Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lots of little white scratches!

qu1mper

Just got my panther black zetec washed at the weekend and noticed lots of little white scratches on the driver's side wheel arch going towards the door. No idea how they got there, definitely haven't hit anything.

Anyone any tips how to get rid of them? Will normal polish work, or t cut? Would black t cut match the panther black?

Just got my panther black zetec washed at the weekend and noticed lots of little white scratches on the driver's side wheel arch going towards the door. No idea how they got there, definitely haven't hit anything.

Anyone any tips how to get rid of them? Will normal polish work, or t cut? Would black t cut match the panther black?

It's possible by hand using cutting compound but it will kill you and boredom will come very quickly. A polishing machine is what's needed and I don't mean those £30 jobs at Halfords either, a proper random orbital or a fixed orbital.

I would never use the colour matched polishes, they are rubbish. What you need is a quality cutting compound and a machine to do it or get someone to do it for you.

Check this thread out, should be some useful info in there.

I am just VERY worried by the wording that he took a nice new car through a car wash :o

that be probably where the scratches came from!!

Get some piccys up....see how bad....I totaly agree with a good machine polisher and cutting compound but if you don't know what your doing you can make it worse.

And its a lot of expense (me best bud just bought one off his company {he's a bodywork tech} and it cost him 200quid, second hand!) if just a bottle of whatever make preferred of polish would get it out in 15min with some elbow grease!!

Piggy :)

If you don't want scratches, then wash it yourself. And if you don't want swirl marks, then don't use a chamois leather to dry it. Use thick microfibre towels instead.

Meguiars Scratch X 2.0 is a good product for removing scratches, or so I've read anyway. I have yet to try it, but its meant to be very good.

I use this site for cleaning products:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/

You can get a decent Random Orbital polisher for around £100 these days and you aint gonna do any damage unless you are stupid with it. It'd cost you that to get someone else to do it for you and it's yours to polish with forever. Well worth a purchase.

You can get a decent Random Orbital polisher for around £100 these days and you aint gonna do any damage unless you are stupid with it. It'd cost you that to get someone else to do it for you and it's yours to polish with forever. Well worth a purchase.

Plus 30quid for the polish!!

If like anyone else here he hasn't got 100notes hanging about doing nothing...then a tenner for some simple polish and couple cloths may have to do him!!!

Its easier than ya think on a edge of bodywork with good cutting compound to go bit deep...don't take much....they don't train the proffesionals for 3 years for nout!!

If like anyone else here he hasn't got 100notes hanging about doing nothing...then a tenner for some simple polish and couple cloths may have to do him!!!

Its easier than ya think on a edge of bodywork with good cutting compound to go bit deep...don't take much....they don't train the proffesionals for 3 years for nout!!

I agree, I wouldn't jump straight in with a polisher. I am getting one for my Christmas and am going to the scrappys this week to get a panel to do plenty of practising on.

You will get good adequate results by hand :)

I am just VERY worried by the wording that he took a nice new car through a car wash :o

that be probably where the scratches came from!!

Get some piccys up....see how bad....I totaly agree with a good machine polisher and cutting compound but if you don't know what your doing you can make it worse.

And its a lot of expense (me best bud just bought one off his company {he's a bodywork tech} and it cost him 200quid, second hand!) if just a bottle of whatever make preferred of polish would get it out in 15min with some elbow grease!!

Piggy :)

I didn't take it through a car wash. I got it washed by hand. I only noticed the marks when it was washed because it was dirty before.

Would polish not work at all?

I see Halfords do touch ups, anyone used them before, or know how much they charge?

have you not just read all the replies?!?!?!

yes, some polish will do the trick, so long as its not too deep.

Expect to pay 10-15quid for some polish and cloths and spend min 30 minutes and elbow grease!!

Piggy - there's a lot of info here, enough to cause confusion - cut some slack please.

We'd need to see pictures of the scratches to tell you the best way of removing them. Yes, you may be able to do it by hand, but more than likely not.

There is more than one type of machine polisher - dual action and rotary are the most common. The chances of you doing any damage with a DA are quite small, larger with a rotary. You are just as likely to do damage with the wrong products and elbow grease...

Three years training on how to machine polish? Eh? I learned from a professional detailer in an afternoon - it's not rocket science.

I don't have any experience of the Halfords service - however, it will depend a lot on the experience and knowledge of the member of staff you get. Some know very little about anything, some are good in certain areas, and a few are expert in specific areas.

It was just the same question that we started with...dejavu going on here....

Takes three years to train to become a bodywork tech...fair play not all that is polishing...but they aint proffesionals for nout...

....hey, people don't want me advice...will keep it to meself.

It was just the same question that we started with...dejavu going on here....

Takes three years to train to become a bodywork tech...fair play not all that is polishing...but they aint proffesionals for nout...

....hey, people don't want me advice...will keep it to meself.

Keep the toys in the pram - just because someone doesn't agree with something you post doesn't mean your advice is invalid or not wanted.

Yes - three years training to become a bodywork tech sounds more like it, I would imagine a week of that is how to use a machine polisher :lol:

Keep the toys in the pram - just because someone doesn't agree with something you post doesn't mean your advice is invalid or not wanted.

Yes - three years training to become a bodywork tech sounds more like it, I would imagine a week of that is how to use a machine polisher :lol:

I'm not...I'm ill, !Removed! cold and got no ruddy snow to show for it!! :lol:

yeah, but to be bruttaly honest...your average joe shouldnt just give it a go on a arch!!

The other poster bout getting a scrap panel to practice got the right idea...but then its different for everycar due to the depth of paint on each different car...which is tested by the big boys before they select the right compound polish and polisher and how to go about it.....

And its like anything...any guy can undo a bolt with a spanner...'takes 5min to learn that' but I bet I can undo one faster, undo one tighter, and more awkward than any of ya'll...and without rounding it off....just coz of the amount I done it and mistakes made and learnt...don't wana be making polishing mistakes on his nice black car when a bit of polish and elbow grease which is desgined for the DIY Joe Bloggs, may do it!!

:)

PS you a stafford boy aswell?? :)

Ooops, sorry piggy - I hit edit instead of quote :lol::lol:

Aye - just outside Tamworth, although I'm a Lincolnshire lad really.

Yes, different cars have different paint (hence why I have a paint gauge...) but those 'big boys' are probably working on fussy paints such as those by Bentley, Ferrari and the like. On your Fiesta, I say grab the DA and have a go. I got massive scratches out of my bumper just a few weeks ago - result is excellent, and I'd never done it before.

I did a load of reading, attended a machine polishing tutorial, purchased the right kit and went for it.

Anyway, can we see pics of the scratches please, at the moment this is all 'how long is a piece of string'.

Thirty quid?

You can get a bottle of Menzerna IP delivered for £12 and that gets marks and scratches out of BMW paint which is notoriously hard. It's also good enough for final finish and will do many cars before he needs more.

You would have to be a complete and utter fool to go through the paint with a DA polsisher such as a Porter Cable. A rotary polisher yes, that's what most of the pros use, but a dual action is the perfect kit for a beginner. I never practiced with mine and in the 5 years or so I've had it I've never been close to doing any damage.

He has scratches and wants to get rid of them.

I gave him an alternative to that may get rid of them (can't tell unless we see pictures) and any more for the future at a cost of well under £150.

Another option would be to have the panel resprayed, probably more than £100 or get a pro to do it, again, not much change out of a ton.

If the marks are bad, like I said earlier, it will take ages doing it by hand if he ever manages it.

I know...and I DO agree with all you say...my best friend is one of the pros we are talking about, so I get it in the ear all the time...but if he anything like me...

This time of year...I got time...but no money! :lol:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club