Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta 1.4 tdci 55 plate starting problems, air in fuel lines.

dannyblue11

Hi, 

I have been having a big problem with starting my car and I think it might be down to air in the fuel lines? 

I start the car and after a few seconds it will then stall and to get it started again I have to squeeze the priming bulb on the left hand side of the engine to get it started again. 

When you look at the fuel lines leading to the fuel filter and the priming bulb there appears to be air bubbles in the fuel lines. 

I have had a new fuel filter fitted but the problem persists. 

The only other work I have had done recently is a new pipe at the back of the engine because of a coolant leak and ever since then I have had this problem. Told the garage and they are not interested. Coincidence?  I don't know. 

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. 

There might be a leak in one of the lines. I'd check that all the lines are secure especially the one to the fuel filter. If that's all ok then I'd squeeze the bulb until you get rid of the air bubbles.

They may have removed the air filter box and fuel filter to improve access if they were working at the back of the engine? When you disconnect the fuel filter you can hear the fuel draining back into the tank as you are letting air in

Like Ticktock said, pump the priming bulb to get rid of the air, keep going until it is quite firm. It can still take a couple of attempts to start as the system will bleed itself further when the engine is running

Hi Thanks for the replies, 

I have squeezed the priming bulb until it is firm but the problem persists every time I start it. 

I have a suspicion that the air is getting in when it is being driven.

The fuel lines leading up to the fuel filter are attached properly.  

Just hope it isn't the fuel pump, but I am not a mechanic so I probably shouldn't jump to conclusions.

I guess it's another trip the the mechanics so they can investigate in more detail.  

Update. 

Took my car to another garage and they found one of the fuel lines had been pinched and was letting air in to the fuel lines. 

New fuel lines fitted and the problem has now gone. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club