Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Conditioning

IanH

Hi

I have a 2003 1.4 Zetec with no A/C.

Has anyone ever self fitted an A/C system?

Looking for any advice.

Ian

NO

I think Jonny is having a bad hair day. :ph34r:

so far the day is good :) But if I was having a bad hair day I would rather have that than a baldy

Hi

I have a 2003 1.4 Zetec with no A/C.

Has anyone ever self fitted an A/C system?

YES.

I've helped retrofit AC to a couple of Volvos and a Rover 214. It's actually very straightforward to do (easy, even) but it is a bit of work.

Basically, you gotta get the whole AC system from a scrapper (new pipes are recommended, it's very hard to remove them undamaged!!) then you have to mount the compressor to the engine which is a doddle (except the tensioner was tricky on the Rover). The accumulator and radiator just bolt in under the bonnet, the mount holes are already there in most cases.

Next up you have to remove 90% of the dash on the car and mount the AC airbox; after which you sort out the plumbing. Get the system refilled by a professional and check for leaks (I had one on the first Volvo I did, but the installer used flourescent dye which shows up very clearly... One new 'o' ring later and it's sorted).

AND THEN... You have to check the wiring is in place to raise the idle speed when the AC is switched on. For the first Volvo this needed a solenoid installed on the Carb, but the other two (fuel injected) already had the wire on the loom to raise the speed, so they were pretty much plug and play.

Last I heard the Rover is still working perfectly (three years on) and the second Volvo needed a re-charge after a year but is still going strong.

So yeah, it's a lot of somewhat fiddly work, but nothing about it is rocket science.

Here's some links (none of which pertain directly to the Fiesta, but should give you an idea):

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/simon.stirley/fitac.html

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=24983

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=325021

And there's also some intelligent discussion (unlike the thread on the subject here) on MPG affects of Air-Con:

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=322578

Have a read and figure out if it's best to retro-fit or maybe sell up and buy one with it fitted from the factory. Best of luck matey!

Chris...

YES.

I've helped retrofit AC to a couple of Volvos and a Rover 214. It's actually very straightforward to do (easy, even) but it is a bit of work.

Basically, you gotta get the whole AC system from a scrapper (new pipes are recommended, it's very hard to remove them undamaged!!) then you have to mount the compressor to the engine which is a doddle (except the tensioner was tricky on the Rover). The accumulator and radiator just bolt in under the bonnet, the mount holes are already there in most cases.

Next up you have to remove 90% of the dash on the car and mount the AC airbox; after which you sort out the plumbing. Get the system refilled by a professional and check for leaks (I had one on the first Volvo I did, but the installer used flourescent dye which shows up very clearly... One new 'o' ring later and it's sorted).

AND THEN... You have to check the wiring is in place to raise the idle speed when the AC is switched on. For the first Volvo this needed a solenoid installed on the Carb, but the other two (fuel injected) already had the wire on the loom to raise the speed, so they were pretty much plug and play.

Last I heard the Rover is still working perfectly (three years on) and the second Volvo needed a re-charge after a year but is still going strong.

So yeah, it's a lot of somewhat fiddly work, but nothing about it is rocket science.

Here's some links (none of which pertain directly to the Fiesta, but should give you an idea):

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/simon.stirley/fitac.html

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=24983

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=325021

And there's also some intelligent discussion (unlike the thread on the subject here) on MPG affects of Air-Con:

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=322578

Have a read and figure out if it's best to retro-fit or maybe sell up and buy one with it fitted from the factory. Best of luck matey!

Chris...

Thats such a good answer that I think I might have creamed my pants

so far the day is good :) But if I was having a bad hair day I would rather have that than a baldy

Baldy is where it's at, low maintenance. ;) I bet your always getting your conditioner and moisturiser mixed up. :P

That's it, isn't it, that's why you're in a bad mood, you have run out of gel and can't create that Tin Tin quiff on your head and you'll have to go to college looking the odd one out. :lol:

Baldy is where it's at, low maintenance. ;) I bet your always getting your conditioner and moisturiser mixed up. :P

That's it, isn't it, that's why you're in a bad mood, you have run out of gel and can't create that Tin Tin quiff on your head and you'll have to go to college looking the odd one out. :lol:

Far too old for college! and I dont own any conditioner, moisturiser or gel. Usually just leave the hair how it is when i wake up unless it looks too messy, in which case i just rinse it then dry it to flatten it down

Baldys dont have it easy! Think of all that suncream they have to rub in everyday! just to stop their scalp from flakeing away

Far too old for college! and I dont own any conditioner, moisturiser or gel. Usually just leave the hair how it is when i wake up unless it looks too messy, in which case i just rinse it then dry it to flatten it down

Baldys dont have it easy! Think of all that suncream they have to rub in everyday! just to stop their scalp from flakeing away

I live in England,never been a problem. :P

Thats such a good answer that I think I might have creamed my pants

ROFL LMAO!!

My fave members posts are all from Jonny boy at the mo!! you crackin me up! LOL! :lol:

Absolutely nothing wrong with being a Baldie B Jonny.

The only downside is it !Removed! hurts your head when it hails!!! :D

Hair is SOOOOOOOOOOO overrated methinks!

Slapheads Unite!!!

Btw....Ocean Blue is STILL by far the best colour ;)

Absolutely nothing wrong with being a Baldie B Jonny.

The only downside is it !Removed! hurts your head when it hails!!! :D

Hair is SOOOOOOOOOOO overrated methinks!

Slapheads Unite!!!

Btw....Ocean Blue is STILL by far the best colour ;)

hoorah, let's kick the quiff boys into touch. Baldies! Baldies! Baldies!. :lol:

hoorah, let's kick the quiff boys into touch. Baldies! Baldies! Baldies!. :lol:

I agree Keith! Maximum respect to the Baldies, and to the entire worldwide baldie crew.

and also to Keith, who it would appear is also a baldie :)

I agree Keith! Maximum respect to the Baldies, and to the entire worldwide baldie crew.

and also to Keith, who it would appear is also a baldie :)

I'm what you could call, a voluntary baldie, dubbers bare blade all over, off with it I say!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm what you could call, a voluntary baldie, dubbers bare blade all over, off with it I say!!!!!!!!!!!

But surely it must be a right old pain having to shave your scalp everyday?

But surely it must be a right old pain having to shave your scalp everyday?

Dubbers =

wahl-bald-fader-tondeuse.jpg

Once a month is all it needs. Jobs a good 'un.

Dubbers =

wahl-bald-fader-tondeuse.jpg

Once a month is all it needs. Jobs a good 'un.

Keith, your pic has gone wrong, do you have a link?

Keith, your pic has gone wrong, do you have a link?

I can see it, even in your quote. Dubbers are hair trimmers that barbers use.

oh yeah i see it now for some reason, still not there in my quote though strangely...

Wahl Baldfader eh.. you really only need to use that once a month? surely there must be hair growing back by then?

oh yeah i see it now for some reason, still not there in my quote though strangely...

Wahl Baldfader eh.. you really only need to use that once a month? surely there must be hair growing back by then?

Of course, just like when you have a shave. But I don't mind a quarter inch of growth, it's still no maintenance, something I hated when I let it grow as mine is very thick, or was.

Of course, just like when you have a shave. But I don't mind a quarter inch of growth, it's still no maintenance, something I hated when I let it grow as mine is very thick, or was.

This really is excellent news. What was it that first made you decide "I want to be a baldie"?

This really is excellent news. What was it that first made you decide "I want to be a baldie"?

NO MAINTENANCE.

i've never been vain, so what it looked like was never a consideration.

NO MAINTENANCE.

i've never been vain, so what it looked like was never a consideration.

I agree. No maintenance is definitely a good thing. At first though did you ever get everyone asking you "why have you gone bald Keith?" "What the deal with the hair Keith?" etc etc?