Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Dogs Who Choose Not to Bark

GMX

Pipper, unlike most dogs, doesn't seem to want to bark at anything.:unsure:  In fact, I've never heard her bark at all. :ohmy: 

Whilst I've not had her long (13 days), I would've thought she might want to utter a woof at something!

Is she so laid back and at peace with the world, nothing bothers her enough to bark at it?:unsure:

Has she decided, life's too short to expend energy on barking?:unsure:

Anyone else got a dog who chooses not to bark?

Unless of course.....she has been trained in her previous pre-rescue home not to bark, and now she just won't:mellow:

Want to swap her with my parents' Doberman? That thing gets on my nerves. So much so, I tend to cut visits short as the thing will bark at 5am without fail and I can't get back to sleep! It'll then start whining at 8am, as that's when my dad gets home from work and it wants a walk. It's either a case of drive the 150 miles home or risk having a huge bust up because I'm tired and they seem to treat the thing like their own flesh and blood! Any criticism of the 'parenting' and it's like a slap in the face!

Theirs was a rescue dog too and because I don't live with them, I can see the contrast between the relatively well behaved dog they rescued and now. Amazing how dogs work mentally as I think theirs now believes it's the pack leader. When I go down, I shout at it. My mum in particular treats it like a child that has fallen over and cut their knee.

I guess what I'm trying to say is - if the dog seems pretty happy, don't knock the fact she doesn't bark!

End of rant :blush:

• Like 2

My 3 dogs bark only on command [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 2

our dog whines a bit , and only ever heard her bark when really excited chasing birds. other than that nothing. she wouldnt be a good guard dog .
even as a puppy she didnt bark.

• Like 2

My mum's dog only ever barks when someone comes to the door, otherwise it's only in her sleep, lol.

My thought is it has been trained out of Pipper. My mum's dog is petrified of tea towels and rolled up news paper when you go fly/bug swatting. Disgusting, wish I could go hit her previous owners over the head, to see how they like it...

• Like 2

our dog didnt used to in the garden, but then our neighbor got a missus who had two rat dogs who never shut the hell up haha, dont get me wrong lovely couple but i want to see how high i can get them two things, its now a competition when mine and theirs are outside 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

My 3 dogs bark only on command emoji41.png

Sent from my SM-G930F

Police trained dogs by any chance?

My auntie had dogs that only barked on command.  

• Like 3

All 3 of the dogs I've had don't bark unless there is a reason. All were rescue dogs, so not sure what training they had before. 

Our old springer spaniel would only bark if there was "someone strange" in the garden, of if there was a cat. He would also bark once at the back door if he had escaped and was wanting back in. 
My mums old jack Russel and now her dog de bordeaux only bark at the door if someone chaps the letter box. Even then, it is normally just one or two barks until we tell them to shh and then they stop. 

Some dogs simply are not very vocal :-) 

• Like 3

Police trained dogs by any chance?
My auntie had dogs that only barked on command.  

Indeed [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

My mum's dog always barked at cats and the postman (well anyone at the front door), when he wanted to come in from outside, and would bark on command when you said "who's that?".

In his later years now, he barks when he wants to go out and back in, and when he hears strange noises. He is now totally blinded by cataracts brought on by diabetes so is getting quite slow and doddery :(

• Like 2

On 09/02/2017 at 9:06 PM, Micro said:

My mum's dog always barked at cats and the postman (well anyone at the front door), when he wanted to come in from outside, and would bark on command when you said "who's that?".

Brandy used to bark not just at our postman, but any postmen we encountered on her walks.:ohmy:  and when I dropped off the daily post at the sorting office, if any postmen happened to taking their break outside: Brandy would bark at them too:laugh: 

Come to think of it, It might have been the orange hi-vis clothes that annoyed her : Brandy used to bark at railway maintenance workers as well. 

• Like 1

My Mum had a GSD in the 80's, only ever barked once and made himself jump lol

Only ever seen photos, but he was a very handsome dog!! Incredibly well natured too apparently!

Went on to become Supreme Champion of Northern Ireland - the judges reckoned he would have done well at Crufts.

• Like 2

Bark, howl, squeal, squeak, moan, our dogs make all those sounds and more.

Sometimes the smallest thing might set one of them off and all of a sudden you've got a scene like out of a wolf documentary :taz:.

Our Doberman dislikes the horse in the neighbouring field, where as he doesn't give two hoots about her (just stands right up against the fence munching on the grass).

Quietest dog we've had was our male Rottweiler who once knocked me flat on my backside as I walked through the pitch black through our front gate up to the door. The outside motion lighting had yet to detect me, and hadn't picked up Benson moving silently towards me, until he jumped up to greet me :turned:.

• Like 3

Had a Lab who wouldnt bark for/at anything

Current West Highland Terrier barks at front door/doorbell, strange sounds and people. If she keeps yapping she gets told off

On 09/02/2017 at 2:03 AM, Stoney871 said:

My 3 dogs bark only on command emoji41.png

Sent from my SM-G930F

Jealous. What situations would you actually tell the dogs to bark??.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, volts said:

Had a Lab who wouldnt bark for/at anything

Current West Highland Terrier barks at front door/doorbell, strange sounds and people. If she keeps yapping she gets told off

Jealous. What situations would you actually tell the dogs to bark??.

The Malinois is public order trained so will bark to push back crowds or to defend me.

Springer barks when he locates something on a search.

Collie barks on command just because that's how I trained him.

• Like 1

Ringo seems to have taken to barking randomly on his late night walks recently. Not what you want at 2am...

• Like 3

Ringo seems to have taken to barking randomly on his late night walks recently. Not what you want at 2am...

Staking his territory against perceived intruders.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

probably wont wake anyone round your way, too drunk or off there head with drugs up there nose to notice lol

• Like 2

My Cockapoo Alfie can bark on command, I taught him at 12 weeks old when he went to a trainer. He can do plenty of tricks and loves to learn new ones.

On the subject of barking though he barks at the tv, a lot! It used to be just at Cleveland in Family Guy (we figured he is racist) but that stretched to dogs on the tv which turned into any animal and has peaked now at him barking at anything remotely animal-esque. The latest thing was a picture of a lion!

Does anyone have any tips on how to stop him? I've tried everything I can think of including buzz collars and positive reinforcement. I've not been able to watch super vet or any nature documentaries for years now. It's something he has picked up as he didn't used to do it and when the mother in law takes him to her house with her dogs he doesn't do it at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Still nothing on the barking front from Pipper.

There was a fox last night in my neighbours garden dismantling his bin bags, just as she went out to do her final pee of the day.  She sniffed the fence which fox was only about a metre away from: but didn't utter a solitary woof!

On 12/02/2017 at 9:11 PM, Jonro2009 said:

On the subject of barking though he barks at the tv, a lot! It used to be just at Cleveland in Family Guy (we figured he is racist) but that stretched to dogs on the tv which turned into any animal and has peaked now at him barking at anything remotely animal-esque. The latest thing was a picture of a lion!

My brother has this with his pugs! 

Except his pugs not only bark but attack the the TV.

He's had to replace a couple of his mate's TVs as well as his own. :ohmy:

TV watching has become an angst ridden exercise for him and SIL, keeping the remote in hand, just in case something animal-esque appears quite randomly, in say Channel 4 news, or an animal in the background of a film or unexpectedly in an ad

My collie whimpers when he sees animals on tv (even cartoon ones) then rushes to protect his food bowl in case they are after his biscuits.

Sent from my SM-G930F

2 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

My collie whimpers when he sees animals on tv (even cartoon ones) then rushes to protect his food bowl in case they are after his biscuits.

Sent from my SM-G930F

He's got his priorities right!!

• Like 2

He's got his priorities right!!

The little ingrate should be protecting his master not his Bonio's. 🤔

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 3

We have our tv on the wall mainly because I like it there but also to keep it out of Alfie's reach. We too have the remote close at hand of the same reasons, it's the dog on the Gtech adverts that Alfie seems to have a real disdain for. He has always been quite 'barky', he would chase the rabbits behind our house (wild, not pet [emoji87]) and be barking non stop while giving chase. He could often outrun them and catch up but always seemed to hold back when he got close, think he got scared of them lol. I thought him being part 'hunting' dog he would be quieter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club