Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2011 1.4 tdci problem

Spanish_Fiesta

Hi all, I have recently got a 1.4 tdci Fiesta and Ive noticed when driving it sometimes jerks on acceleration and also when I let my foot off the accelerator.

I noticed when idling the other day that occassionally it will be idling normally and all of a the needle will go up slightly for a second and then return to normal revs.

Has anyone experienced this or know what the problem is ?

Thanks, 

Steve.

When was the last time you replaced the fuel filter? Could be that it needs a new one sounds clogged to me.

22 minutes ago, Ryan_Tango said:

When was the last time you replaced the fuel filter? Could be that it needs a new one sounds clogged to me.

Hi Ryan,  Thanks for your reply.

I only got the car last wednesday and Ive literally driven it back from the garage I bought it from and then once today.

I noticed that after a relatively short journey today that the fan was on when I pulled up at home also.

19 minutes ago, Spanish_Fiesta said:

Hi Ryan,  Thanks for your reply.

I only got the car last wednesday and Ive literally driven it back from the garage I bought it from and then once today.

I noticed that after a relatively short journey today that the fan was on when I pulled up at home also.

Fan staying on is likely just DPF regen the car will not perform 100% while a regen is taking place but it's normal, the fuel filter is a cheap enough job to do yourself or even pay a mechanic to do it for you.

I'm not sure about the laws surrounding the DPF in Spain but if they're not a requirement have it removed.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Tango said:

Fan staying on is likely just DPF regen the car will not perform 100% while a regen is taking place but it's normal, the fuel filter is a cheap enough job to do yourself or even pay a mechanic to do it for you.

I'm not sure about the laws surrounding the DPF in Spain but if they're not a requirement have it removed.

Ahh yeah Ive had cars with dpf before so I will take it on a good run tomorrow.

Im going to take it back to the garage this week as it said in the ad it had been serviced just before it got to them (Ex lease car).

I wanted to check when it had last been serviced, With what you said about the fuel filter and theres no service records.

So I reckon your are bob on regarding the fuel filter and the cars probably not been serviced in a while.

Re: Laws in Spain, They are pretty strict, For example.... Have to have matching tyres on both sides at the front and same at back, Although  fronts can be different to back. Tyre sizes have to be the same as whats stated on the log book (There is 4 different sizes on the log book though) but no bigger than 16 inch.

If I wanted to get 17" wheels I would have to go to an itv centre (equivalent of mot centre) and see if they will grant me permission.... If they decide I can have 17's, I then have to pay X amount to have this stated on the logbook.

I would imagine a dpf delete is against the law here but I suppose they wouldnt know if Id just had the inside gubbings removed and had it welded back up.

14 minutes ago, Spanish_Fiesta said:

Ahh yeah Ive had cars with dpf before so I will take it on a good run tomorrow.

Im going to take it back to the garage this week as it said in the ad it had been serviced just before it got to them (Ex lease car).

I wanted to check when it had last been serviced, With what you said about the fuel filter and theres no service records.

So I reckon your are bob on regarding the fuel filter and the cars probably not been serviced in a while.

Re: Laws in Spain, They are pretty strict, For example.... Have to have matching tyres on both sides at the front and same at back, Although  fronts can be different to back. Tyre sizes have to be the same as whats stated on the log book (There is 4 different sizes on the log book though) but no bigger than 16 inch.

If I wanted to get 17" wheels I would have to go to an itv centre (equivalent of mot centre) and see if they will grant me permission.... If they decide I can have 17's, I then have to pay X amount to have this stated on the logbook.

I would imagine a dpf delete is against the law here but I suppose they wouldnt know if Id just had the inside gubbings removed and had it welded back up.

A lot of car services don't include having the fuel filter replaced sadly, worth a shot hope you get it back running smooth :)

14 minutes ago, Ryan_Tango said:

A lot of car services don't include having the fuel filter replaced sadly, worth a shot hope you get it back running smooth :)

Thanks mate, I appreciate the help 👍

Its worth also checking coolant if fan is staying on, also i've noticed on my 1.6tdci uk model that sometimes the fan can stay on draining the battery, apprently a common problem.  Also where you fill up can make a difference.  

10 minutes ago, agenttech47 said:

Its worth also checking coolant if fan is staying on, also i've noticed on my 1.6tdci uk model that sometimes the fan can stay on draining the battery, apprently a common problem.  Also where you fill up can make a difference.  

Hi mate, The fan has gone off when I turned the engine off, I just found it strange the fan coming on after a short journey. Could be dpf though like Ryan said.

I will check my coolant tomorrow mate, Thanks for the heads up.

The car being the age it is.....Change all filters (fuel, oil, air, pollen), using genuine filters. Change oil with good quality oil (Castrol etc) i'd personally get the brakes bled and fluid changed and change coolant too. Change the glow plugs too. Let it run low on fuel and fill up with fresh fuel, add a bottle of fuel additive to help clean the injectors.  After all that. Give it a good hour run on a motorway at a constant 70mph, that will help sort a few things.

Least you know its been serviced then, never take someone's word for a car having just been serviced unless there obviously someone you've known a long time/trust or family member etc.

Basically chuck £200 or £300 at it now in service/parts/labour costs (get it all done in one go will be cheaper) and that should benefit you long term with the car as your starting the servicing afresh.

Report back on any issues when you've done the above.

3 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Change all filters (fuel, oil, air, pollen), using genuine filters. Change oil with good quality oil (Castrol etc). Let it run low on fuel and fill up with fresh fuel, add a bottle of fuel additive to help clean the injectors.  After all that. Give it a good hour run on a motorway at a constant 70mph, that will help sort a few things.

Least you know its been serviced then, never take someone's word for a car having just been serviced unless there obviously someone you've known a long time/trust or family member etc.

Report back on any issues when you've done the above.

Ok cheers Dave, I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the advice.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club