Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Should I Be Offended By This?

Turvey

I saw these for sale the other day, in Dunelm if anyone's interested, and my immediate thoughts were that they were in quite bad taste. If, for instance, I manufactured a product called The Herald Of Tea Enterprise, would that be OK? 

So, do I have a right to be offended or do I need to man-up? :smile:

IMG_20170307_114049042.jpg

• Like 1

I have a sinking feeling that you need to man up:ph34r:

• Like 4

It isn't something I would let get to me, but it is insensitive.  Would they make such a product about the Costa Concordia?  I think not.

Just because something happened over 100 years ago, it doesn't make the deaths any less meaningful.

• Like 1

Give it another 70 years and we probably will have Herald of Free Enterprise pun based items.

Same for Costa Concordia

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, stef123 said:

I have a sinking feeling that you need to man up:ph34r:

That's worse than my scone joke was! :smile:

20 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

It isn't something I would let get to me, but it is insensitive.  Would they make such a product about the Costa Concordia?  I think not.

Just because something happened over 100 years ago, it doesn't make the deaths any less meaningful.

That's kinda what I was trying to say. It doesn't REALLY bother me but it made me a bit uncomfortable. 

6 minutes ago, SeanW said:

Give it another 70 years and we probably will have Herald of Free Enterprise pun based items.

Same for Costa Concordia

I thought my 'Herald Of Tea Enterprise' was pretty clever, in an insensitive sort of way.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Turvey said:

That's kinda what I was trying to say. It doesn't REALLY bother me but it made me a bit uncomfortable.

Yep, uncomfortable is the word.

There are some severely bad taste things in the world.
Taking the p out of disasters is not clever in my books (and I have quite a 'gallows humour' outlook on life).

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

Just to go against the grain here but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. That might make me a bad person I don't know, it takes a lot to offend me. When I see this I just think of the mechanical sinking of the Titanic and not the lives lost and ruined.

There is a sketch about being offended that always makes me laugh...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Hahaha [emoji23]

I quite like the tea infuser, but more for the cleverness than what it is as such.  We have Titanic Tea in Belfast (and titanic chippies, titanic pubs, etc) - we are quite light hearted about the whole thing here now (she was fine when she left here you know).  Much more so than we would have been when I was younger, I suppose the time since the tragedy is a factor.  Mind you, we are doing quite well from the tourism now!

Product_Titanic.jpg

Neither product in the original post is in good taste tbh, but thats the world we live in!  People will buy anything!

• Like 1

My wife (from Belfast btw) always says that it took thousands of Irishmen to build the Titanic and one Englisman to sink her.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 5

6 hours ago, tarbyonline said:

I quite like the tea infuser, but more for the cleverness than what it is as such.  We have Titanic Tea in Belfast (and titanic chippies, titanic pubs, etc) - we are quite light hearted about the whole thing here now (she was fine when she left here you know).  Much more so than we would have been when I was younger, I suppose the time since the tragedy is a factor.  Mind you, we are doing quite well from the tourism now!

Product_Titanic.jpg

Neither product in the original post is in good taste tbh, but thats the world we live in!  People will buy anything!

I suppose the difference between the tea and the pubs etc and the tat I saw is, is that you are celebrating the building of the ship and of the shipyards in general whereas what I posted about is, in my opinion(for what it's worth) taking the p*ss out of the the sinking of the Titanic and the consequential deaths thereafter. If there were NO deaths I don't think it would really bother me :wink: 

• Like 1

On 09/03/2017 at 0:36 AM, Jonro2009 said:

Just to go against the grain here but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. That might make me a bad person I don't know, it takes a lot to offend me. When I see this I just think of the mechanical sinking of the Titanic and not the lives lost and ruined.

There is a sketch about being offended that always makes me laugh...

I'm offended when I see boy boybands!!! :lol1::laugh:

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Turvey said:

I suppose the difference between the tea and the pubs etc and the tat I saw is, is that you are celebrating the building of the ship and of the shipyards in general whereas what I posted about is, in my opinion(for what it's worth) taking the p*ss out of the the sinking of the Titanic and the consequential deaths thereafter. If there were NO deaths I don't think it would really bother me :wink: 

Exactly my opinion.  Very crass.

• Like 1

In a similar vein, I see the Daily Star is offering £1 day trips to France on P&O tomorrow.  Just days after the 30th anniversary of the Hearld of Free Enterprise disaster, a ship which was so full because of a similar promotion.  Coincidentally the operator of that ship became P&O ferries!

12 hours ago, Turvey said:

Agreed, though I suppose its a blurry line given that in all of these cases people are using the legacy of the disaster for financial gain.  

14 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

My wife (from Belfast btw) always says that it took thousands of Irishmen to build the Titanic and one Englisman to sink her.

Sent from my SM-G930F

HA!  Often hear that one as well.  Theres been a definite increase in the amount of merchandise/memorabilia associated with Titanic here in the past 10 years or so.  There was even a depiction of her being built in a funeral home I was in a few weeks ago!

I can't think of anywhere else in the world were people would be proud to have built a ship that sank on her maiden voyage!  Coincidentally I'll be leaving Belfast in a few hours to go to Titanic's home port of Liverpool (via Ireland and Wales).

13 hours ago, Turvey said:

And yet both the Titanic and Herald of Free Enterprise disasters have gone on to save a lot more lives than were lost!!

Titanic led to the introduction of SOLAS (Safety Of Lives At Sea) and the HFR saw more amendments to that. 

26 minutes ago, tarbyonline said:

Agreed, though I suppose its a blurry line given that in all of these cases people are using the legacy of the disaster for financial gain.  

Fair point.

16 minutes ago, SeanW said:

And yet both the Titanic and Herald of Free Enterprise disasters have gone on to save a lot more lives than were lost!!

Titanic led to the introduction of SOLAS (Safety Of Lives At Sea) and the HFR saw more amendments to that. 

I suppose every 'disaster' will make authorities aware of shortcomings in H&S etc which will help us all at later dates, whether we like the outcome or not ie longer queues at airport check-in etc  

Good old Aussie humour.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

Good old Aussie humour.

A celebration for the rescue team not the minors whom were trapped for three months 😁 they just want a shower and somthing to eat then back to work.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club