Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus st-2 tdci

ajzetecs

I am looking on getting a focus mk3.5 st-2 2.0 tdci,time for a change. I have seen a nice one for £14,989, 30k miles, 2015. Any good advice, pros and cons, thought any advice via forum would be more accurate.

also quite tempted by the petrol as well. I do around 35 mile a day on motor way, currently use around £25 a week in diesel. One thing sways me to diesel in the mpg with 185bhp.

2 hours ago, ajzetecs said:

I am looking on getting a focus mk3.5 st-2 2.0 tdci,time for a change. I have seen a nice one for £14,989, 30k miles, 2015. Any good advice, pros and cons, thought any advice via forum would be more accurate.

also quite tempted by the petrol as well. I do around 35 mile a day on motor way, currently use around £25 a week in diesel. One thing sways me to diesel in the mpg with 185bhp.

Drove the diesel for a week and been a passenger in the petrol.  IMHO:

Diesel

• Plenty fast enough to 'make progress' and execute brisk overtakes
  • Doesn't seem to handle much different to the petrol
  • When driven sensibly can deliver 50 MPG

Petrol

• Faster than the diesel but a LOT more thirsty, especially when driven how it 'should' be
  • FUN!!!
  • Will run through front tyres even quicker than the diesel if it's driven how it should be

The diesel has a DPF so to avoid problems with it clogging up you need to be doing at least one decent run a week, if not or you generally just do short runs, get the petrol and enjoy the speed! :yahoo:

sorry for late reply, cheers for your advice. Based on my everyday driving think diesel is better option with the better fuel economy. Would love to go back to petrol for that sound. Correct me if i'm wrong but the tdci st has the fake sound through the cabin, can remember correct name for it. 

Sound Symposer is the name, very subtle in the background sound and if you don't like it there are delete kits widely available.

The torque allows for lazy ( from the engine ) but brisk progress.

Don't drive it on the green arrows that suggests a gear change though it will certainly store up problems & probably force regeneration.

I use 4,000 rpm, sometimes more, on a regular basis paying attention to road speed. It is surprising how it builds up once out of 1st & 2nd gear.

You probably will not notice any difference in front end handling between diesel or petrol unless on a track when the diesel will want to push on ahead a little when you turn in quickly.

The euro6 diesel is lighter than its predecessor so that helps.

Fuel consumption is pretty good, I average 48/49 mpg this weather, warmer weather about 49/51 mpg with 53 being the highest so far on a 400 mile run to Exeter & back at the motorway speed limits.

Mine had 19" wheels on and in 9,000 miles the fronts were down to 3mm, rears to 6mm.

Since changed to 18" purely because the ride was too harsh for me on 19's

The ST looks good too. 

S-T 2 side 1.jpg

8 hours ago, Grumps68 said:

Sound Symposer is the name, very subtle in the background sound and if you don't like it there are delete kits widely available.

The torque allows for lazy ( from the engine ) but brisk progress.

Don't drive it on the green arrows that suggests a gear change though it will certainly store up problems & probably force regeneration.

I use 4,000 rpm, sometimes more, on a regular basis paying attention to road speed. It is surprising how it builds up once out of 1st & 2nd gear.

You probably will not notice any difference in front end handling between diesel or petrol unless on a track when the diesel will want to push on ahead a little when you turn in quickly.

The euro6 diesel is lighter than its predecessor so that helps.

Fuel consumption is pretty good, I average 48/49 mpg this weather, warmer weather about 49/51 mpg with 53 being the highest so far on a 400 mile run to Exeter & back at the motorway speed limits.

Mine had 19" wheels on and in 9,000 miles the fronts were down to 3mm, rears to 6mm.

Since changed to 18" purely because the ride was too harsh for me on 19's

The ST looks good too. 

S-T 2 side 1.jpg

So much for 67-74 mpg as stated on most websites.

was going to go for 19" but looking at yours can see tyres profile is quite low but to be honest my mk2 ride a hard as hell with lowering springs so this may be a luxury.

The 67-74 figure is the EU laboratory test, cars never see the light of day on these test or a piece of tarmac.

Rumour has it these tests are to be modified soon to reflect real world driving more accurately.

You will be able to improve on my figures, but you don't buy an ST to drive around at 1700rpm on a light throttle now do you.  

Whilst you are looking around for an ST try and have a drive in one with 19" and then compare with one on 18".

You may find 19's acceptable if the suspension on your present car is set up particularly stiffly.

Personally a think a could cope with 19" based on my current experiences. Dont think i will lower another car, need a bit comfort.

I am only getting 40mpg on my 1.8 tdci but as you say best enjoy the poke.

Is that the red one in Leeds?

Make sure it has service history at Ford, engine oil type is critical for this euro6 unit, although it's Castrol I haven't seen it available any where else at the moment .

At 30,000 miles it's probably on it's 3rd set of front tyres & 2nd rears. Check that they are premium tyres and all 4 match, you wouldn't believe how many you see 

with cheap 'ditch finders' fitted. Don't risk your neck on cheapies - walk away.

Then the usual checks for knocks, scrapes & noises - look every where.

Good luck with your search, when you finally get one you won't be disappointed - I wasn't.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club