Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Knocking from O.S.F

lucas1787

Hi everyone, I have had this knocking from the N.S.F (not O.S.F as post reads) while going over bumps/pot holes etc. Its not bad, but I thought I would attempt to have a look at the weekend.I took the wheel off, got under the car, but cant see anything thats loose or would cause it.I know its a hard thing to diagnoise, but has anyone got any ideas?. It has to be suspension related, but I have shook, pulled everything, but cant seem to locate it.Any help would be great. Thanks :(

I have a Focus 1.6 Zetec Treg

Hi everyone, I have had this knocking from the N.S.F (not O.S.F as post reads) while going over bumps/pot holes etc. Its not bad, but I thought I would attempt to have a look at the weekend.I took the wheel off, got under the car, but cant see anything thats loose or would cause it.I know its a hard thing to diagnoise, but has anyone got any ideas?. It has to be suspension related, but I have shook, pulled everything, but cant seem to locate it.Any help would be great. Thanks :(

I have a Focus 1.6 Zetec Treg

As you say it could be almost anything, but I had a similar fault on my Focus which was the ball joint on the anti roll bar link arm.

With the car over a pit & someone bouncing the car it was quite easy to find. [iknow we don't all have access to a pit]

Prices for a replacement varied from over £100 for a pair to less than £15 for one so it pays to shop around [i got mine off eBay]

As above, I would be inclined to believe that it would be the ball joint/bushes perhaps.

Thanks for the replys, I think its a trip to the garge, as I dont have ramp to get it up on. Theres only so much you can do with a trolley jack and a axle stand!!.

Should easily be able to do it yourself.

Dead simple.

Likely to be the anti roll link bar, links the anti roll bar to the suspension arm or strut.

Don.t jack it up, get ya arm under, and try and move the anitroll bar up and down.

DO same with car jacked up a little to take load off, feel for play, it will be TINY, litteraly 1mm will make a horrid sound.

If they both solid, get a pry bar and try and lift the antiroll bar up from its fixings on the chasis, if it does then its the inner bushes that need doing.

Link bars should be no more than 15quid in trade plus VAT and a pair of inner bushes shouldnt cost you more than a tenner. Expect to pay 10-20% on top for places like Motor Factors (best bet) or 50-100% on top for Ford/Halfrauds. You will get same quality from Motor Factors too.

easy job too....just post if any probs n me help ya :)

Should easily be able to do it yourself.

Dead simple.

Likely to be the anti roll link bar, links the anti roll bar to the suspension arm or strut.

Don.t jack it up, get ya arm under, and try and move the anitroll bar up and down.

DO same with car jacked up a little to take load off, feel for play, it will be TINY, litteraly 1mm will make a horrid sound.

If they both solid, get a pry bar and try and lift the antiroll bar up from its fixings on the chasis, if it does then its the inner bushes that need doing.

Link bars should be no more than 15quid in trade plus VAT and a pair of inner bushes shouldnt cost you more than a tenner. Expect to pay 10-20% on top for places like Motor Factors (best bet) or 50-100% on top for Ford/Halfrauds. You will get same quality from Motor Factors too.

easy job too....just post if any probs n me help ya :)

Hi, Thanks for that, just a couple of things.Is the Anit-roll bar under any tension,if I do change the link rods or the bushs?

narp, not once the car is jacked up, they just kinda hang there!!

Just had a look on eBay for the link rods and I can get a pair for £14 delivered.They are also listing alloy or metal types. Does it matter what type I get?

Just had a look on Ebay for the link rods and I can get a pair for £14 delivered.They are also listing alloy or metal types. Does it matter what type I get?

same thing!

• 3 weeks later...
same thing!

Managed to get this job done over the weekend and it was the drop link on the N.S.Took me 1/2hr to replace and all sorted. Thank you Instructorpiggy for your help. :rolleyes: