Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boot lid struts - possibly needing replaced?

Arwen

Ok this might be a silly question, but I'm not sure what is "normal" behavior for the boot lid on a 2012 Focus.

Just now, I need to physically lift the boot lid up to nearly fully open and the struts will then take the weight of the boot. If I stop lifting the lid at any point, the struts will also stop there, meaning the lid stays where it is, rather than continuing up to open. It also feels very much like they are not helping open the lid at all, feels like I am putting in all the efforts of lifting that heavy boot lid! 

So my question - Am I asking too much of the struts to open the boot lid with little effort on my part? With my old Clio, I'd release the boot lid and pull the lid free a little bit, and the struts would pretty much do the rest of opening the boot lid. 

sounds like they are failing. can see a fluid leak where the inner rod slides into the outer housing. might only be one side that is on it's way out.

The boot lid on my Focus is just the same also my neighbours Focus Titanium just two years old is exactly the same.

Mine is also the same.

How cold the weather is also seems to have an effect. On frosty mornings it's particularly bad.

When the struts are cold the gas inside compresses more so gives less assist.
Same thing happens with door closers in buildings too.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Glad I searched, i have just got my 2014 Focus and was about to ask the same question... the boot lid is a big bit of kit but i would expect a little more assistance.

There's lots for sale on flea bay, this one is typical.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-FOR-FORD-FOCUS-MK2-HATCHBACK-2004-2010-GAS-TAILGATE-BOOT-SUPPORT-STRUTS/171177727511?fits=Model%3AFocus&hash=item27dafcd617:m:mmNNssFBw_Ksa9vgaOGsehg

I went to my local car parts shop, bought a pair and fitted them in 5 mins.

ScaniaPBman.

Mines was kind of an effort too so I rubbed some vaseline all over the arm that goes in and out and made a massive difference.

I was surprised at the price of replacements - thought they would be a lot more.  Mine are same as described above and will change them before I need to prop up the lid to keep it open (which I have had to do on old cars before).

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 6:58 AM, south_bound said:

I was surprised at the price of replacements - thought they would be a lot more.  Mine are same as described above and will change them before I need to prop up the lid to keep it open (which I have had to do on old cars before).

The Struts on my Mk1 1.4 Focus , were slowly weakening . A new pair , new of e-bay £11. Fitted in 10 mins .  ( RTG Aotomotive , Free Post )

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club