Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Antifreeze and Oil question

K2008

Can I just use any type of antifreeze? If not, what type of antifreeze do I need to buy? :unsure: (I read on the Halfords website I need a 'Organic Acid Technology (OAT)' one... :blink: - my car is a Focus 1.6 2002). I looked in the manual but it just tells me about the ratios being 50/50. My brother will be emptying the coolant for me and refreshing it.

Also, what oil do I need to buy? I haven't had an oil change in the 3 years of owning the car and have no idea when it last had one before that. It does say in the manual what type, I think it was 5W/30, but someone told me the other day that it's not the one I need to use now because the car is older and because of that I now need a thicker one?

I told my brother lastnight, that I was going to call in my local Ford garage to buy the antifreeze and oil and he replied "don't be stupid, they will charge you a bomb".

you want the oat stuff. its pink so you cant miss it. as for oil stick with the 5w30 (or 10w 30) as your manual suggests unless your car has driven to the moon and back

you want the oat stuff. its pink so you cant miss it. as for oil stick with the 5w30 (or 10w 30) as your manual suggests unless your car has driven to the moon and back

Thank you :D My car has done bewteen 53,000 and 54,000 (only done 8,000-9,000 miles in it since buying it 3 years ago).

Could you possibly suggest which one out of these two Oils would be best/better to use? Castrol Magnatec 5W30 Oil or Halfords 5W/30 Part Synthetic Oil

you will need pretty much 5litres on a 1.6 also its best to use 5w/30 and nothing else but part of fully synthetic doesnt matter.

3 years is far too long between oil changes. Even if you're not doing the mileage you should change the oil and filter at least once a year.

• Like 1

personally i would use castrol but you may need more than 4l for an oil change!!!!!! so it works out quite costly. So if your not a boy racer or doing mainly short trips just grab th halfords one and have done :)
you will need pretty much 5litres on a 1.6 also its best to use 5w/30 and nothing else but part of fully synthetic doesnt matter.

Thanks B)

3 years is far too long between oil changes. Even if you're not doing the mileage you should change the oil and filter at least once a year.

Don't worry, I am aware of this ;) I've been reminded enough by my dad and my brother.

I don't really have an excuse, other than I have no idea how to do it myself... being female maybe I should learn so I don't have to rely on other people. (I just bought a Haynes Manual - maybe that will be of some help).

But from now on it will be done yearly, no more slacking! I will be keeping the car for at least another 3 years, hopefully.

Another question to anyone who might know, should the antifreeze mixture be 50/50?

I have no idea where to get the oil Filter from, is any car shop ok? (Wilco, Halfords, Motor-World etc) or should I just get one from my local Ford garage.

Thanks B)

Don't worry, I am aware of this ;) I've been reminded enough by my dad and my brother.

I don't really have an excuse, other than I have no idea how to do it myself... being female maybe I should learn so I don't have to rely on other people. (I just bought a Haynes Manual - maybe that will be of some help).

But from now on it will be done yearly, no more slacking! I will be keeping the car for at least another 3 years, hopefully.

Another question to anyone who might know, should the antifreeze mixture be 50/50?

I have no idea where to get the Oil Filter from, is any car shop ok? (Wilco, Halfords, Motor-World etc) or should I just get one from my local Ford garage.

if you buy the pink anti freeze it is premixed to 50/50 so you just pour it in, can be pricey though.

any garage or motor factors will do a filter. if you go to halfords(where i get mine but on trade) expect to pay about a fiver.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...tegoryId_229902

if you buy the pink anti freeze it is premixed to 50/50 so you just pour it in, can be pricey though.

any garage or motor factors will do a filter. if you go to halfords(where i get mine but on trade) expect to pay about a fiver.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...tegoryId_229902

I would never buy Halfrauds own brand stuff...worth paying for decent oil imo - my 1.8 Duratorq needs 5.6 l (!) which cost me about £47 to get 2 x 4l Castrol bottles

Also, try Ford for a filter - I was pleasantly surprised I got one from them for £8 - which is cheaper than Halfrauds (about £10) and Champion (where I live anyways)

Always best to change oil/filter yourself if you can, then at least you know youve done a proper job and what oil/filter has been used - Im sure your Haynes manual will say changing the oil frequently is the best thing you can do for your engine!!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club