Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Insurance Rant!

jeebowhite

OK, so, I hate car insurance. This "incase stuff happens" policy is most the time necessary, but, there are times when it takes the biscuit.

I am looking at a 7 seater, probably used for less than 3 weeks a year.... Because overall, the cost of buying the car outright, is cheaper than renting the car for a week. So the next issue is car insurance....

If the car was in someone else name, and insured, my insurer would allow me to drive it (Adrian Flux), however, if I want to add a car to my policy I was quoted around £800 for the use of a car which would be less than one month and 1000 miles a year?!? HOW?!?!  I fail to understand how a car, which I care not if its written off, heck, I would probably let them keep the money, but if I buy a cheap car, and want to use it so little, it can cost more than the car I have modified and drive 900 times more frequently minimum than a second car.

Then we get to "short term insurance".... £37 per day or £99 for a week. I mean, really? £99 to drive an old banger down the road, for the odd occasion its needed!

Car tax is fine, because I could probably store it off road through the rest of the year, so just pay for the time its on the road.

I just dont understand why insurance has to be so dang expensive.

For that reason, if anyone in the kent area wants to club together and buy a pool car, we can split the bills and drive it whenever its needed, alternatively, if anyone has a 7 seater thats insured and not in use for a week in say April and would be willing to rent it out... let me know!

• Like 1

thats ridiculous my insurance is coming up in a couple months so im looking around for the exact same info with the exeption of NCB and years driving its an extra £100 iv not got an renewal quote as its up in june but just wanted to test the water. im going to give adrian flux a ring at some point in the next few months see what they can do as we have discount on the forum.  

Flux do alright for me, they are cheaper than most with the extras for base rate over the other side. But I hate that these cars can be so expensive.

I'm tempted to insure for 14 days then cancel the policy lol

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

i have 3 insurance with adrian flux one on a 99 reg pum third party fire and theft with agreed value and mods 4 year no claims at £250 2001 puma third party fire and theft my misses also 4 years no claims and agreed value and mods @£350 then our streetka third party fire and theft @£420

Try living in a London postcode then.  My eyes water every time I have to renew my policy.

• Like 3

I don't doubt it for a second Gary. The entire game is setup on favour of others

I don't doubt it for a second Gary. The entire game is setup on favour of others

Something for you to think about, my new Lexus 2.5L is 700 quid cheaper than my 1.6l focus 99bhp bug standard focus. How does that work 🤔🤔🤔

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

It's favouritism... The monkey peddling the quote maker and the hamster keeping it powered are both looking at a poster of the Lexus

• Like 1

it is a joke for us younger drivers, yesterday i had 4+ cars fly past me doing 70/80mph on a 60 duel carage way, all older 40+ years not saying all are like it but iv seen more older drivers, drive more dangerously and faster than other younger drivers with the exception of a them chavs in corsas lol, and we are the ones who fall victim to the insurance companies just the owners of the company's are going to be typically older.

• Like 1

It's because of your friendly neighbourhood yobbos...

Also older more experienced driver can drive fast and more dangerously cos they can control the car better compared to we youngins. Although you could be 24 and classed as an older driver of you have been driving since you were 17

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing problems, if you wanted to PM me I'd be happy to look into this for you. Insurance is based on risk, and over the past 25 years we and the insurers we work with have been collecting data to build the schemes we use. Statistically, lower value cars are involved in more claims, so therefore carry higher premiums. Much of this is low value claims caused by bumps in car parks, opening car doors into other vehicles etc. This is in no way directed towards you or your driving but as at the start of a policy no-one can unequivocally say that they will not have an accident, we can only rely on the statistics.

Kind Regards

Dan

"Statistics"  Never did believe all that rubbish. 

I have been driving for 65 years, held a HGV 1 licence, P.S.V. licence, and a bus driving instructor at Chiswick LPTB school.

The Royal Armoured Corps actually entrusted me with an Armoured Fighting Vehicle namely a Centurion tank. and then one of those lovely recovery vehicles named a "Scammell Pioneer"

Now in my 80's I am penalised because of my age. 60 years NCD and my latest insurance quote was for £1,450 with a company I have been with for years.

I then went to an insurance company direct and got it for £450.  Yes I tried Adrian Flux and was quoted way over the top.

As AlexBartlam stated re Corsa's,  I also drive a Corsa and I am by no means a Chav whatever that is.

For want of something better to do I played around with insurance websites and came up with the following:-

1 Insure the car as my wife being both the policy holder and the registered keeper.

2 Put my name on the policy as a Named Driver.

Cheapest quote returned was for £305.    Even better than the £450 I have just paid out.

O.K. probably lose my N.C.D. for the past 60 years but at my age I don't contemplate buying another car.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club