Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smoke while idle

Hellboy80

Hi all,

Mr paranoia is back with another possible issue

Just as a reminder car is a 1.8 TDCi 2006.

Tonight I noticed the car was leaving some smoke while I accelerated fast. I decided to get out and have a look. Using a torch facing upwards the exhaust while idling I might add I noticed some smoke or steam hard to tell at 8pm in the dark. I got the missus to give it a rev and it got a bit more thicker. but stopped as the revs went down. The temp gauge was showing just below 90c and my car was saying the temp outside was 9c it is dry.

Now I know my petrol used to steam while idling do Diesels do this to? My oil level has not dropped and neither has my coolant and it passed its MOT last week with emmisions passing as clean.

Any ideas please. Thinking of selling it and getting a petrol. But I like it and I don't want to get rid.

Help a paranoid car owner :(

48 minutes ago, Hellboy80 said:

I know my petrol used to steam while idling do Diesels do this to?

Both petrol & diesel are hydrocarbons, and both burn to produce carbon dioxide and water vapour, or steam.

In a Deisel, there is a lot of fresh air in the exhaust at idle which dilutes the steam, so it may not condense to make much visible mist (white smoke), but in cold dry conditions it is more likely to be visible. Also the exhaust system on a Diesel stays cooler, so the invisible steam can condense to visible "steam" or mist.

I have seen some whitish smoke from mine at times. If the coolant level is not dropping, and the fuel consumption is not rising, then I don't think there is anything to worry about.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tdci-Peter said:

Both petrol & diesel are hydrocarbons, and both burn to produce carbon dioxide and water vapour, or steam.

In a Deisel, there is a lot of fresh air in the exhaust at idle which dilutes the steam, so it may not condense to make much visible mist (white smoke), but in cold dry conditions it is more likely to be visible. Also the exhaust system on a Diesel stays cooler, so the invisible steam can condense to visible "steam" or mist.

I have seen some whitish smoke from mine at times. If the coolant level is not dropping, and the fuel consumption is not rising, then I don't think there is anything to worry about.

Could it be a dirty or faulty EGR?

2 minutes ago, Hellboy80 said:

Could it be a dirty or faulty EGR?

It is possible, I guess. If the EGR is sticking open. Though I suspect this would have shown up on MoT where they rev it right up, too much EGR would make it smoke.

The most common symptom of a faulty EGR is hesitation or uncertainty when pulling away, or when opening the throttle a little from closed. Or brief little unexpected power dips.

Might be worth trying a blanking plate. These cars do not seem to mind having the EGR blanked.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tdci-Peter said:

It is possible, I guess. If the EGR is sticking open. Though I suspect this would have shown up on MoT where they rev it right up, too much EGR would make it smoke.

The most common symptom of a faulty EGR is hesitation or uncertainty when pulling away, or when opening the throttle a little from closed. Or brief little unexpected power dips.

Might be worth trying a blanking plate. These cars do not seem to mind having the EGR blanked.

Just hope all is Ok. Regret getting a diesel now. The smoke on idle is just worrying me 

1 hour ago, Hellboy80 said:

(I'm) a paranoid car owner

.laugh.png

You may be worrying about nothing, just monitor the basics like fuel consumption, oil & coolant levels. And look into fitting a blanking plate maybe. Only a few quid for a good stainless steel one.

Oh, and if you get smoke on acceleration, check the air induction hoses from turbo, under the airbox, via intercooler, to the inlet manifold. They are prone to splits and leaks.

In the meantime, with fuel prices and road tax on the up, enjoy the combination of available power and economy that the 1.8TDCI gives, that no petrol engine can match.

Petrol engines have a similar range of hard to identify failures and some are rather expensive. Maybe a Diesel has some very expensive bits to go wrong, but it is still usually cheaper overall. At least the 1.8 has no DPF!

• Like 2

Little bit smoke is nothing mate compared to some faults on the focus.

mine smokes white in cold weather mostly n causes no issues just common as Peter says

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I couldn't replicate it today while it was idle. And it is warmer

I do about 50 miles a day for work with about 75% of it being on the M43. On the rare occasion I get up to 70 but mostly 60mph.

I reset the MPG today to see what it gave me going and returning from work and it was 52.8MPG with 25% on city roads.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club