Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Edge pre collision assist

Sonya jane

My 3 month old Ford Edge pre collision assist keeps going of and has now started applying the brake on two separate occasions for no reason, ford are currently changing the radar unit and I should get the vehicle back tomorrow ! Has any one else had any similar problems with their edge ? 

Turned mine off first day I had it and stuck black tape over the annoying red Leds that ruin your vision at night.Collision assist is one of the most stupid things on modern cars to get them through EU NCAP ratings. EU dumbing down driving abilities it beggars belief!

Really dont agree they are stupid if they save someone driving into another car or pedestrian. Cant comment on the LED's though.

In the event of a collision you may find your insurance void if you have disabled a factory safety feature. Saying that, I do agree with you that all these new 'driver aids' are turning all people in the car into passengers now.

Over on the Skoda forum there has been a lot of talk about the FC system being activated by crisp packets blowing in front of the cars and also high viz vests. Something to do with the reflective nature of the two things

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I just set mine to low sensitivity and all the nuisance warnings seem to have stopped.  

I agree that it is annoying BUT...it did prevent us from having a near miss in Central Paris last year...(never again!!!) 

• 2 months later...

I don't think I would disable it, although I do find it slightly annoying in two areas.  1 - When you are driving at 30 in a built up area and a car a short distance in front decides to turn left, but you can clearly see without electronic aids that the car will be clear of your intended path, so don't need to adjust your speed or take any avoiding action, the pre-collision assist disagrees and flashes its LEDs and beeps away, for no reason at all that I can see.  2 - In the housing estate I live in, the exit road is curved and cars park on the left side of the road.  The pre-collision assist clearly thinks I'm going to crash into the parked cars, when I'm turning to match the curve of the parked cars.  It needs to be a bit smarter, but then it was designed for the American market I suppose.

• 2 years later...

Reviving an old topic :wacko: BUT can anyone tell me what the row of red LEDs in front of the driver near the windscreen are actually for?

I'm guessing pre-collision assist but seems like overkill (no pun intended) do they do anything else like heads up info etc?

Thanks - just trying to get my head around the tech stuff on my car :rolleyes:

You’re right they are for pre-collision assist. Try not reacting to a car slowing in front of you and you’ll see and hear what happens. Don’t crash though ! 😜

• Haha 1

Just get close to the car in front and you'll get half of them lit (or if your closer than the adaptive cruise control is set for). As @Edge of Reason says, if the car thinks your not braking quick enough and a collision may occur it flashes the LEDs in you line of vision and flashes a red warning on your cluster. If you set pre-collision assist to brake for you, it gets more "interesting". Especially when it gets a false trigger from cars parked on right hand bends that it thinks your going to drive into!!! 

• Confused 1

Thanks for the "heads up" - have now experienced the warning flash as described - quite an event

Does the red light bar do anything else?

No it just irritates you when it goes off when you least expect it. 😀 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Westville said:

Does the red light bar do anything else?

See my previous post! Its only for pre-collision alerts and a 'too close' warning if you have the radar equipped for adaptive cruise control.

• Like 1

Right one less mystery to explore - now what shall I play with next? :wacko:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club