Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta (62) Oil Pressure Warning Light...

liamrichards86

Just trying to get some advice...

This warning light came up on Friday last week and read the handbook and it said to check oil level (was on the lowest notch on dipsick). So i took it to Halfords they topped it up so it was half way in between the stick. Drove another 50-60 miles and then it came back on, took it to a local garage who did a diagnostic on it and it came back with no errors.?

Since then i took it to another garage who did a EDT oil flush, filter change and topped it back up, but the warning still was there and he advised it was the pump or engine.

Does this sound about right, the alarm is still present and the engine is now making a loud noise similar to if a penny was whizzing round 100mph in there.

I haven't driven it since but no local garage is currently closed (Family business and there all on holiday).. 

Any advice?

Eeek! at least you've used your whit and not used it until something bad happens.

Have you took the oil filler cap off and looked to see what the oil looks like ?

when i checked the dipstick it looked normal - plus when the guy did the EDT it flushed and the oil and muck out and then he topped it back up with new oil.

4 minutes ago, Ian Lanc said:

Eeek! at least you've used your whit and not used it until something bad happens.

Have you took the oil filler cap off and looked to see what the oil looks like ?

• Like 1

every second the engine runs without adequate oil pressure it is damaging the bearings etc in the engine.

I had a car years ago where this problem was down to a broken spring in the oil pressure relief valve. I have no idea where that might be on your engine, of course it could be a different problem.

I had another car where the problem was the hexagonal oil pump drive shaft had worn so it was round and hence did not turn the oil pump. But I have no idea how the oil pump is driven on your engine, it might not have such a shaft on it

I have to say that if the engine is now making strange noises it does not sound like the outcome is going to be cheap and easy.

You have not said what engine you have - size and fuel. if you tell us that someone here might know more about the pump and pressure relief valve

Its a 1.0 litre eco turbo - petrol.

The guy who did the EDT said it could be the pump or need a complete engine rebuild.

If it has the red oil lamp is on don't drive it >I know to my expense I killed a 2.0ltr  Ford Capri Pinto  engine by doing that .old car now I know but it still is the same. Could be pump or a bad leak(as in my case oil pressure pipe) but it needs to be sorted before you drive/ it again else you will kill the whole thing ie bearings and maybe the crank itself as I did. If it where me I wouldn't even start it just in case. But as you have, the damage maybe already be done. As usually when you see the red light its too late already. That's why the Guy said it might need an engine rebuild.

• 2 years later...

Hi.Im having the same warning about low oil pressure.It only comes on 1st thing in the morning and goes off straight away and doesn’t come on till the next morning.My oil is about 3/4 full on the dip stick.Having an engine flush and oil change at the weekend but worried it could be more.I only travel about 5 miles in the morning and 5 back at night.Do you think the car should be ok till the weekend??? Thanks.

Not sure "engine flush" is a good thing with the 1ltr ecoboost - the cambelt is inside the engine and the "flush" may damage it.

Ford do NOT recommend engine flush

Under no circumstances use an engine flush if it's an ecoboost 1.0  Get the oil pressure checked as soon as possible. 

• 10 months later...

Hi everyone

I've got a mk6 fiesta. Had all the belts, oil, and filters changed recently and took it for a drive. The oil light came on and there's a horrible banging noise now. Got towed back it sounded that bad. 

Is this likely to be the oil pump and how can I tell?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club