Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fluid leak? Black grit

Ford_lover38

Hey Guys,

Hope you are all well. Got a quick question, after recently having a full service I've notice this black grit - kind of like black sand (its not wet its kind of dry) under the power steering pipe.

ive been watching the power steering fluid (it has not dropped still on max), coolant level not dropped nor has the oil level. Also I see no blue smoke or smell any burning smell. Do you think it could be a leak of some sort or is it just some old residue? 

I will take a picture later and attach to this post. After I take a pic I will clean the area and see if it gets dirty again, will be a good indication of if there is infact a leak or not.

Any help will be cool :). 

if it's not wet I can't really see how it can be anything leaking

1 hour ago, isetta said:

if it's not wet I can't really see how it can be anything leaking

My description is abit crap sorry, I wouldnt say its completely dry its abit wet just not as smooth or as slippery as oil would normally be.

I'll post a picture up on here after work which should make it abit easier to know what I mean lol

4 hours ago, Ford_lover38 said:

My description is abit crap sorry, I wouldnt say its completely dry its abit wet just not as smooth or as slippery as oil would normally be.

I'll post a picture up on here after work which should make it abit easier to know what I mean lol

Chances are it has dripped/leaked at one point, and somewhat dried/evaporated - and the gritty stuff is just normal dust/dirt particles that have mixed in with it as air flows around your engine bay.

However, your power steering leak is probably intermittent and/or extremely minor. Probably drips under extreme conditions - e.g. performing a full lock whilst stationary.

My car (same model/year) as yours also had a similar wet patch in the same area - on a previous MOT it got an advisory "Power steering pipe(s) or hose(s) has slight seepage from a joint (2.3.3b)".

The Mk2.5 Focus has a known issue with the pipe leading from the high pressure pump developing a minor leak - it is alleged that the new hose and seal kit from Ford has fixed this design flaw. I had mine fitted for 335 (parts, labour, VAT inclusive).

• Like 2

Thanks for your reply. Iv taken some pics have a look below, see if its similar.

IMG_8442.PNG

IMG_8443.PNG

IMG_8444.PNG

If I am seeing this correctly your "leak" appears to be right next to the timing belt pulley, and not near where the PAS pump union is, if I remember my engine bay correctly?

So PAS leak might not actually be the problem here...

Hopefully someone else will come along and provide some further insight...

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on this:

So after having the car looked at they cant find any leaks which would explain why that area has that damp material on it. Abit strange its damp though, been watching the fluid levels like a hawk and not a single one has dropped.

They didnt charge to investigate which is decent of them but advised me as soon as I see any of the fluid levels start dropping then to go back. I'm going to get the cambelt, aux belt and water pump replaced soon anyway which they said would give them a better chance to get up close and personal with the components to see if there are any splits/intermittent leaks around the area but for now looks ok. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club