Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake caliper bolts missing after MOT

austers

So about 3 weeks ago I had my car MOT'd with Ford and about 1 week ago my car started to make a right clunk when I drove over any bumps near the drivers side front wheel, it started getting worse and worse until today it was nearly constant and really loud so I took my Dad for a drive and he said it sounded like the wheel was about to fall off. So he jacks up my car and takes the drivers side front wheel off and the brake disc is wobbling about, then he notices the brake caliper bolts are missing. Surely this is an MOT failure anyway. My Dad puts some bolts in and sure enough the clunking has stopped. I plan on letting Ford know on Monday but has anybody got advice on what I should say?

The brake disk 'wobbling about' is ok because it is held 'tight' by the wheel against the hub but the missing brake caliper bolt is a worry. I wouldn't be mincing my words when you let them know on Monday because I dread to think what could have happened had the other bolt sheared off/came loose and fell off!

1 hour ago, Russ said:

The brake disk 'wobbling about' is ok because it is held 'tight' by the wheel against the hub but the missing brake caliper bolt is a worry. I wouldn't be mincing my words when you let them know on Monday because I dread to think what could have happened had the other bolt sheared off/came loose and fell off!

Oh, no both bolts were missing, there was nothing holding it together

4 minutes ago, austers said:

Oh, no both bolts were missing, there was nothing holding it together

Jesus! How the caliper didn't fly off i don't know. I'd be pointing out had it not been for your dad & his quick thinking you could have been killed when you applied the brakes and had they failed!!! I'd be expecting some form of compensation at the least for their gross incompetence! I'd also be contacting Ford head office about it. (You said it was a Ford garage that did the MOT) I'm also assuming you had some work done around the wheel otherwise you might have trouble blaming them for it?

Was it only in for an MOT? as I'd find it difficult to blame the mot tester given they do not remove anything on an mot. 

• Like 1

Well I've never had any work done for the brakes and there is fresh rust marks where bolts have been removed and it's a bit of a coincidence that the knocking started happened so soon after the MOT. I don't know why anybody would remove the bolts either

It was an MOT and a service if that makes any difference, surely somebody should've picked it up though

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club