Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spare wheel for Ford Fiesta Ecoboost 1.0 Zetec?

Rose_UK

Owing to a tree having fallen on top of my VW Polo (only bought at end of November, alas) during Storm Doris, I have just taken delivery of a 2015 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost 1.0 Zetec, which has come with one of those repair kit things rather than a proper spare wheel. I was advised by the salesman (great chap!) NOT to buy a spare from their dealership as it would be really expensive - better to find something on, eg, eBay.

Being a bit of an ignoramus about cars, however, I'm not entirely sure what I should be looking for, in terms of spec... 14" or 15"? Would a full-size wheel be better than a 'space saver'? If so, would it fit under the boot OK?

Any advice much appreciated! :smile:

Get yourself a mk6 spare 175 / /14
Cant remember exact size & you will need foam tray / jack & brace.i got mine for £20 off eBay.
Also wheel securing screw to hold tight in tyre well.
Mine has just come need to check fitment.
Will update you on it but remind me
Send you links when i find the seller
Yunii

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

A full size spare is the best option.You only have a limited distance and speed with a spacesaver.. Not much use if you have some distance to travel. Don't forget that you will need a jack and wheel nut wrench.

Keep the compressor, really handy to inflate a tyre.

A full size spare will fit in the wheel well, but may be a bit taller than the floor, depending on what width your tyre is. Not really a problem.  Photo is a 17 inch.

Photo0040.jpg

A full size spare is the best option.You only have a limited distance and speed with a spacesaver.. Not much use if you have some distance to travel. Don't forget that you will need a jack and wheel nut wrench.
Keep the compressor, really handy to inflate a tyre.
A full size spare will fit in the wheel well, but may be a bit taller than the floor, depending on what width your tyre is. Not really a problem.  Photo is a 17 inch.
Photo0040.jpg

The mk6 wheel is full size but 14's
Yunii

Yuni, It depends by what you mean by a Mk 6. Rose'e car is a 2015 which on this site is a 7.5., a Mk 6 is pre 2008. Agreed that a Mk 6 can be 14 inch also 15 and even 16 and they are all full size and will fit. A 14 inch tyre is 175-65-14. A full size wheel the same as what is already on the car is still the best option.

Yuni, It depends by what you mean by a Mk 6. Rose'e car is a 2015 which on this site is a 7.5., a Mk 6 is pre 2008. Agreed that a Mk 6 can be 14 inch also 15 and even 16 and they are all full size and will fit. A 14 inch tyre is 175-65-14. A full size wheel the same as what is already on the car is still the best option.

I have a mk7 titanium 2011 on 61 & i fitted 175/45/14 & it fits perfect.i just ordered the screw to clamp down tight. I also have the titanium 195/45/16 alloy which will fit but sits slightly raised.
Yunii

2 hours ago, yunii said:

I have a mk7 titanium 2011 on 61 & i fitted 175/45/14 & it fits perfect.i just ordered the screw to clamp down tight. I also have the titanium 195/45/16 alloy which will fit but sits slightly raised.
Yunii

Should be 175/65/14 rather than 45. Speedo will be way off amongst other problems on the 45. 

Should be 175/65/14 rather than 45. Speedo will be way off amongst other problems on the 45. 

Sorry it is 45 not 65
Yunii

I know this reiterates some of the above.

The official spare wheel for the Fiestas from 2002 up until now is 175/65/14. It is the same wheel for all of those years.

But newer cars have tyre pressure sensors so if you buy an older 2nd hand one from eBay and put on a newish car I assume you will get a constant notification on dash board about the tyre pressure sensor not being detected (or something like that), but not tried it myself.

My 2015 Fiesta Style econetic has 175/65/14 tyres on steel wheels as standard. On Econetic you still get a spare as standard so my spare is the same as those on the car - just like the old days!

So the standard spare for Fiestas is not a true space saver (it is not a skinny narrow one), it is the standard wheel from some of the fiesta range (eg. The base 'studio' models of the Mk6.5 series, some of the Mk6 (not sure exactly which) and the Econetic models of the Mk7/mk7.5 series).

I had a 2007 Fiesta and ran it for years on 2nd hand unused spare wheels I bought on eBay. Generally I paid about £40 each including shipping. They were unused - never put on a car-just been in the boot, all the ones I bought (at least 10 over the years) had Bridgestone B391 tyres on.  In case anyone worries about how old the tyres might be - all tyres since about 1980 have the week and year of manufacture moulded in one side wall (not both side walls) and if they have been in the dark in the boot they will not have deteriorated as much as if on a car.

edit: a few weeks ago there was some debate on here about what size spare you will get with a Fiesta if you pay for the optional spare now. someone who was at a Ford dealership said they had just taken delivery of a crate of them and they were still 175/65/14 but looking at eBay would suggest there were some modern Fiestas that had skinny narrow space saver type spares (eg 125/80/15)

I know this reiterates some of the above.

The official spare wheel for the Fiestas from 2002 up until now is 175/65/14. It is the same wheel for all of those years.

But newer cars have tyre pressure sensors so if you buy an older 2nd hand one from ebay and put on a newish car I assume you will get a constant notification on dash board about the tyre pressure sensor not being detected (or something like that), but not tried it myself.

My 2015 Fiesta Style econetic has 175/65/14 tyres on steel wheels as standard. On Econetic you still get a spare as standard so my spare is the same as those on the car - just like the old days!

So the standard spare for Fiestas is not a true space saver (it is not a skinny narrow one), it is the standard wheel from some of the fiesta range (eg. The base 'studio' models of the Mk6.5 series, some of the Mk6 (not sure exactly which) and the Econetic models of the Mk7/mk7.5 series).

I had a 2007 Fiesta and ran it for years on 2nd hand unused spare wheels I bought on ebay. Generally I paid about £40 each including shipping. They were unused - never put on a car-just been in the boot, all the ones I bought (at least 10 over the years) had Bridgestone B391 tyres on.  In case anyone worries about how old the tyres might be - all tyres since about 1980 have the week and year of manufacture moulded in one side wall (not both side walls) and if they have been in the dark in the boot they will not have deteriorated as much as if on a car.

On my Focus mk2.5 the tyre monitor is read from abs system , otherwise i woul've had message on dash cos i changed standard alloys & tyres to ST225 ones. I'm assuming its the same on the mk7 fiesta. Otherwise when you change tyre you would have to refit the tpms in the tyre when changing tyres off the rim. Although most prestige cars do have in the tyre. Maybe the later gen focus does also.

Yunii

The TPMS on Festas is fitted to the valves, The early system has 1 ring around the valve the later system has 2. I don't know if the 2 systems work together although my car has the latest system but my spare is the earlier type.

Many thanks for all the replies (for some reason the forum didn't notify me that any had come in) - I'm afraid, though, that being so clueless about cars, I'm getting more boggled than ever!

For example, how do i find out if my wheels are 14 or 15"?

Would any or all of these be OK?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152451657783?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252797925994?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152201680890?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191946384286?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

As ever, all advice welcome!

Yes , you must be completely mystified with all the talk about 14 or 15 inches..  Look at your tyre. What size does it have on it,  It will be something like 175.65, 14 (15) T.

Have you got alloy wheels?  If you can post a photo of your wheels if you have alloys. If you have alloys find a wheel the same.

Forget about space savers,  They have a restricted speed limit and distance. Meaning you have to get your tyre repaired quickly. With a full size spare you have time to get your tyre repaired.

If you have steel wheels that makes it easier. If you opt for the full size spare it must be the same size as what you have on your car.

• Like 1

this explains the markings on tyres (don't worry about the load and speed ratings 87V).

Often the letter R will not be mentioned. For example the tyre in the pic would be called 195/55/16 

Hef_Tyre_Help.png

• Like 2

This is what I posted in response to a similar post in the Wheels and Tyres forum if it is any use

AFAIK fiesta space savers are all the same - the larger wheels just have lower profile tires meaning the total circumference stays the same.  The one in my Fiesta is a 14" (can't remember the exact measurements), but its basically a 14" Fiesta wheel with a higher profile tyre on it .  The proper screw to attach the wheel to the well isn't cheap btw (think it was £10+) and you will also need a jack and wheel brace if the wheel is to be any use.  

On my previous mk7 fiesta I used spare wheel/jack/brace from an old Focus which I got on eBay for £40.  Problem with that obviously is you dont know the history of the wheel and a replacement tyre was impossible for me to come by locally.  I'll try remember to look at the measurements of the genuine wheel when I'm out at the car next for you.

EDIT: 175/65 14 is the size according to a quick online search.  

You 2015 Fiesta will definitely have the newer TPMS system with the sensor in the tyre itself and WILL signal an alert if you put a wheel on that doesn't have a sensor in the valve.  However, you can simply ignore the warning and clear it in the menu when it periodically pops up (though it does get rather irritating as it flashes on the dashboard and covers the entire radio display until acknowledged) - the car doesn't refuse to move or anything drastic like that.  The reason I know is I managed to damage one of my sensors swerving to avoid someone (though my dealer replaced the valve under warranty which was nice of them!).  From the top of my head the sensors operate at 433 mhz.  If you can live with the warnings on the off-chance you do need to use the spare, 15" Ford alloys are available on eBay and gumtree for not a lot of money.

It does indeed appear that newer Fiesta's may be coming with 15" spare wheels, perhaps this is a cost saving measure now the 14" wheeled models are discontinued (logic being its cheaper to increase the orders of 15" tyres than bring in 14" tyres just for spares now the Studio spec is gone, and would also use up any steel wheels left over from the Style trim)? The factory spare in my current (late 2014 built) Fiesta is 175/65 14 and it does have the same valve on it as the alloys.  Unfortunately my new Fiesta hasn't got a spare from the factory (dealer fitting it instead) so it's unlikely I will be able to confirm that 15's are being suppled from the Neihl.

• Like 1

"It does indeed appear that newer Fiesta's may be coming with 15" spare wheels, perhaps this is a cost saving measure now the 14" wheeled models are discontinued (logic being its cheaper to increase the orders of 15" tyres than bring in 14" tyres just for spares now the Studio spec is gone, and would also use up any steel wheels left over from the Style trim)?"

I believe they are still doing 14" wheel Fiestas new. I believe all of the Econetic Diesels still have 175/65/14 even if Zetec and Titanium trim levels. The econetic is the higher mpg version and I believe one of the things which helps that (although must be marginal) is the smaller narrower tyres.

• Like 1

i had my car jacked up the other week i have 195/45/r16 i was wondering if a full size would fit, it did but was raised very slighly maybe like half an inch, i will be getting a matching alloy and tyre to fit 

Many thanks, all, yet again (thanks to Isetta for the clear explanation of tyre markings)! So I've checked out the wheels, which read 195/55R15/85H - which leads me to believe that, of the eBay links I posted previously, this would be the correct one?

However, referring to karl46's useful post, so far as I can see it isn't alloy ... and I believe those on my car are (at least, they don't react to a magnet, which seems to be the simplest test).

The only spare wheels matching these specifications (i.e. 195/55R15 + alloy) on eBay at the moment seem to be used - and not that cheap either (eg - this one)! Plus I would need to buy the 'lifting jack and wheel brace' as well ...

Given this, I wonder if it would be simplest to go for a 'space saver' - which presumably doesn't have to be alloy - and assume that I'd onlybe using it for a short time until I could get the genuine wheel repaired?

Very much appreciate your patience with a car-ignoramus! :smile:

If your wheel isn't alloy then it's steel with plastic wheel covers. But you don't sound sure, Can you not ask someone local to help you otherwise you may end up with something that isn't what you need. A photo would help now that we know the tyre size.  Someone could have just what you need or will point you in the right direction.

• Like 1

as standard Zetec and Titanium have alloy wheels, Studio and Style have steel wheels.

The alloy wheels are thick metal and silver coated.  the steel wheels are much thinner metal (but are stronger) and are painted black and have silver coloured plastic trims clipped on them to make them look nicer.

the advantage of a spare the same size as those on the car is that you don't have to worry about driving at a slower speed, If I was 200 motorway miles from home and had to put the spare on i would be a bit annoyed about the reduced safe speed to get home. If you have alloys on the car (pretty sure you do) and you want a spare of same size it does not need to be an alloy. it could be steel wheel. Obviously it won't match and look as good but it would not need to be driven more slowly. A matching alloy spare would be nice but it's going to cost more.

if you buy a 2nd hand alloy spare it might be bent. alloys bend easily compared  to steel wheels particulary on the back edge when the rim is not well supported by the spokes. they are easily damaged by potholes. By the time my 2007 fiesta zetec was 3 years old I had 3 alloy wheels distorted on the back edge. the MOT tester they were just passable, i could see the distortion when spinning them. 

• Like 1

On 09/03/2017 at 6:15 PM, karl46 said:

If your wheel isn't alloy then it's steel with plastic wheel covers. But you don't sound sure, Can you not ask someone local to help you otherwise you may end up with something that isn't what you need. A photo would help now that we know the tyre size.  Someone could have just what you need or will point you in the right direction.

Here you go! What do you reckon?

WP_20170309_002.jpg

On 09/03/2017 at 8:33 PM, isetta said:

as standard Zetec and Titanium have alloy wheels, Studio and Style have steel wheels.

The alloy wheels are thick metal and silver coated.  the steel wheels are much thinner metal (but are stronger) and are painted black and have silver coloured plastic trims clipped on them to make them look nicer.

the advantage of a spare the same size as those on the car is that you don't have to worry about driving at a slower speed, If I was 200 motorway miles from home and had to put the spare on i would be a bit annoyed about the reduced safe speed to get home. If you have alloys on the car (pretty sure you do) and you want a spare of same size it does not need to be an alloy. it could be steel wheel. Obviously it won't match and look as good but it would not need to be driven more slowly. A matching alloy spare would be nice but it's going to cost more.

if you buy a 2nd hand alloy spare it might be bent. Alloys bend easily compared  to steel wheels particulary on the back edge when the rim is not well supported by the spokes. they are easily damaged by potholes. By the time my 2007 fiesta zetec was 3 years old I had 3 alloy wheels distorted on the back edge. the MOT tester they were just passable, i could see the distortion when spinning them. 

Thanks for that, Isetta - very useful information! So this would be OK to go for, as a steel with 195/55R15 tyre?

So annoying that manufacturers seem to be phasing out full-size spares - I hadn't realised how lucky i was with the deceased Polo!

On 09/03/2017 at 0:59 PM, isetta said:

"It does indeed appear that newer Fiesta's may be coming with 15" spare wheels, perhaps this is a cost saving measure now the 14" wheeled models are discontinued (logic being its cheaper to increase the orders of 15" tyres than bring in 14" tyres just for spares now the Studio spec is gone, and would also use up any steel wheels left over from the Style trim)?"

I believe they are still doing 14" wheel Fiestas new. I believe all of the Econetic Diesels still have 175/65/14 even if Zetec and Titanium trim levels. The econetic is the higher mpg version and I believe one of the things which helps that (although must be marginal) is the smaller narrower tyres.

I forgot about the Econetic!  I wonder how many they sell given list is £2k more than the standard titanium (albeit with more equipment).

8 hours ago, Rose_UK said:

Here you go! What do you reckon?

WP_20170309_002.jpg

Alloy.  Specifically its the 5 x 2 design.  That wont really make a difference though for the spare - a wheel is a wheel and all that matters really is the size is within the specification for the car.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club