Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 remapped! 1.6 TDCI (115ps)

Ryan_Tango

So bit the bullet last month placed the deposit and went and got my car remapped just yersterday, car was standard running 115bhp, 270nm (On the dyno, before), and now 150bhp, 350nm (on the dyno) 

It's a very well known fact that 1st gear is rubbish but it's done like that to protect the gearbox and all the other components, so with this in mind I had asked to increase the power in first gear enough just to be safer when pulling out and some roundabouts and junctions, which he did for me and it's much better.

It was a 55 mile drive from my house and I was getting 48.6 MPG on a mix of 30mph and 70mph, on my way back 51 MPG with me booting it :whistling1:

Gear overview.

1st - Enough power for pulling away safely

2nd - The wheels spin if I give it the full throttle 

3rd - Absolute beast of a pull up to about 50mph

4th - If changing from 3rd at 50mph it just keeps pulling to 80mph and very quick! Normal changing it still pulls just not hard.

5th - excellent cruiser with the power ready to do a easy overtake, great to shift down into on motorway to do a fast overtake

6th - exactly what it should be has a bit more pull but tuner said it won't have it max power until I get the car to 90mph but i'll save that for the track.

I was given the option of having the DPF removed but decided not to due to DPF laws changing this year.

Insurance cost: I'm with Admiral and had an issue with the power increase at first but after bouncing some emails around at them I had £60 added to my premium which is great.

All I need to do now is be mindful of the clutch, when the day comes for it to be replaced I will be buying an uprated clutch. But will have many miles left of happy motoring. Car is on 53k miles at the moment.

Is it worth it? Oh yes!

• Like 3

Running the same HP and almost the same torque (340 from my Spider arachnid on the same engine. Been on there for 30K miles now and no issues at all from the clutch

I like that yours opens up 1st gear (still an issue on mine, but used to it), but yes, I can spin up to 3rd and motorway overtaking is a breeze. Like that I can remove mine in 5 mins and I can change the levels on the fly

Is that the 1.6tdci? That's an impressive increase in power.  I wish my car could remap as good ha.  I would imagine the 6 speed gear box in the mk3 helps in adding power to the car.  The 5 speed gear box in the mk2/mk2.5 is kinda weak.  

Wouln't know, never use 5th, always go 4-6 direct, so effectively the same as the 5 speed

1st is useless as the ECU is mapped to not allow full power while your in first, so you learn to go to 2nd the moment the car is moving, and with the chip the gear ratios are too close. Would have been better if it was just a 4 speed, or had a larger spread

I have been told that the gear box  in the 1.6tdci mk2/mk2.5 is rated at only 280nm and adding more torque could cause damage to it.  

4 hours ago, Ryan_Tango said:

So bit the bullet last month placed the deposit and went and got my car remapped just yersterday, car was standard running 115bhp, 270nm (On the dyno, before), and now 150bhp, 350nm (on the dyno) 

It's a very well known fact that 1st gear is rubbish but it's done like that to protect the gearbox and all the other components, so with this in mind I had asked to increase the power in first gear enough just to be safer when pulling out and some roundabouts and junctions, which he did for me and it's much better.

It was a 55 mile drive from my house and I was getting 48.6 MPG on a mix of 30mph and 70mph, on my way back 51 MPG with me booting it :whistling1:

Gear overview.

4th - If changing from 3rd at 50mph it just keeps pulling to 80mph and very quick! Normal changing it still pulls just not hard.

5th - excellent cruiser with the power ready to do a easy overtake, great to shift down into on motorway to do a fast overtake

6th - exactly what it should be has a bit more pull but tuner said it won't have it max power until I get the car to 90mph but i'll save that for the track.

I was given the option of having the DPF removed but decided not to due to DPF laws changing this year.

Insurance cost: I'm with Admiral and had an issue with the power increase at first but after bouncing some emails around at them I had £60 added to my premium which is great.

All I need to do now is be mindful of the clutch, when the day comes for it to be replaced I will be buying an uprated clutch. But will have many miles left of happy motoring. Car is on 53k miles at the moment.

Is it worth it? Oh yes!

how much did it cost to get it remapped and how long did it take to do ?

4 hours ago, Ryan_Tango said:

Gear overview.

Is it worth it? Oh yes!

1 hour ago, James said:

I have been told that the gear box  in the 1.6tdci mk2/mk2.5 is rated at only 280nm and adding more torque could cause damage to it.  

that's the MTX75, the 5 gear box on the Mk2.5 - 280Nm is the design spec, not sure about the Mk3 box and what it uses.  

150BHP on the 1.6 TDCI is interesting, on the older 1.6 on the Mk2.5 you would expect little more than 140, beyond that required BMW injectors, some complete nutter was cranking it up to 200, having the pots bored out, custom clutch and all sorts. it think it exploded or something equally horrible, dont remember seeing a "finished" post lol

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, andypsp said:

£250 and about 4 hours

26 minutes ago, Dee_82 said:

that's the MTX75, the 5 gear box on the Mk2.5 - 280Nm is the design spec, not sure about the Mk3 box and what it uses.  

150BHP on the 1.6 TDCI is interesting, on the older 1.6 on the Mk2.5 you would expect little more than 140, beyond that required BMW injectors, some complete nutter was cranking it up to 200, having the pots bored out, custom clutch and all sorts. it think it exploded or something equally horrible, dont remember seeing a "finished" post lol

I will likely never be pushing the full power of the car but have done the past 2 days just to get a feel, I've just done a 100 mile normal drive returning 65mpg no need to ruin the gearbox by just slamming it everywhere.

• Like 1

£250 and 5 mins to fit, about 50 miles for the chip to learn the fuelling for my car 

I've been running at level 5 of the 6 levels (one down from Race) for 25K miles without a single issue. Race is too aggressive for normal road use

I can get 70mpg motorway cruising and 700 to a tank on setting 1 (Ecco)

On fast road 4 (where I leave it normally) which is amazing, I get around 48mpg having fun around town and just under 60 mpg on motorway cruises

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/03/2017 at 9:13 PM, madmole said:

£250 and 5 mins to fit, about 50 miles for the chip to learn the fuelling for my car 

I've been running at level 5 of the 6 levels (one down from Race) for 25K miles without a single issue. Race is too aggressive for normal road use

I can get 70mpg motorway cruising and 700 to a tank on setting 1 (Ecco)

On fast road 4 (where I leave it normally) which is amazing, I get around 48mpg having fun around town and just under 60 mpg on motorway cruises

What did you get fitted to allow you to change settings and whereabouts did you have it done?

I've been looking at ECU remaps (I have the exact same car at 60k miles) celtic tuning seem to be slightly better than superchips (and cheaper) but they still quoted near to £400 so If I can get it done for £250 I'm definitely interested!

Spider Arachnid. you fit it yourself. its a dynamic remap, maps itself and learns, rather than a fixed map

• 2 months later...
On 10/03/2017 at 4:37 PM, Ryan_Tango said:

£250 and about 4 hours

sorry to revive an old topic. I wondered where you got the remap done. is it still going strong? have you come across any issues?

I am interested in this too, that's a good price for a custom remap. 

I know Stephen really swears by the arachnids but I think I'd prefer a proper ecu remap. Not sure why...

19 hours ago, patricbose said:

sorry to revive an old topic. I wondered where you got the remap done. is it still going strong? have you come across any issues?

Still going strong still having fun planting my foot the floor, not had any issues still smooth power delivery. Got the remap at West Yorkshire Tuning in Bradford 

16 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

I am interested in this too, that's a good price for a custom remap. 

I know Stephen really swears by the arachnids but I think I'd prefer a proper ecu remap. Not sure why...

I wasn't sure about the spider boxes but I know Stephen says they're really good but I really wanted my first gear to actually work properly as it was getting dangerous being stuck at roundabouts.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/04/2017 at 6:35 PM, madmole said:

Spider Arachnid. you fit it yourself. its a dynamic remap, maps itself and learns, rather than a fixed map

Where did you buy yours from, I've found it for £450

http://www.dieseltuning.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=163_203_204_230&product_id=455

Thats a fixed map, generic one size fits all engines map on a chip. The spider chip actually retunes on the fly and builds a curve to fit your car, with your air filter/exhaust combo and can relearn if you change anything. Plus the spider has multiple profiles that you can change on the fly (Off, Eco, 4 road settings and race). Spider also guarantees not to take any parameter outside the Ford specified figures so is safe

The more I read your posts about these spiders, the more I'm getting tempted :unsure:

On 7/20/2017 at 0:42 PM, madmole said:

Thats a fixed map, generic one size fits all engines map on a chip. The spider chip actually retunes on the fly and builds a curve to fit your car, with your air filter/exhaust combo and can relearn if you change anything. Plus the spider has multiple profiles that you can change on the fly (Off, Eco, 4 road settings and race). Spider also guarantees not to take any parameter outside the Ford specified figures so is safe

Retuning of the map is good if you need it, but I wouldnt be changing anything on the car, I don't see the point its only a small diesel.A bit of extra power is all i would be after which the one I posted is well capable of. Also a race mode on a 1.6 TDCI......lol

You may not change anything, but the air filter will get dirty, the DPF block etc and the engine wears over time. A fixed map will not be optimal over time

Call it Race mode or Fast Road 5, just a tune thats all performance and no economy. All the other settings produce better MPG than standard and are dynamic, i.e. they vary based on your driving style

1 hour ago, madmole said:

You may not change anything, but the air filter will get dirty, the DPF block etc and the engine wears over time. A fixed map will not be optimal over time

Call it Race mode or Fast Road 5, just a tune thats all performance and no economy. All the other settings produce better MPG than standard and are dynamic, i.e. they vary based on your driving style

I see what you're saying but a fixed map will more than be good enough to deliver extra power and gains at an affordable price, which is what I'm after.. If you are BHP chasing and want to squeeze every bit of power you can and have further modifications to add then I agree your unit is the best choice.

I've only ever had bad experiences with tuning boxes... personally I'd steer clear, and get a proper custom map on a dyno, or at minimum someone like superchips or mountune generic maps.

i know tuning boxes have probably come on a long way recently, but having had ones that are basically a box of cheap resistors, to quite advanced ones that apparently monitor all sorts of stuff, they all ended blowing up high pressure fuel pumps.

just my 2p, but I'd be interested to know more about these spider boxes if they are indeed as advanced as they say

Details are all here

http://www.dieseltuning.co.uk/arachnid-chiptuning.html

Spider won't damage your car as it never takes any parameter outside the Ford specified ones which can't be said for a single map. They are an order of magnitude different from a resistor in a box tuning chip

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club