Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta MK7 1.4 TDCI. Problems starting in the cold

James West Mids

Hi guys,

I've just purchased a cheap run-around to get me to work and back. It's a 2009 Fiesta 1.4 TDCI with a 100,000 miles on the clock. For what it is, it drives great with no notable issues.

The only problem I'm having is when the ambient temperature is cold outside. The car struggles to start. At the moment to start the car, I'm turning the electrics on via the 2nd ignition point, leaving it for 30 seconds, then igniting and it starts every time (so far). Obviously, if I can make a diagnosis, I'd like to sort this out just in case it turns into a real problem where the car won't start, period.

What I'd like to get from you guys, if possible is: Why would the car struggle to start in the cold? What are the possible causes for this to happen? 

I don't want to take it to a garage if I can help it. The point of this car was to cost me minimal for a few years as a run-around. I'm no mechanic but I'm quite handy (an engineer by profession) so I don't mind getting into the engine bay and experimenting).

Thanks,

James

I am not clear on what you mean when you say it struggles to start

a) the starter motor turns the engine over at a good speed but the engine struggles to fire up properly on 4 cylinders.

b)the starter motor turns the engine over at a good speed but the engine does not fire at all for a while.

or

b) the starter motor is not turning the engine over as fast as it should

Can you hear any 'chuffing' when the car is idling? If so its the copper injector seals that have gone meaning that it can take a bit longer to start the car - mine were replaced when I bought the car, just changed 1 yesterday that failed after around 40k miles.

I usually go to the 2nd ignition point and wait for the lights on the dash to go out - also has the fuel filter been changed recently and can you see any air bubbles in the fuel line under the air filter?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club