Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cruise control install

Lindley1984

Hi , i have been looking at guides on this forum on how to add cruise control to car , i have a 2011 mk3 focus .

There is a detailed guide on how to do it but i was wondering if i could do it differently as such

My car already has voice activated phone switches on the right of the steeering wheel , and i was wondering if i could use this switch in its same place for cruise control and activate in the software , i know the pictures on the buttons won't match the function but the look similar to the cruise control switch .

Any help would be appreciated, i drive a lot for work and miss my cruise control and don't want to add another stalk on to do it

14889772050771708886435.jpg

i would say no, the switch may look the same but te switching positions may have different resistances therefore not recognise the command even if you wired it up correctly. just would be easier to just fit the correct switch and wiring

just checked the switches and cruise has 5 wire connector and radio switch has 4. so no is the answer

• Like 1

On Wed Mar 08 2017 at 6:10 PM, iantt said:

i would say no, the switch may loo9k the same but te switching positions may have different resistances therefore not recognise the command even if you wired it up correctly. just would be easier to just fit the correct switch and wiring

just checked the switches and cruise has 5 wire connector and radio switch has 4. so no is the answer

Ian

Do you think this would work , i have seen a new steering wheel on eBay with both switches either side for 300 , would it just be as simple as changing the wheels over and activating in software cheers

14891800143731350290948.jpg

yep, that will work fine once configured using foccuus software and elm327 adapter. £300 is a bit steep . i paid £65 for mine. i must have been lucky. ive got a spare steering wheel and switches. i must get them cut and fitted and stick on eBay for that price. lol

I really miss my cruise control , i sometimes do 1000 miles a week for work  and found it a god send , I'm just a bit scared doing it myself and mucking it up somehow . Have you added cruise control tour self ?

yep, bought wheel with it on, mine was a later focus so had to buy a link wire for it but that wheel you posted up is straight swap. tricky bit is getting the airbag off but a bit of patience and it comes off. see jw1982 thread about fitting cruise control.

Yeah thanks been looking at it all ready for past couple of weeks lol , i noticed someone else needed another wire when they bought a wheel with switch , are you sure i won't need another wire as mine is a 2011

nope, dont think you do. you will have the same green multiplug thats used for the radio buttons.

If your steering wheel looks like the one pictured it's just simple as getting one that's exactly the same but with cruise control buttons, the other wire is only required if you have the audio buttons on the right or left where your directional arrows are, but yours is the same wheel as my old one. It's not the easiest thing to do in the world and make sure you keep touching your door striker before and during the air bag removal process and again before you touch it to reinstall it (static)

Instead of getting a brand new wheel look at getting one from a breakers I did with mine and it's perfect condition.

• Like 1

so ive been on breakers yard , and had a couple of quotes from 30 to 100 , so I think I will get a 2nd hand one , I believe I need a connector to plug my car in to the laptop with and that it may need to be modified ,is there one that anybody recommends or if I can get one that has been modified .

Yes the connector you need is

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Modified-ELM327-USB-Ford-Elmconfig-Focccus-Forscan-Focus-Smax-Mondeo-Kuga-CMax-/162068198073?hash=item25bc0472b9:g:MtEAAOSw8vZXNEL1

And download the Focccus software 

http://img.jamessimpson.co.uk/2014/04/FoCCCus_0.5.1.zip

When you have both and have installed the wheel, simply connect up your car key pos 2, connect to vehicle through focccus find cruise control and enable, it's really easy. 

• Like 1

Ian i will give you 200 for your spare wheel and switches and u change wheel and do software 😁

you dont want much then, do i need to valet the inside afterwards too? lol

• Like 1

So i have managed to pick this up for 40 quid off breaker yard , do i need anything else or is it just straight swap cheers

14895037816261373704401.jpg

Straight swap then switch on in bcm using foccuus software and elm 327.

Once you've selected the cruise control option go further down the list and enable adjustable speed limiter to "With ASL" 

Cruise Control: "Cruise Control"

Adjustable Speed Limiter: "With ASL"

Make a backup of your ECU before going ahead with the process just in case anything goes wrong.

• Like 1

Does the foccuss software let you do a back up ? I've noever used it before. 

2 minutes ago, Lindley1984 said:

Does the foccuss software let you do a back up ? I've noever used it before. 

Yes in the corner will be an option that says save to file

• Like 1

Just one more question lol , in the guide he tells you to turn the wheel to get to some other screws , but just wondering if he's doing that with the battery still connected for the power steering , or turning wheel with no power steering ?

Well I've tried twice to release airbag and no luck , not sure if i came close to it lastnight, but gave up as i thought something was gonna break , called ford and they will change wheel for 100 so may take it there

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club