Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2015 MK3.5 Facelift on 2013 MK3 - Headlight Help

ronseal

Hi All

I know a few people have done this and i did find a previous topic but no answers to this question

I have a 2013 Focus Zetec S as a second car.....and an unlucky mate who killed his 2015 ST with a bit of sideways action and a poorly placed tree....so i found myself with a lot of 2015 ST parts for very cheap so have decided to do the face-lift conversion on the Zetec S.

I've so far completed nearly everything with the exception of a few niggley but easy resolved fitting issues its been smooth sailing but I've now come up against a problem which is the headlights don't seem to work, I downgraded from the 2015 xenons to the standard 2015 edge lights without the DLR's as i was hoping with the same as what was on mine these would be a strait swap but alas i was wrong ..

anyone know if these need to be re-programmed or re-wired as they all plug in ok but wont turn on and display a dipped beam error, which makes me think ford decided to reconfigure the plugs..

is it as simple as popping out the internals of the plugs and swapping them about (i.e. different configuration - if so what is it ??) or is there something i'm missing 

any guidance would be greatly appreciated

cheers 

There is a control module in the light, which talks to another module in the car. They are probably not compatible with each other.

• Like 1

Sorry to go off topic, but are you replacing the rear valance ?

• Like 1

yep, rear valance & bumper was replaced with ST one...

also anyone know where the module is in the lights, i have seen several 2012 / 2013 focuses with the later front end retro fitted so i know it can be done, just don't know how 

• Like 1

Get some pics up documenting the progress bud.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

It is better to go to your local ford dealer and ask them if they can provide a picture where is the light module located. You will definitely need the facelift modules.

If you won't be successful i will buy those lights from you :D

Bit Stuck on this light module inside the light idea..

happened to have an old 2013 and 2015 smashed light outside in the skip (as i'm doing a clear out) from previous projects so thought i would do a little investigating.

after striping the looms out of each unit they seem to be pretty much the same the only thing they plug into (other than Bulbs) is the headlight aim adjuster motor and i cant see that that would be coded to the vehicle (may be wrong) 

the only difference between the two looms is the MK3.5 has another connector so looking from top to bottom left to right we have 

MK3 = 1: aim adjuster / pin 2: aim adjuster / pin 3: low beam / pin 4: low beam to indicator & Main beam to sidelight / pin 5: aim adjuster / pin 6: indicator / pin 7: main beam / pin 8: sidelight 

MK3.5 = pin 1: aim adjuster / pin 2: aim adjuster / pin 3: low beam / pin 4: low beam & indicator  / pin 5: sidelight & Main beam  / pin 6: aim adjuster / pin 7: indicator / pin 7: indicator / pin 8: main beam / pin 9: sidelight 

I may be wrong but the only difference i can see is that they changed the plug configuration to add an additional pin, so instead of pin 4 doing two jobs on the MK3 light (linking from Bulb to Bulb) it has its own pin so if i take the plug out from the car end and add pin 5 to the loom this would in essence reconfigure as per the MK3.5

i may see if i can get hold of a plug with some wire from the car end of a MK3.5 and make a mini loom connector (to go between the two plugs) in case it doesn't work if anyone knows where i can get a cheap one from 2015/2016 focus..

I am just thinking out load here, any suggestions welcome

DSC_0037.thumb.JPG.0fc502aef3532763f14e5f41f92a0309.JPG

DSC_0038.thumb.JPG.33986f94b291f2cd087aecc4869df410.JPG

•  

DSC_0034.JPG

DSC_0036.JPG

DSC_0041.JPG

• Like 1

yep, rear valance & bumper was replaced with ST one...
also anyone know where the module is in the lights, i have seen several 2012 / 2013 focuses with the later front end retro fitted so i know it can be done, just don't know how 

Where is your old valance? Is it this what you had on?eb9226ffde0f4256078c5907b15c280a.jpg
Can I buy it? Shipping will be expensive for me, but I have limited options.

Hi FourD - the one i had already sold - if i get another one in ill let you know 

• Like 1

Hi FourD - the one i had already sold - if i get another one in ill let you know 

Thanks. Will appreciate it greatly!

On 2/19/2017 at 5:33 PM, DJ_Andy_M said:

There is a control module in the light, which talks to another module in the car. They are probably not compatible with each other.

Rewiring pins will not solve the above, if anything will cause more problems.

Just a quick update, purchased a set of 2015 plugs of eBay which arrived this morning - made 2 mini loom connectors and 40 mins later all wired up and working 100% with no error messages and everything working as it should..no modules or coding required..

if anyone else wants to give it a go i've done a quick guide in the how to section

DSC_0049.JPGDSC_0052.JPG

• Like 1

That's awesome news! Perhaps the halogen lights aren't as technical as the Xenon ones! I had a look in mine when I changed the bulbs, there's circuit boards and god know what else going on for things like adaptive lighting!

I know, i was a bit surprised myself as wasn't sure if it would work....sometimes pays to just give it a go...

I deliberately avoided the xenon headlights as i think i would have come up with issues using them.

A full list of parts needed would be awesome dude. Like did you need to change the front wings too ?

Hi KPG

it all pretty easy to be honest, wings are the same front panel is slightly different but there's no need to change it just a little jiggling around to get it on tight,

you need the following:

• Bonnet
  • bumper
  • headlights - (plus the loom fix as mentioned above)
  • lower splash guard cover - (you can modify the one you have but if you want it to last i would recommend a genuine ST one as the bumpers differ to the standard 2015 splash guard) 
  • depends how authentic you want it... you should really change the two front air ducts (again you can use your current ones - just need a little cutting to fit but on close inspection you'll be able to see them behind the grill - not sure on ST to ST as they may be the same)

i also replaced

• rear bumper
  • rear lights
  • ST interior
  • ST headlining and pillar trims
  • 2015 head unit and screen
  • 2015 centre console and arm rest and hand brake (this was a bit of a mission as it required modding to get the AC panel in the hole the 2015 panel goes in as its a different shape - i just made a solid plate out of black perspex and cut to size for the old panel to fit then fitted into the hole for the 2015 unit as luckily its bigger)
  • 2015 steering wheel & Airbag - you can use the 2013 ST stuff which saves on changing all the arm rest / head unit / handbrake / airbag etc 
  • exhaust
  • ST illuminated door seals
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi Ronseal,

I am about to do the conversion for my ford focus 1.6 ecoboost from MK3 to the MK3.5.

Would you be able to help me with the headlight wire conversion? What did u do? Any help will be appreciated.

Any pics available?

Regards

Rod

• 1 year later...

I have the same issue my facelift my 3.5 has normal bulbs but since they were smashed I got a replacment pair that have projectors and turn lights, currently my main beam is cornering lights that just light the curb both sides how can I get main beam to work I believe the head light is a bi xenon so should be both in the projector lends?? My car is 2016 diner car is 2018 and the lights have ballets on the light units 35W hid what wires do I swap? My standard plugs are full only 3 pins missing, 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club