Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Economy!

redrabbit

Firstly, to make it clear, I don't really care about the MPG as I didn't buy my car for that but I am curious.

I know that cars advertising XXmpg isusually way way off.  However my 2 year old Focus 1.0 Ecoboost is surprising.  

The speedometer is showing an verage of 40mpg.  That is doing 90% motorway miles around 60-75mph.  I rarely accelerate hard or fast, and generally get it to around 72-75mph and then put in cruise control and let it go in 6th gear for the miles towards home. 

Tbh, my old focus - which was 15 years old, 1.8l petrol is about the same economy and I used to rag that.  

Like I said, I'm that bothered but more curious as I've never had a car that shows the MPG and it's juts something that got my attention

the only way to be sure what it actually does on mpg is to top the tank right up. note the mileage. drive until almost empty. top the tank right up to see how make gallons you had to put back in and calculate mpg.  my fiesta diesel shows about 61 mpg on the dashboard, when calculating from how much fuel I put in is 58mpg. (official combined advertised is 88)

Those Ecoboost engines are utter *****. Whilst my car was in, I was given a brand spanking new 1.0 ecoboost Focus with way under 100 miles on the clock. The only way I could keep it above 40mpg was to drive like a granny - or very much how you would drive in snow/slippy conditions. Unless you nanny those things there's no way in hell they're even close to economical. I was glad to get my environment-killing tax-dodging dirty diesel back which sits at 45mpg with me not even thinking about it.

Might be something wrong with your car. MAF, fuel flow sensor, low tyre pressures, worn air filter, deteriorating spark plugs, could be anything really.

Even I managed to get almost 48 MPG yesterday in my slushbox 1.6 petrol auto, which is largely an ancient carry-over engine from the Mk1 Focus.

Yeah them ecoboost engines are only economical if ya drive like a Granny.  Driving normally less  than 40 mpg is more realistic.  Those who say they are getting more are trusting the trip computer to much.  Still my next car may have an ecoboost engine as even the 1 litre ecoboost remaps very well.  

You need to remember this an average calculation based on the actual MPG figures collected by the car, and therefore only a reference and will become more inaccurate as time goes by.

i drive like a granny sometimes and get 58mpg real figures and 63mpg showing on trip computer.but as others said dont expect more than mid 40's normal driving.in town driving its not good , had a job not long back in other end of town  and was getting 38mpg