Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FOCUS ESTATE 2005 keep or replace

rmalias

Hello, I am a newbie and wondered if I could please get some help.

My wife and I have had 2 Ford Focus estates over the last 10 years and really like them (one for 5 years and then sold and bought the current one which we have also had for 5 years). We currently have a 2005 (but I think 2004 shape) which we bought 5 years ago for £3000. This has just had an MOT and needs some work: 2 new front brake hoses, one new front brake calliper, rusting on drivers side sill(??cill) needs 3 holes welding. Plus the tyres passed but are near the limit.

However, we have looked after it well over the years and did get a new timing belt and water pump belt (?). And have had it regularly serviced. Usually by a ford main dealer.

It is showing signs of rust. It was built in Spain in 2005.

We are both redundant and over 60 so we don't have a great deal of money.

Should we have it repaired? Or should we go for a newer second hand model? If so how much newer? 

If we have a repair then the welded patches will show near the wheel arch.

If we buy newer what should we go for. We can get a loan at about 3%. Should we go for the 2008-11 model estate. Or the newer 2012 model? Which engine and gearbox is most reliable. We want petrol manual.

I have seen a 2007 in a non Ford car dealer at £2400 (96000 miles). And again at a non ford dealer a 2011 at £5000 (50000 miles) - I think the pre 2012 model. It seems our car is worth more or less nothing in part exchange. We may get £200.

Any comments/ help/ advice ?

Thanks very much

That's a real shame brake hoses are not expensive calipers are about £130 for new, £50ish second hand, as far as welding goes it depends on the size but in my expierience instead of looking for a automotive welder you could look for an engineering firm as they tend to be much cheaper and do the same job, my grandad does this when his car needs welding. You can get the panel colour matched where the welds are easy enough to do yourself with a kit for about £30 all in. £80 to get a shop to do it so still not bad.

It all comes down to budget 2008-2011 will be fine and will likely serve you very well for a long time, a 2012 model will cost more but are better fuel economy and not to mention newer so will cost less for the first 3 maybe 4 years of ownership.

As far as engine reliability goes they all seem pretty solid, in 2012 models I'd say if you're not bothered about power 1.6 naturally aspirated (Non-Turbo) but if you want more power 1.0 Ecoboost but will cost a lot more to buy usually.

Hang in there as other members on this forum should be able to give you much more detailed information. 

• Like 1

Many thanks Ryan-Tango

Very kind of you to help us.

I was worried about reliability of the newer engines? Would the 1.6 naturally aspirated by more reliable than the smaller turbo engines?

Also, not quite sure on the model changes. A 2011 model estate? Will that be before or after the new engines?

Thanks again

10 minutes ago, rmalias said:

Many thanks Ryan-Tango

Very kind of you to help us.

I was worried about reliability of the newer engines? Would the 1.6 naturally aspirated by more reliable than the smaller turbo engines?

Also, not quite sure on the model changes. A 2011 model estate? Will that be before or after the new engines?

Thanks again

2011 models will have the newer ecoboost engines as well as the old 1.6 Naturally Aspirated, from what I can gather the 1.6 has less problems but on a larger scale the 1.0 is still not bad or unreliable by any means. The 1.0 has £30 road tax opposed to £130 on the 1.6, personally I'd choose the 1.0 Ecoboost as I'm assuming you won't be hammering it everywhere as that seems to be when problems come up for a few people.

• Like 1

That's true we don't hammer cars. But perhaps the previous owner has? In which case presumably they could be a problem?

I should add that I know nothing about modern car engines. The last time I did any work on an engine was in 1976 on a Suzuki 250! :)

WARRANTY. If we do buy a car with a loan we would be stuck if it had a major fault. Are there any good warranties that can be bought to cover major faults like a gearbox going or cam belt breaking and wrecking the engine?

3 minutes ago, rmalias said:

That's true we don't hammer cars. But perhaps the previous owner has? In which case presumably they could be a problem?

I should add that I know nothing about modern car engines. The last time I did any work on an engine was in 1976 on a Suzuki 250! :)

I think as long as the car gets looked after in new ownership you will have trouble free motoring. It's a great car with an amazing engine take one for a test drive when you're going to buy, try both the 1.0 and 1.6 no matter which you get I have a feeling you won't be disappointed. 

1 minute ago, rmalias said:

WARRANTY. If we do buy a car with a loan we would be stuck if it had a major fault. Are there any good warranties that can be bought to cover major faults like a gearbox going or cam belt breaking and wrecking the engine?

Most dealers offer extended warranty's it's worth asking them about it sadly I don't know much on this matter.

would i get more by p/ex or by selling to breaker or selling private with a list of faults?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club