Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK7 LED light strip / bulb for boot lighting

lwatson99

Got a 62 MK7 Fiesta, and like many people am frustrated by the boot light simply not being any use if I'm rummaging around trying to find something,

Ideally, I'd like a brighter bulb that just slots in however an LED strip would also work, however I'm only looking for a 'Plug and Play' solution, I'm no good with soldering wires or taking apart wiring looms! 

I've seen this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-car-boot-interior-engine-bay-lighting-kit-red-blue-green-orange-purple-white-/201476386311?#ht_1449wt_648 which is the kind of thing I'm looking for. 

Anyone have any experience using these / advice for a better type that makes it easier to install?

Cheers

Got a similar light set up in my boot! It's a long sticky backed light strip which is stuck to the black plastic below the latch, wire runs straight up to the OE boot light, ten minute job to fit, dead easy.

Got a similar light set up in my boot! It's a long sticky backed light strip which is stuck to the black plastic below the latch, wire runs straight up to the OE boot light, ten minute job to fit, dead easy.

Any pics or links
Yunii

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, yunii said:

Any pics or links

Just noticed a few LED's have gone but never mind, still works :tongue: Just twin wires with an inline fuse,  properly connected up to small useless OE light!

Very similar to these lights.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-1-2-3-5M-LED-Strip-Lights-for-Kitchen-Cupboard-TV-Adheisve-12Volt-Kit-/272519281124?var=&hash=item3f736a39e4:m:mA-KPUTqdxQpdtMpzOmps8w

Lights the boot up fantastic.

lights 002.JPG

lights 003.JPG

2 hours ago, Ian Lanc said:

Great to see someone else has done something similar. Don't suppose you could upload a photo of the wiring or anything? Want to know what I'm letting myself in to! Not overly technically minded when it comes to cars!

36 minutes ago, lwatson99 said:

Don't suppose you could upload a photo of the wiring or anything? Want to know what I'm letting myself in to! Not overly technically minded when it comes to cars!

Not got any photo's of the back of the OE light, but it's dead simple to do! There's only two wires on the LED strip, one is ground [black/negative] one is live [red/positive]

Cut the LED strip down to size and fix in a suitable position, always remember to cut any unwanted led's from the opposite side of the two wires,  ensuring the wires run off towards the OE light - Pull the carpet side wall away from the inside, look under the plastic parcel shelf support - remove the bulb holder & bulb - Fit the inline fuse to the red wire on the LED strip - attach the red wire to the live wire near the bulb connector, using a cable clamp. Attach the black wire of the LED strip to the negative wire near the bulb also using a cable clamp - refit the bulb and when the OE bulb lights up, so does the LED's..... Tape up the jointed wires and then hide the wires behind the carpet...... Job done.

Inline fuse & the blue cable connectors can be found in every car shop, even in Wilko's these days...lol

Cable clamps:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50X-Block-Lock-Wire-Electrical-Cable-Connector-Quick-Splice-Terminals-Crimp-Blue-/192046162514?hash=item2cb6d7e252:g:-ZYAAOSw9GhYgxhe

Inline fuse:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-Blade-Fuse-HOLDER-with-LID-SplashProof-INLINE-WaterProof-30A-6V-12V-24V-CAR/360561345584?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3Ddb88791a1ebe4065aca2322d1274ae35%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D282356704604

DEAD EASY :wink:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ian Lanc said:

Not got any photo's of the back of the OE light, but it's dead simple to do! There's only two wires on the LED strip, one is ground [black/negative] one is live [red/positive]

Cut the LED strip down to size and fix in a suitable position, always remember to cut any unwanted led's from the opposite side of the two wires,  ensuring the wires run off towards the OE light - Pull the carpet side wall away from the inside, look under the plastic parcel shelf support - remove the bulb holder & bulb - Fit the inline fuse to the red wire on the LED strip - attach the red wire to the live wire near the bulb connector, using a cable clamp. Attach the black wire of the LED strip to the negative wire near the bulb also using a cable clamp - refit the bulb and when the OE bulb lights up, so does the LED's..... Tape up the jointed wires and then hide the wires behind the carpet...... Job done.

Thanks for that!

I'll give it a try over the weekend

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club