Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Victim of a BMW sandwich

mike6688

So on Saturday I was rear ended by a BMW and pushed forwards into another BMW. I was stationary in traffic and he came through the lights straight into back of me.  I have dashcam footage (which I can't share yet as the Police are involved and may go to court). It shows him make no effort to slow down, then he speeds up and hits me last few seconds. My rear dashcam footage is to be used by police to possibly bring a charge of driving without due care. He's admitted fault and his insurance haven't argued about it all just accepted straight away he was at fault. It certainly pays to have a rear camera with something like this. So, now I'm left with a Fiat 500X hire car, and a painful neck and back and unable to turn my head fully left. 

Im hoping my car won't be a write off but it is damaged front and rear :/ 

IMG_0991.JPG

good job you had your dash cams

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of this...

normally a verdict from insurer of fault supports police investigations (said from experience). So this will be beneficial in that regards.

Do you have legal cover on your insurance? From dual experience, you need physio soon. The longer it's left, the more painful it becomes... Four years later I'm still suffering

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, dezwez said:

good job you had your dash cams

Certainly was

47 minutes ago, jeebowhite said:

Sorry to hear of this...

normally a verdict from insurer of fault supports police investigations (said from experience). So this will be beneficial in that regards.

Do you have legal cover on your insurance? From dual experience, you need physio soon. The longer it's left, the more painful it becomes... Four years later I'm still suffering

Sorry to hear you had something similar and still suffering. Yes I have legal cover with my policy, they're arranging a physio to assess and recovering costs from me being off work. 

Police are aware now the 3rd party's insurance has accepted fault so just waiting to see what police do now. 

• Like 1

It took about three weeks for Kent Police to tell me the other driver was charged with driving without due care, if your force are. Like mine, they need or want, an independent witness to verify the claims, given your at a junction I trust they are a plenty! Otherwise it took I think about 6 months for him to be in front of a judge and found guilty.... Ironically I wasn't offered compensation, he was just bent over...

I'd imagine that'd be a write off. I was involved in a similar accident and was told it was a write off.

• Like 1

Depends how heavy the hit was. Two bumpers and glass is fine, but bumpers, glass, bottlid, twisted metal it's guaranteed

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeebowhite said:

It took about three weeks for Kent Police to tell me the other driver was charged with driving without due care, if your force are. Like mine, they need or want, an independent witness to verify the claims, given your at a junction I trust they are a plenty! Otherwise it took I think about 6 months for him to be in front of a judge and found guilty.... Ironically I wasn't offered compensation, he was just bent over...

Yeah having been witness to an RTC with Staffordshire police they took about 3 weeks then as well. There was a lot of traffic on the A5 and many witnesses at the time but no one stopped. That sucks you didn't get anything for your injuries  

2 hours ago, Tom-B64 said:

I'd imagine that'd be a write off. I was involved in a similar accident and was told it was a write off.

59 minutes ago, jeebowhite said:

Depends how heavy the hit was. Two bumpers and glass is fine, but bumpers, glass, bottlid, twisted metal it's guaranteed

The rear bumper and parking sensors are cracked, rear light is cracked. Front bumper smashed including DRL's in the bumper. Boot lid has a small dent and crack. As far as I can see there's no damage other than this and no metal on the structure of the car is damaged (but obviously I can't check all and not an expert). He was travelling about 20MPH (which is my speed according to dashcam and he was travelling same speed behind prior) I stopped behind traffic, but then he seems to speed up just prior so I would estimate he hit me about 30+MPH. 

Normally more than 3 panels on a car over 5 is close to write off, bottlid, all the lights and bonnet and bumper your possibly tipped over the scale. I'm still dealing with the second accident but I had two vauxhalls but me whilst I stood still in 2014 and I do suffer for it now

• Like 1

Well, you are OK (for the most part!) which is the main thing.  Cars - even Fords - can be replaced, your health and life cannot.

It is a shame because the car looks undamaged from that picture, and would probably be fixable, but these days it would be classed as a write off most likely.

• Like 2

Surprisingly hardly any visible damage at the rear of your car, in that picture you posted anyway. Front of BMW is fully crumpled however.

Glad you're (more or less) OK, having dashcams (even if it's just one) really pays off nowadays.

The sucky part is that your insurance premium will increase, even though you're not at fault. It's a total con.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jeebowhite said:

Normally more than 3 panels on a car over 5 is close to write off, bottlid, all the lights and bonnet and bumper your possibly tipped over the scale. I'm still dealing with the second accident but I had two vauxhalls but me whilst I stood still in 2014 and I do suffer for it now

Ok, guess I'll just have to wait and see what they say. It's always bad when you end up suffering for what was someone else's fault :/ 

1 hour ago, jmurray01 said:

Well, you are OK (for the most part!) which is the main thing.  Cars - even Fords - can be replaced, your health and life cannot.

It is a shame because the car looks undamaged from that picture, and would probably be fixable, but these days it would be classed as a write off most likely.

That's very true. Everyone walked away with no major injury, just shaken and few aches and pains. Probably not the best picture of the damage of my car but it was the BMW that came off the worse. 

32 minutes ago, Incontro said:

Surprisingly hardly any visible damage at the rear of your car, in that picture you posted anyway. Front of BMW is fully crumpled however.

Glad you're (more or less) OK, having dashcams (even if it's just one) really pays off nowadays.

The sucky part is that your insurance premium will increase, even though you're not at fault. It's a total con.

Looking at the BMW it does seem surprising how little damage there seems to be to my car. The picture isn't the best pic to show my damage though. I'll try upload better ones tomorrow if I remember before the car goes to the garage. Dashcams are worth it when something like this happens. 

Yeah it's annoying, it's been 3 years since I was hit by insured driver - so my insurance had only just gone down from then. I guess it's going up again now :/ 

Sorry to hear this.

It's very likely that your car will be written off I'm afraid. Seeing it will have a diary amount of damage at the rear and the front whilst not having a high market value (in insurer terms) they'll just cut their losses. Of course I'll be very happy to be proved wrong if it's fixable though!

Your car won't look damaged at the backdue to the rear of cars not being designed to crumple nearly as much as the front. Some of the damage may be hidden as the energy will have been dispersed through the car (and you!) So it can be worse than it looks. :sad:

Glad to hear you're alright though.

• Like 1

I was rear ended by a coach in 2014 at standstill they some how managed to repair my car I was hit with some good force (not sure what exactly happened other than he failed to stop at the lights) anyway I suffer the damages to this day with back pain. My car? It's still on the road good as new though was in the garage for around 2 months. 

Judging on that, as I was expecting mine to be a write off I'm guessing if it is then it's front end damage that causes it. 

Either way hopefully it gets sorted for you :) 

• Like 1

Yeah there was quite a bit of energy I wouldn't be surprised if the frame of car is damaged. I can't see any damage to frame and seems to all be in line, but I can't check all properly. Fingers crossed it's fixable I love this car, but obviously I know it can be replaced the important thing is everyone is ok. The car did its job in terms of protection and activating all safety features during and after crash. 

That must have hurt being hit by a coach!! Sorry to hear you're still having back pain. Glad you're car was fixable though. Not too much damage to the front, I'm hoping just bumper and DRL's. Seems to all be in shape and engine compartments seem fine. 

Couple of pics of the damage. The pics don't show front damage very good, the front bumper seems slightly twisted I.e offside off the bumper appears shorted than nearside and the black grill bits are smashed where DRL's are. 

IMG_1001.JPG

IMG_1002.JPG

IMG_1003.JPG

IMG_1005.JPG

In this light it doesn't look all that bad.

As for being hit by a coach, the one thing I have learned about PCV Operators, is they tend to do all the repairs themselves. They don't like going through Insurer's because their vehicle and public liability insurance costs rocket...

It'll certainly need a new rear bumper, among other things, but doesn't look too severe. Just depends on how much parts are and if the floor plan is bent. Let us know!

When I got sandwiched my car (07 Fiesta) was the one with the least damage, the Peugeot that rear ended me was going around 20-25 mph, I was at a stand still and the car in front (2013 Skoda Octavia Estate) was also at a stand still. The skoda had bad rear end damage where I got pushed into it, and the Peugeot was ruined at the front, leaking coolant everywhere. Both of my bumpers had only slightly dropped and were slightly cracked but other than that that as it, yet it was still classed as a write off :sad:

Judging by the state of your rear bumper I'd say they'll write it off. The chassis and the boot floor area are what takes the most damage in scenarios like this. I could be wrong, but I'd prepare for car shopping soon :biggrin: 

I'm preparing for it to be written off, having had a better look now the weather has improved.  The rear bumper seems connected to like two steel beams that runs the length of the car to the front, the very edge where it connects is bent on one of the beams but not massively.  I'm assuming the whole of this would have to be replaced if it can be.  

The garage doing the repairs are going to pick the car up Friday and will be assessed from there.  I'll update as I know more  

As much as I like looking shopping for a new Ford I wasn't planning on it just yet lol

Modern cars are designed to crumple in a controlled way to absorb impact.
A lot of it is subtle and in hidden places so on the surface will look ok but underneath may look like a used foil takeaway tray.
If they do cat B it at least you'll get full cover due to the moron that rearended you.
Just be careful that the one in front doesn't pursue you.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stoney871 said:

Modern cars are designed to crumple in a controlled way to absorb impact.
A lot of it is subtle and in hidden places so on the surface will look ok but underneath may look like a used foil takeaway tray.
If they do cat B it at least you'll get full cover due to the moron that rearended you.
Just be careful that the one in front doesn't pursue you.

Sent from my SM-G930F

That's true, just got to wait and see what they say now when the car goes. 

Yeah the insurance for the guy that hit me  have accepted he was fully at fault and have a written letter confirming this. My insurance have dashcam footage now of this. No ones really mentioned the guy in front other than my insurance saying he will just have to claim from the guy that hit me.  They're happy I wasn't at fault for him. The insurance for the guy that hit me called the other day though - he hadn't even told them he'd pushed me into a car in front they just thought he'd gone into the back of me and that was it. So I'm hoping they don't try and change their mind now they know the events were different.  I've told them to discuss anything with my insurance company now rather than call me direct also; as that's what my insurance have asked me to do.  

Police are also happy it was the rear cars fault, and have front and rear dashcam footage now. 

Thank goodness for dashcams.
I believe they should be compulsory.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stoney871 said:

Thank goodness for dashcams.
I believe they should be compulsory.

Sent from my SM-G930F

I agree, would help a lot especially with things like cash for crash. Also speed up insurance decisions of who's at fault. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, mike6688 said:

I agree, would help a lot especially with things like cash for crash. Also speed up insurance decisions of who's at fault. 

Hence why I think that instead of these stupid "black boxes" insurers fit for young drivers, they should just make dash cams compulsory and if a claim is made, there will be footage.  It doesn't give them the opportunity to scrutinise all your driving habits like the black boxes do (and use them to put your premiums up even if you don't claim), and will only be used if you crash or are involved in a crash.  Much fairer.

It's the same as seat-belts.  They don't affect how you drive or your likelihood of having a crash, but are still compulsory.

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club