60mph)
11.0 seconds
Top speed
120 mph
Drivetrain
Front Wheel Drive

Practicality

No. of doors
No. of seats

Driver Convenience

Trip/Fuel Computer
Standard
Front and Rear Carpet Floor mats
Standard
Ford Keyless Start
Standard
Dual Electronic Automatic Temperature Control
Standard
Ford MyKey with Ford Keyless Entry
Standard
Power Operated Driver Seat
Standard
Heated Front Seats
Standard
Centre Console with Armrest
Standard
Cruise Control with Active Speed Limiter
Standard
USB
Standard
Enhanced Voice Control
Standard
Ford Radio/CD, AUX, Ford SYNC3
Standard
Air Conditioning
Standard
Standard
Leather-Trimmed 3-Spoke Steering Wheel
Standard
Ford Key Free System
Standard
Steering Wheel Column - Rake - and Reach - Adjustable
Standard
Heated Rear Screen
Standard
Sports-Style Front Seats
Standard
Electric Operated Front Windows with One Touch Lowering on the Drivers Side
Standard
DAB Radio
Standard
Quickclear Heated Windscreen
Standard
Rain Sensitive Windscreen Wipers
Standard
8in Touchscreen
Standard
Upholstery - Partial Leather Trimmed Seat
Standard
Driver Seat Lumbar Adjust
Standard

Exterior Features

Alloy Wheels - 17in 15-Spoke
Standard
Body Colour Rear Spoiler
Standard
Electric, Heated Contrast Colour Door Mirrors with Integrated Turn Indicators
Standard
Mini Spare Wheel
Standard

Interior Features

Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror
Standard
Multi-Colour Ambient LED Lighting
Standard

Safety

Immobiliser
Standard
Front Passengers Airbag
Standard
Remote Central Locking
Standard
Centre Rear Seat Belt
Standard
Front Fog Lights
Standard
Electronic Brake - Force Distribution (EBD)
Standard
Pre-Tensioners, Load-Limiting Retractors and Height-Adjustable Mounts on Front Seat Belts
Standard
Drivers Airbag
Standard
Third Brake Light
Standard
Bi - Xenon Headlights with Adaptive Front Lighting and Jetwash, LED Day Running Lights
Standard
Electric Power-Assisted Steering (EPAS)
Standard
Hill Start Assist
Standard
Automatic Headlights
Standard
Rear View Camera
Standard
Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS) and Emergency Brake Assist (EBA)
Standard
Head Restraints Front and Rear
Standard
Parking Distance Sensor - Rear
Standard
Traction Control
Standard
Torque Vectoring Control
Standard
ISOFIX Compatible with Outer Rear Seats
Standard
Drivers and Front Passenger Side Impact Airbags and Side Curtain Airbags for Front and Rear
Standard
Intelligent Protection System (IPS)
Standard
Electronic Stability Programme (ESP)
Standard
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Standard
Active City Stop
Standard
Thatcham Category 1 Alarm
Standard

Technical

Emergency Assistance
Standard
Convenience Pack
Standard
City Pack
Standard

Trade Seller
 13 miles from M32 9RD
(01925) 903978
Services offered
These products and services may be available for this vehicle

Motor Codes member

Close Brothers Motor Finance
Please contact the retailer for more information

Second hand cars are so much cheaper in the UK than Ireland even accounting for exchange differences. It's not fair ha. A mk3.5 Titanium would be closer to 20.000 euro with this milage. 

Avi - that's a lovely car. Only issue is it's about 4 hours from where I am and about £1k more than my budget. 

The car I'm test driving tomorrow (option 1) is £10500 but I'm hoping to knock it down to £10k 

33 minutes ago, redrabbit said:

Avi - that's a lovely car. Only issue is it's about 4 hours from where I am and about £1k more than my budget. 

The car I'm test driving tomorrow (option 1) is £10500 but I'm hoping to knock it down to £10k 

I was going off your option 2 being £10900 ?? Personally I find the MK3.5 much better but that's just me.

Having trawled around Ford franchises and other large car dealers looking at late used cars I'd be amazed if you got £500 off but no harm trying.

Jennings wouldn't even spring for my train fare to collect a £16.5k car I was serious about at the time and that was also 4 hours away from me. Also no discount from the screen price and I walked away from some deals because the dealer wouldn't drop by £100 from the screen price. Seems to be a common sales model.

In the end I got a better deal on a brand new car via a broker.

Best of luck !  .

8 minutes ago, avi said:

I was going off your option 2 being £10900 ?? Personally I find the MK3.5 much better but that's just me.

Having trawled around Ford franchises and other large car dealers looking at late used cars I'd be amazed if you got £500 off but no harm trying.

Jennings wouldn't even spring for my train fare to collect a £16k car I was serous about at the time. Also no discount from the screen price and I walked away from some deals because the dealer wouldn't drop by £100 from the screen price. Seems to be a common sales model.

Best of luck !  

I really like that car Avi and the interior looks better than the slightly older one. 

Did you you say it was cheaper on autotrader. I can't see it. 

I may go for that one. Would involve travelling up from Reading (around 3 hours) 

16 minutes ago, redrabbit said:

I really like that car Avi and the interior looks better than the slightly older one. 

Did you you say it was cheaper on autotrader. I can't see it. 

I may go for that one. Would involve travelling up from Reading (around 3 hours) 

It's £10999 on Autotrader and says it's dropped from £11.5k so maybe they're keen to move it. Being sold by a used car dealer ISG that's part of a Mazda/Seat franchise group in Warrington.  I don't know if they have other sites and/or will transfer the car to view.

It's a pain travelling around as I know having travelled  to Jennings in South Shield from Manchester which is about 160 miles each way. In the end a wasted journey :blink:

try this link (Sorry i Can;t get the link to work !!!)

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201612100493329?price-from=10000&price-to=11000&postcode=m329rd&advertising-location=at_cars&fuel-type=Petrol&sort=price-asc&model=FOCUS&year-from=2014&radius=1500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&aggregatedTrim=Titanium X&make=FORD&page=2

negotiation is always a tricky thing. I think if you turn up at a car dealers unannounced (not having arranged the visit in advance) then it might be easier because you can say you were just passing and thought you'd have a look but are not that bothered.  If you have arranged the visit in advance and they know where you are coming from then they know you are keener.  It's a psychology game.

The last two cars I have bought were 150 miles away. I did not want a wasted journey so arranged to make sure it was still for sale and it would be there, but I reckon doing that does go against your chances of a better deal.

On one of those I did a minor bit of negotiation on the phone. I phoned them and said I see you have a black fiesta 1.6tdci. I am at a dealers 150 miles from you and they have a blue one. I would rather have  a black one but you are a bit more expensive and you are 150 miles away. I said what can you do to tempt me to come down there today and buy it. They told me to sod off and would do nothing.

I then tried another dealer 150 miles away in a different direction, saying the same thing and they said they would give me new car mats/full tank of fuel/years road tax(it was only £30 though). I did buy this car.

What I said to them both was true, I was at a dealers with a blue one. I would have bought the blue one, but my wife forbade me and said it had to be black or silver, it wasn't even for her to drive - but she laid down the law.

Whatever you do and however much you get chucked in to the deal or price knocked off,  someone will no doubt tell you how you could have done it better and got more off in their opinion.

There is no simple answer. As I say It's a psychology game. The approach will be different for different salesman. It's a skill that I do not claim to have

20 minutes ago, isetta said:

negotiation is always a tricky thing. I think if you turn up at a car dealers unannounced (not having arranged the visit in advance) then it might be easier because you can say you were just passing and thought you'd have a look but are not that bothered.  If you have arranged the visit in advance and they know where you are coming from then they know you are keener.  It's a psychology game.

The last two cars I have bought were 150 miles away. I did not want a wasted journey so arranged to make sure it was still for sale and it would be there, but I reckon doing that does go against your chances of a better deal.

On one of those I did a minor bit of negotiation on the phone. I phoned them and said I see you have a black fiesta 1.6tdci. I am at a dealers 150 miles from you and they have a blue one. I would rather have  a black one but you are a bit more expensive and you are 150 miles away. I said what can you do to tempt me to come down there today and buy it. They told me to sod off and would do nothing.

I then tried another dealer 150 miles away in a different direction, saying the same thing and they said they would give me new car mats/full tank of fuel/years road tax(it was only £30 though). I did buy this car.

What I said to them both was true, I was at a dealers with a blue one. I would have bought the blue one, but my wife forbade me and said it had to be black or silver, it wasn't even for her to drive - but she laid down the law.

Whatever you do and however much you get chucked in to the deal or price knocked off,  someone will no doubt tell you how you could have done it better and got more off in their opinion.

There is no simple answer. As I say It's a psychology game. The approach will be different for different salesman. It's a skill that I do not claim to have

Some dealers like jennings ford direct actually sell the cars over the internet and the car is delivered to you without even seeing it leaving very little room to negotiate.

To me it seems for many of the big dealer groups the price is set by accountants and the sales people have little say in it or ability to affect it. Generally the only time the price moves significantly is stock write down if it's been on sale at price x for x amount of weeks.

Very different to the good old days and I think the internet has been a leveller in this regard. 

Re the finance thing, if the dealer can offer you a DISCOUNT (say £500 deposit contribution), then take it, and pay it off after a month with the loan you 've taken from the bank... You'll have to pay the first month's interest, but will be quids in.  We recently got my wife a brand new Kia Rio that way, paid one payment then paid off the balance.. cost £80 in interest, so we netted £420 off the car 

• Like 1

If u can't get nothing off at least say full tank of juice and matts and say u will leave a deposit there and then that always gets there attention. But try and say do it for 10 k and I'll sign the papers now they will prob meet u half way when he has he's little talk with manager

Those running costs are hilarious. There is no way in hell you'll get near 49mpg urban unless you drive in the sort of manner that annoys everyone else on the planet and even then 45 would be a pipe dream!

I called earlier, car is still there. 

Luckily  my dad has offered me £6k loan so interest free and I will pay him back probably over 2.5 years. 

The guy was very hostile when I mentioned discount. Said it's already been discounted. 

No fuel - they're a small business, no fuel card and never offer that incentive. 

Im on the back foot as it's a 3-4 hour train journey. I'd be happy with a gesture or a couple of hundred pounds. 

I will try and go up Friday 

"when he has he's little talk with manager ". (mikeyd1)

I always think this is part of the psychology game . the salesman will do his best to convince you he is your friend and always says he is trying to get the best deal for you but says his manager won't let him. this is a bit of passing the buck and grinding you down to the point where you give in and pay up. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club