Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus MK1.5 - Speedo Issue

Dagger

Hi

Now and again the speedo drops to the bottom, then picks back up after about 30sec's

I assume it will have to do with the cable at the back of the dash that connects to the speedometer ???

Or could it be something else

Thanks

• Like 1

On your year there is no speedo cable its in the wiring.

and what you said about it dropping now and then it could be a faulty speed sensor witch is on the outside

of the gear box at the back .there should be a wiring plug on the  back of the gear box that go to it. Best to google it so

you will no what it looks like. If its not that it could be a faulty cluster I think there was some problems with them on the mk 1 and 1.5 models.

• Like 2

there definitely was a common problem with the cluster on mk1.5  but i thought it was the whole cluster would go dead now and then, not just speedo needle. but I guess if they had some manufacturing defect in them it could manifest itself in many different way. i think it was down to solder joints but I could be wrong.

Over the years I have done a lot of work fixing computers that don't work and they have a lot of problems due to brittle solder. I think it is largely down to regulations on stopping the use of lead in solder when used commercially (you can still use leaded solder for home use type stuff). Solder without lead in it is just not as good. It needs higher temperatures  to use it and is more brittle so you can have cracks in it that cause intermittent problems 

• Like 1

I had this issue on my old MK1.5. Never got it fixed but from what I can gather from what my mechanic told me back then its the speed sensor, and its a very common problem.

You'll also find that if it can cause your car to stall when you push the clutch in to change gear if it happens at speed.. mine did the numerous times it did it!

• Like 1

Had this problem on our old Mk1.5 too. Both speed sensor and cluster were changed under warranty but didn't fix it. It was eventually found to be the VSS cable chafing on the gearchange linkage.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club