Sign in to follow this  
tamhay

clutch issue

Recommended Posts

Hi all I am looking for advice I was out driving today and noticed my revs were higher than my speed when changing gear. But when I go into first and release the clutch it's not near the floor and when I go into 3,4,5 it pulls away fine. I checked the brake clutch fluid level and it's beyond low could topping up the fluid fix it or do I need a new clutch ? I've only had the car a couple months so no idea when the clutch was  put on.

 

It's a 2001 1.8 turbo diesel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tamhay said:

Hi all I am looking for advice I was out driving today and noticed my revs were higher than my speed when changing gear. But when I go into first and release the clutch it's not near the floor and when I go into 3,4,5 it pulls away fine. I checked the brake clutch fluid level and it's beyond low could topping up the fluid fix it or do I need a new clutch ? I've only had the car a couple months so no idea when the clutch was  put on.

 

It's a 2001 1.8 turbo diesel.

Hi Tam.

Drive the car on a flat piece of road at 30mph in a high gear.  Floor it, if the revs leap ahead of the speed you've got a slipping clutch and to my limited knowledge the only fix for that is a new one!  Another test I've heard of is starting the car and trying to move off in 3rd gear.  If the car stalls, clutch ok.  If it moves, clutch on its way out.  If the brake fluid reservoir is low you should get the correct brake fluid and top it up.  Not sure if that would cause  a slipping clutch though.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a slipping clutch to me, my other half had a similar issue in her Clio, soon as my brother (who's a mechanic) took one trip in it diagnosed that the clutch was on its way out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, tamhay said:

I checked the brake clutch fluid level and it's beyond low could topping up the fluid fix it or do I need a new clutch ?

It sounds like the slave cylinder has been leaking fluid over the clutch so you'll need a new clutch and cylinder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Albert27 said:

Hi Tam.

Drive the car on a flat piece of road at 30mph in a high gear.  Floor it, if the revs leap ahead of the speed you've got a slipping clutch and to my limited knowledge the only fix for that is a new one!  Another test I've heard of is starting the car and trying to move off in 3rd gear.  If the car stalls, clutch ok.  If it moves, clutch on its way out.  If the brake fluid reservoir is low you should get the correct brake fluid and top it up.  Not sure if that would cause  a slipping clutch though.......

The problem comes from the self adjusting clutches, not sure if the mk1 has one or not, I'm not 100% sure but from what I have read here and there, a self adjusting clutch will just let go without that much warning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hydraulic clutches are, by their nature, self-adjusting and as far as I know have been fitted to all models of Focus.

I do seem to remember my daughter's old Mk1 Fiesta had a cable clutch with a ratchet-and-pawl self-adjusting mechanism on the pedal. Perhaps that's what you have in mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mjt said:

Hydraulic clutches are, by their nature, self-adjusting and as far as I know have been fitted to all models of Focus.

I do seem to remember my daughter's old Mk1 Fiesta had a cable clutch with a ratchet-and-pawl self-adjusting mechanism on the pedal. Perhaps that's what you have in mind.

Not technically true.. Some cars do use a self adjusting hydraulic clutch.. Some Vauxhall and Bmw that I have seen. Also known as a SAC clutch which needs special tools to remove/refit. Personally I don't see the need but there is a difference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mjt said:

It sounds like the slave cylinder has been leaking fluid over the clutch so you'll need a new clutch and cylinder.

A light bulb moment for me....... when a slave cylinder leaks, is it leaking the brake/clutch fluid?  I had this happen to me on a new clutch because the garage who did the job didn't replace the slave cylinder and 8 months later..........you guessed it, new clutch and slave cylinder.  Never went there again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Albert27 said:

A light bulb moment for me....... when a slave cylinder leaks, is it leaking the brake/clutch fluid?  I had this happen to me on a new clutch because the garage who did the job didn't replace the slave cylinder and 8 months later..........you guessed it, new clutch and slave cylinder.  Never went there again!

Correct 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read else where in the forum that if I park on level ground and try and pull away in 3rd and it does then the clutch is ok if I try it in 4th and it does then the clutch is in great condition ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

also get the dmf changed as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/03/2017 at 10:46 PM, tamhay said:

I read else where in the forum that if I park on level ground and try and pull away in 3rd and it does then the clutch is ok if I try it in 4th and it does then the clutch is in great condition ?

Someone's pulling your plonker. If it pulls away in 3rd or 4th without stalling your clutch is toast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree. Even if the clutch was fine before carrying out this test, it may well not be fine after this test. This is a bit like destructive testing.

I would do it by driving along in third at moderate revs. The try accelerating whilst holding your left foot slightly on the brake. It can be tricky to get just the amount of braking with left foot. if engine revs increase and car does not get faster then clutch is slipping

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, isetta said:

I agree. Even if the clutch was fine before carrying out this test, it may well not be fine after this test. This is a bit like destructive testing.

I would do it by driving along in third at moderate revs. The try accelerating whilst holding your left foot slightly on the brake. It can be tricky to get just the amount of braking with left foot. if engine revs increase and car does not get faster then clutch is slipping

you realise your going to have a whole bunch of people faceplant themselves trying left foot braking :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

put the h/brake on put it in 2nd gear put ur heel on footbrake and ur toe on gas and let the clutch up slowly whilst slightly pressing  accelerator  if u can u take ur foot off the clutch and it still runs ur clutch is knackered make sure ur not facing a wall and there's nothing in front of you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this