Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk 7 MPG

Chris Ecc

Mk 7 MPG  

476 members have voted

1. 1. What MPG are you getting out of your Mk 7?

• Petrol: 20-30 Mpg
    • Petrol: 30-40 Mpg
    • Petrol: 40-50 Mpg
    • Diesel: 20-30 Mpg
    • Diesel: 30-40 Mpg
    • Diesel: 40-50 Mpg
    • Diesel: 50-60 Mpg
    • Diesel: 60-70 Mpg
    • Petrol: 50 Mpg + (Really...)
    • Diesel: 70 Mpg + (Really...)

Wonder what mpg he got on that circuit? They probably measure it in yards per gallon :o

Think it goes negative at the points when the wheels are turning forwards but the car is going backwards :rolleyes:

The best I could get out of my titanium X 1.6 petrol was a steady 39 mpg on the 12 mile commute to work but I could get 43ish on longer runs.

Now the best I get out of my beast is 28ish commuting and 32ish on a run; still, I didn't buy it for economy but you got to wonder how much more we're going to have to pay for fuel...... :rolleyes:

I feel quiet vindicated.

When I posted a thread complaining about lousy MPG from a 1.4 petrol auto, it would appear from replies that my 37MPG average (6,300 miles) was a "bad" engine and that everyone else was getting between 50 and 70 MPG.

Now I see from the poll that mine is normal and the others are "virtual"? :lol:

I am sure that some diesels are getting excellent returns but the petrol engines depend very much on size, gearbox and conditions. Downhill, with the wind behind you and all surplus weight (wife) removed from said car may return 60-70 MPG but that would be the exception.

It would be interesting to expand the poll into the various options.

i'd be amazed to see anyone get 60-70mpg from a petrol engine unless they are on two wheels.

Quiet a few FMs have claimed over 60MPG from their petrol engines.

As I said, downhill with the wind behind you, perhaps.

The best I ever made according to the "computer" was 51 MPG on a very flat Spanish motorway, no wind and an empty car doing around 55MPH.

your problem isn't your crap mpg, i don't doubt the mpg you claim, your problem is you supposed comparison to other similar cars.

your problem isn't your crap mpg, i don't doubt the mpg you claim, your problem is you supposed comparison to other similar cars.

Can you qualify this post, I do not see how it reflects on the MPG of the Fiesta?

In this thread, other cars are not even in consideration, just the MPG of the Fiesta.

Can you qualify this post, I do not see how it reflects on the MPG of the Fiesta?

In this thread, other cars are not even in consideration, just the MPG of the Fiesta.

The post was in relation to your other posts which seem to mostly be about mpg, the mpg most people on here are getting is pretty normal. There will be some people higher and some lower(like me) but overall there is nothing unusual about the mpg of the fiesta so i have no idea why we have so many posts about it.

I'm coming up on finishing a full tank in the next day or two. Got 290 miles on the dash so far, with the MTE giving me about 120, so I should be on for my first 400 mile + tank so far (possibly the warmer weather) :lol: . Previously all my attempts have come short (390 miles) with about 5 miles to empty on the readout, which I didn't want to risk, though I might have been able to squeeze it.

That's an average of just over 46 MPG (I've managed better so I'm not sure how this tank is supposedly on for more miles). I'll drop an image or two in here, for those disbelievers B) The journeys have been over varied runs, but most are trips too and from work which are about 16 miles each way, mixed motorway and A roads.

1.25 Zetec Petrol. Just under 3000 miles on the clock and the average over that period is 43.5 and it is still rising.

Just had to fill up this evening after using up the last of my tank! I've managed 403.1 miles with 14 still left to go off of a single full tank, not done the math but the computer says 46.7mpg!

A little vid to show my results:

th_VIDEO0022.jpg?videoplayer=offsite?videoplayer=offsite?videoplayer=offsite?videoplayer=offsite

Only cost me 55 quid to fill back to full again.. <_<

Quote from Quentin Wilson in this week's Sunday Mirror:

"The diesel ­argument is also getting thin, as it is around 6p more than unleaded and there are plenty of small petrol cars that can get more than 60mpg. Unless you’re doing monster miles every year, buy a motor that runs on ­unleaded."

Seems I may have made the wrong choice after all...currently on 53mpg.

<_<

The post was in relation to your other posts which seem to mostly be about mpg, the mpg most people on here are getting is pretty normal. There will be some people higher and some lower(like me) but overall there is nothing unusual about the mpg of the fiesta so i have no idea why we have so many posts about it.

I agree.

The problem is, some people see the official figures in the brochures/advertisements and think that their car should be returning the same mpg and when it doesn't they get in a strop. It only takes a minute on Google to find out how the tests are carried out and why they are carried out like that and therefore why they'll struggle to match the figures.

Depends :)

Economic driving 40-42

Standard driving 32-35

Racing driving 25-28

Depends :)

Economic driving 40-42

Standard driving 32-35

Racing driving 25-28

Most sensible figures I have seen posted. I would concur with your findings. (although I have never raced the car)

On reading the other Ford forums and sites, it would appear that Fords are more optimistic than most with their claims. I always managed to beat the Mercedes and LandRover figures by a few MPG but have never come anywhere near the Ford ones.

It's by questioning the manufacturers figures that we see the real picture offered by owners and can make a valued judgment. It has been interesting looking at the posts on the other Ford forums to see that the MPG for most models in the range are often questioned by their owners.

Nice to get informative feedback.

Last Thursday on the Motorway my 1.6 petrol Titanium got 55 MPG. I do admit, a lot of that was stuck at 50mph in the M1 and M25 roadworks, but that proves if you drive normally you can get good MPG.

Even when doing 70 MPH the MPG only dropped to 52/53. Never went below 50MPG :)

Here's the drive cycle that all cars within the EU have to undergo to get figures for their fuel economy and CO2 emissions.

http://www.innas.com/HD_fuel_NEDC.html

Manufacturers can refine engines and ECUs so they perform well in the test if they wish, but there's no 'optimistic' element about it.

Here's the drive cycle that all cars within the EU have to undergo to get figures for their fuel economy and CO2 emissions.

http://www.innas.com/HD_fuel_NEDC.html

Manufacturers can refine engines and ECUs so they perform well in the test if they wish, but there's no 'optimistic' element about it.

Thats the only sensible way to compare fuel economy.

Most sensible figures I have seen posted. I would concur with your findings. (although I have never raced the car)

On reading the other Ford forums and sites, it would appear that Fords are more optimistic than most with their claims. I always managed to beat the Mercedes and LandRover figures by a few MPG but have never come anywhere near the Ford ones.

It's by questioning the manufacturers figures that we see the real picture offered by owners and can make a valued judgment. It has been interesting looking at the posts on the other Ford forums to see that the MPG for most models in the range are often questioned by their owners.

I think the point that many are trying to make is that the Fiesta (1.6 engine especially) is easily cabable of achieving low 40's mpg driven reasonably ie 5th gear at 30 mph, 75 on a flat motorway. I assure you, you really don't have to work that engine hard to move around at a normal pace. It will quite happily sit in 5th from 30 mph.

My long term average is around 40 mpg which really isn't that bad for how I drive it.

If it was in your hands I'm sure you could push that to 45 which isn't too far of the 'claimed' figures.

So yes long long term it doesn't achieve its 47.9 ( unreal world) but its not impossible to do it over shorter time frames and Im not just talking about hypermiling two miles down the road.

Things that positively affect my MPG are:

Regular journeys on our country roads( 40 + mpg easy to acheive at 50 -60 mph)

I don't have a fear of fifth gear when driving at 30mph in town.

Regular motorway runs. (Car will do 43-45 mpg at 70 on flat motorways easily)

Things that negatively affect my MPG:

I like give it full beans when accelerating onto motorways (and sometimes up the 300 metre altitude climb upto the Snake Pass summet) before easing off the power.

I spend upto 40 minutes a day in stop start traffic.

Lots of mornings ( like when it was -16) using the heated windscreen.

Long stretches of uphill motorway really do sap fuel at 75 ish !!!

The postive and negative aspects of my driving conditions and style have been fairly simalar (bar the super cold conditions) week in and week out since I bought the car in Jan 2010.

Cutting out the short bursts of heavy throttle action and driving normally increase my MPG over many tankfuls to 42- 43.5 ish. I guess it shows just how much fuel I used when you bury the pedal !

There is nothing optimistic about them at all, they are proven under test conditions, the same conditions other manufacturers use. Just because some people cannot attain those figures does not mean Ford are being optimistic.

There is nothing optimistic about them at all, they are proven under test conditions, the same conditions other manufacturers use. Just because some people cannot attain those figures does not mean Ford are being optimistic.

Ford no longer show the various urban/rural estimates and only offer a combined mileage.

By your own words, they are achieved under conditions that the normal motorist cannot achieve and are therefor by definition, optimistic.

Nowhere do Fords state that these mileages were achieved on a rolling road.

I find it both amusing and aggravating that you have nothing to offer to these threads but just criticize other FMs opinions.

I like to hear what other Fiesta owners achieve for their various models and what they have to add to the thread even if you find this subject "boring".

Ford no longer show the various urban/rural estimates and only offer a combined mileage.

By your own words, they are achieved under conditions that the normal motorist cannot achieve and are therefor by definition, optimistic.

No they are not optimistic because they don't say that you will achieve those figures, they say they achieved those figures during the test.

They are done under conditions that other manufacturers have to adhere to or otherwise they would be completely pointless. Otherwise you would have manufacturers using figures taken under any conditions and passing them off that would have no relevance to anyone. What is the point of that. Nobody drives the same, no two roads are the same and the weather is never the same. The test conditions Ford and everyone else uses are the only way to get a comparative result across the board. You only have to look at this or one of the many other threads to see the diversity of the mpg that's achieved by members using the "same" model to see that how they do it is the ONLY way.

Nowhere do Fords state that these mileages were achieved on a rolling road.

Do other manufacturers? Anyone who knows an inkling about mpg and manufacturer's figures know how theses figures are achieved, I've been saying this on here for ages.

I find it both amusing and aggravating that you have nothing to offer to these threads but just criticize other FMs opinions.

I have offered far, far more to this forum and members than you ever have with advice on various topics, christ, I've even helped to save one member's mum and dad thousands of pounds, so wind your neck in. Just because I don't agree with everything you say does not mean I cannot contribute to threads, that is unless you've been given some special powers that we're not aware off.

I like to hear what other Fiesta owners achieve for their various models and what they have to add to the thread even if you find this subject "boring".

So what I have I said and done that stops you from doing this. Last I heard this is a forum where everyone is encouraged to participate in threads, if I wish to ignore or contribute to any thread, then I will.

Again, you have took a thread "Off Topic", like last time you reported me for being incondusive to a topic.

Go on, report me again to the moderators and be hypocritical again when you do it or stop being so &#33;Removed&#33; precious against people who happen to disagree with you and obviously know more about the subject than yourself.

No they are not optimistic because they don't say that you will achieve those figures, they say they achieved those figures during the test.

They are done under conditions that other manufacturers have to adhere to or otherwise they would be completely pointless. Otherwise you would have manufacturers using figures taken under any conditions and passing them off that would have no relevance to anyone. What is the point of that. Nobody drives the same, no two roads are the same and the weather is never the same. The test conditions Ford and everyone else uses are the only way to get a comparative result across the board. You only have to look at this or one of the many other threads to see the diversity of the mpg that's achieved by members using the "same" model to see that how they do it is the ONLY way.

Do other manufacturers? Anyone who knows an inkling about mpg and manufacturer's figures know how theses figures are achieved, I've been saying this on here for ages.

I have offered far, far more to this forum and members than you ever have with advice on various topics, christ, I've even helped to save one member's mum and dad thousands of pounds, so wind your neck in. Just because I don't agree with everything you say does not mean I cannot contribute to threads, that is unless you've been given some special powers that we're not aware off.

So what I have I said and done that stops you from doing this. Last I heard this is a forum where everyone is encouraged to participate in threads, if I wish to ignore or contribute to any thread, then I will.

Again, you have took a thread "Off Topic", like last time you reported me for being incondusive to a topic.

Go on, report me again to the moderators and be hypocritical again when you do it or stop being so &#33;Removed&#33; precious against people who happen to disagree with you and obviously know more about the subject than yourself.

That's enough of that thanks.. unless you are going to post sensible topic related comments then please don't bother.