Sign in to follow this  
jmurray01

Spark Plug Gap?

Hi all,

Just a simple question of what should the spark plug gap be for a MK1 Focus 1.8 Zetec?

The Focus has started to feel sluggish, and although not misfiring, it is rougher than normal.  Having just passed 70,000 miles, it is overdue a change if the plugs are original, as I suspect they are. 

1.0 and a max of 1.2 I would say any more would add stress to the ignition.

36 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

1.0 and a max of 1.2 I would say any more would add stress to the ignition.

Perfect, they are Bosch plugs and are pre-gapped to 1.0mm, so I'll fit them as they are.  You are right about stressing the ignition system, and that is why I believe in changing spark plugs before you notice any loss in performance or misfiring, as by the time the engine starts misfiring you are probably looking at more than just new plugs. 

Same as brake discs, if you change the pads before they start grinding then the discs will last a long time, but leave it until the pads are completely worn out and you are looking at new discs also.

No probs and if they have not been changed in some time I would get a tool with leverage as a couple of mines were jammed in hard.