Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dwindling Fuel Consumption since last service

ayrshiredude

Hi just wondering what your thoughts are on this.

So I have the Red Edition and use it to drive to work which is all Dual carriage way (average speed of 65MPH) and also day to day driving.  I would generally average around 53-55 MPG.  I sometimes drive to my friends in Cumbria which is about 150 Miles and do this on mostly A roads at between 50 and 60 MPH.  Previously doing this would average around 55-58 MPG.  I have also driven up to friends in Inverness which also got an average of closer to 55-58 MPG.  

I had my first service in November at my local Ford Dealership and since then I have noticed the fuel consumption seems to have dropped.  My commute to work has dropped to an average of 47 MPG and my recent run up to Inverness never got over 47 MPG despite driving like a granny and never getting over 60 MPH though closer to 50 a lot of the way.  I have just returned from a drive to my friend's in Cumbria and again never managed to get over 47 MPG, again seldom getting over 60 MPH.

I am finding myself driving very cautiously to try to get the MPG up to no avail and though 5 or 6 MPG doesn't seem a lot, its nearly the equivalent to a Gallon of Petrol over a tankful.

Any thoughts? 

2 minutes ago, ayrshiredude said:

Hi just wondering what your thoughts are on this.

So I have the Red Edition and use it to drive to work which is all Dual carriage way (average speed of 65MPH) and also day to day driving.  I would generally average around 53-55 MPG.  I sometimes drive to my friends in Cumbria which is about 150 Miles and do this on mostly A roads at between 50 and 60 MPH.  Previously doing this would average around 55-58 MPG.  I have also driven up to friends in Inverness which also got an average of closer to 55-58 MPG.  

I had my first service in November at my local Ford Dealership and since then I have noticed the fuel consumption seems to have dropped.  My commute to work has dropped to an average of 47 MPG and my recent run up to Inverness never got over 47 MPG despite driving like a granny and never getting over 60 MPH though closer to 50 a lot of the way.  I have just returned from a drive to my friend's in Cumbria and again never managed to get over 47 MPG, again seldom getting over 60 MPH.

I am finding myself driving very cautiously to try to get the MPG up to no avail and though 5 or 6 MPG doesn't seem a lot, its nearly the equivalent to a Gallon of Petrol over a tankful.

Any thoughts? 

You use more fuel during the winter months, even mine has dropped from 38mpg to 34mpg.

11 minutes ago, Russ said:

You use more fuel during the winter months, even mine has dropped from 38mpg to 34mpg.

Oh ok didn't realise that, though have had the car for over a year and didn't notice this till November when I had the service.

My mileage always goes down a bit the colder it is.

• Like 1

Mine has dropped from 48 to 44 over the winter. Warming up in cold temos uses more fuel plus using heated seats and screen will also add to consumption. Never manged more than 48 though i do tend to rag it a bit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GaryPL said:

Did they do an ECU update?

No idea

Might be worth checking. Sometimes these can affect fuel economy, but actually makes a positive difference with emissions. But as has been said, this could just be co-incidental with the winter temperature.

changing oil and filter wont make any difference to fuel consumption. i doubt very much that a software update was done on service. so as others say, its more likely the winter months making a difference. mine drops aroud 5mpg during the cold dark winter months also.

6 hours ago, Russ said:

34 is better than me but I don't hang around, and yours is a 1.6

Most of the folk I follow should park-up and stay at home. They don't wanna go anywhere anytime soon.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club