Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Braking problems, ABS light on after new rear brakes fitted

dannyblue11

Hi, 

I am having a bit of a frustrating time regarding my brakes. 

I was driving, heard a loud grinding noise, went to brake and the pedal went all the way to the floor and the brakes wouldn't work. Thankfully I managed to get home safely. Once home I inspected the rear brakes and found the drums and shoes to be worn out as well as a damaged bearing in one of the drums.  The pins, clips, the springs and adjuster were dirty but don't appear to be damaged. 

I then went on to replace both drums, both sets of shoes and both rear wheel cylinders. 

But I now have another problem, the ABS light is now on and the handbrake will not work. I then took one of the back brakes apart so I could adjust it and now I can't get the handbrake cable in the brake because the spring will not pull back. 

So overall a bit frustrated and seriously considering calling out a mechanic to help as a last resort. 

I have not yet inspected the front brakes. Which I know would have been the sensible thing to do. 

Any suggestions and help would be much appreciated. 

The ABS light will probably need to be reset to get rid of it I suspect . I had the same problem on my old MK1 Focus probably very similar to yours Also before you do all this undo  a good bit the handbrake adjuster by the handbrake itself inside the car(just underneath the leaver(if that's where it is on yours) else you may never get the cable on at the brakes as it will probably be to short .I found that to get the handbrake cable on was to partly assemble the break shoes and springs plus the adjuster assy  with the hand brake cable fitted on to the shoe and fit them from the bottom hinge pate up and then prise the whole lot over the piston assy  . Difficult to explain unfortunately it was in my case keep trying till it went on and if I remember right it was a bit of a pain to do.. As for the handbrake mine didn't work afterwards so I adjusted the adjuster until it was very difficult to fit the drum and then when fitted pulled the handbrake on while someone else listened at the drum to make sure the adjuster clicked in adjustment. When the drum is on I'm not sure now as I forget but there may be a little hole at the back (maybe covered with a rubber bung) that you may be able to get a screwdriver in and then adjust the adjuster you may not have this.The font brakes are a lot easier  to do but I think you will need a big 17mm Allen key or allen socket to undo the cradle.Not easy to explaine but hope this helps.

re the ABS light. I don't know if this is possible or ever happens. If the bearing was knackered and the hub flopping about could the ABS sensor have been hit / damaged

Sounds to me like whoever fitted your rear wheel bearing damaged or forgot to put the abs reluctor ring back on after fitting the bearing!

fiesta abs ring.pdf

On 12/03/2017 at 5:04 PM, isetta said:

re the ABS light. I don't know if this is possible or ever happens. If the bearing was knackered and the hub flopping about could the ABS sensor have been hit / damaged

UPDATE: 

Turns out the old drums still had the ABS rings on them, So I took them of and put them on the new drums, ABS light no longer on. 

Also I adjusted the the shoes ect.. and the handbrake now works. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club