Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Possible power steering belt fault? How much should I be charged?

adzie123

Hey guys,

I think my cam belt on my fiesta is on its way out. Since October, if I turn on the car, the belt would make a hissing noise for about 5 minutes then the noise would disappear. I also found that spraying it with water seemed to shut it up too. 

Coming home from work today, at a low speed (I mean parking in a bay) If i turned the car either right or left, I would feel the steering shake? From the front of the car I can hear the belt (so i think) having to work harder. 

I think this is the cam belt causing the problem? According to google the timing belt is within the engine therefore it can't have been that.

How much would you reckon I should be looking at paying ?

Should also mention, this car was built in 2006 and has 90k miles on the clock. Hasn't had a belt changed ever...

It won't be the cam belt. most likely the auxillary belt that works the water pump, alternator and possibly the steering pump. A lot cheaper than the cam belt.

11 minutes ago, karl46 said:

It won't be the cam belt. most likely the auxillary belt that works the water pump, alternator and possibly the steering pump. A lot cheaper than the cam belt.

Exactly, but that said if it is on the original timing belt then it'll need that changed too as a preventative measure.

cam belt and timing belt are the same thing. it turns the cam shaft and keeps it timed in sync with the crankshaft.

are you confusing cam belt and fan belt?

auxillary belt which drives alternator is sometimes referred to as a fan belt by old people like me because on old cars it also drove the radiator fan before the fans changed to electric. they don't all drive the water pump. some have the water pump driven off the timing belt (eg. Fiesta 1.6tdci). 

What engine do you have? I believe all 2006 fiestas with power steering have the power steering pump driven by the fan belt, other than 1.6tdci which has an electric pump for the hydraulic fluid - some people reading this will think, what? are you sure? , but Yes, I had one (traditional hydraulic power steering rack with electric pump)

We don't know what engine you have 

Right so I just had a quick word with a mechanic.

He educated me into saying...that my fiesta has two belts alongside the timing belt (i think the timing belts the cam belt? ). Also his saying that the water pump may need changing too. All three belts changing and the water pump is approx £250 

Because his saying the belts are all together...the price is cheaper due to labour. 

@isetta Ford Fiesta MK6 1.25 duretec 3Door ... its the fiesta with the red dashboard

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club