Do Not Sell My Personal Information

And barely a Ford to be seen...

trailertrash

15 minutes ago, trailertrash said:

we are or fixing it:smile:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, trailertrash said:

It's about 23 on the list of "Driver Power 2016: most reliable compact family cars" 3 places behind the Golf.

Based on my experiences of Ford vehicles recently, I am unsurprised that just about every car maker has a spot (or several spots) above Ford!  It is a mad world when Peugeot, Citroen, Alfa Romeo and FIAT have more reliable cars than Ford.

In the small car section - Ford barely even makes the table - the Fiesta is third from bottom.  Given that it is one of the most established designs (read this as no other car dates from 2008 on the list), one would have thought that the problems should have been ironed out much earlier into the production run.  But nope.

Similar message with the Focus.

Similar message with the Mondeo which occupies 2 of the 4 bottom slots.

Even worse for MPVs where Ford has both of the bottom slots.

I wouldn't mind having a less reliable car if the after sales care was up to even an acceptable standard - but it isn't even close to acceptable.

I quote the Ford website "Every Ford is built to give you years of worry-free motoring. And this reliability is backed by a comprehensive Ford warranty. You can also extend your protection for further worry-free motoring with our extended warranties for cars and commercial vehicles."  To this I say LOL and I can only imagine that the baby in this video has worked out the true value of his dad's Ford warranty.

There is only a 4.5% difference between the Fiesta and top spot. I don't know the size of the survey but the Fiesta numbers are likely to be more highly represented in comparison to the others and therefore the results could be slightly distorted.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, btmaldon said:

There is only a 4.5% difference between the Fiesta and top spot. I don't know the size of the survey but the Fiesta numbers are likely to be more highly represented in comparison to the others and therefore the results could be slightly distorted.

Not necessarily.  Some cars on that list have also sold in great numbers.  As long as a degree of statistical reliability is achieved, a car selling more than the others won't affect its place in the list too much.  And even if it did, it had an equal chance of going up the list rather than down.  A result on a survey of 5,000 is likely to return a similar result to one of 25,000 as long as the mix of respondents is the same.  Pollsters do it all the time - it's called sampling.  And an acceptable form of sampling is random selection with no criteria.  It's perfectly acceptable as long as the body of respondents is big enough.

What they don't do is describe the methodology used to give the percentage scores.  Is it a straightforward x percentage of people recommend? Or x percentage have had no faults?  Is it weighted to take account of repair costs and frequency?

And a 4.5% shift is statistically significant.  Shrink the economy by the same figure and see the panic that ensues.

• Like 1

to hell with the survey I have lived fords from I was a little kid and always will. My two boys are also ford fanatics and they are only young yet lol! 

Ford have a lot of history behind them and Henry was a very very smart man he was away ahead of his time. I don't feel any other car manufacture give 100% as ford but that's just my opinion.  Still look at this:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars/94280/best-selling-cars-of-2017

fords still well in the game these days and with the new range of Models being well speced and having features like All wheel drive ect they are uping their game every year, Any reviews of cars or surveys I don't take heat of as they really are a form of marketing really, the same goes for phones ect I just try the thing myself and if I like it then so be it and if I don't then that's it but in cars I always find myself going back and staying with ford don't know why but I like it :tongue:

• Like 1

I personally consider the "Driver Power Survey" to be less than reliable.  I think when it comes to measuring reliability of a make/type of car the Reliability Index (http://www.reliabilityindex.com/) is always worth a look.

PS: If you take a look you will see why I was only too happy to trade my unreliable Audi A3 in for a Focus!

But the reliability index is not all that reliable itself. It is run by the pirates at warranty direct, who have a vested interest in making money. An alternator on an Audi versus one on a Focus might be 3x difference in price. Of course they want to tell you the Ford is more reliable as they can fix many more of them and be better off!

I don't pretend that any survey is entirely accurate, but given that warranty direct will be using its index for money making purposes, I am already more suspicious.  At least Auto Express only appear to make money on advertising and selling magazines. Their income is not dictated by what car we might be buying or insuring with them.

• Like 1

I think parts are cheaper for Ford I think the right question is the cost of maintaining reliability? Also Audi and Toyota do cost more for the same car equivalence I am sure the cost of the car should affect the reliability charts but probably does not.  I would probably stick with Ford in the future e.g manual and petrol....

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/74

I think the mk1 has a higher score 20 than the mk2 which is pretty good maybe it is to do with cluster faults and automatic gear experiences?

Edited by v530anh
Changed if to I at start of sentence