Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flat Battery.....My Fault....Best way to charge or new one.

jace1969

I was messing with my new dash cam and forgot blower was on and lights (auto) was on and car never has good runs.

Went to start it and all lights on dash was acting funny all on and wipers came on,got my booster to start it which it just did turning slow.

i have 2 dash cams off ignition (when all done) and a 24/7 tracker.

Is it best to charge the battery every so often and is it just take both leads off battery when on car and charge or can i leave 1 lead on.

Or will it need a larger power battery.

If you have it running just take it for a drive.

• Like 1

I have taken it for a quick run but i cant really leave the house for a long period as i look after my dad and cant be left for a long time

so it never gets a good run,in 7 days it could just get 2 or 3 very short trips up the shop which is 5 mins away,this is my problem.

Starts ok now after a 10 mins run but it might just happen again and it would stuff me up for transport as i need it there 24/7.

Do you have a driveway? If you have power you could always fit something like a CTEK charger to keep the battery charged and ready to go at a minutes notice. 

40 minutes ago, stef123 said:

Do you have a driveway? If you have power you could always fit something like a CTEK charger to keep the battery charged and ready to go at a minutes notice. 

Yes mate its on a locked back yard,i was going to give it a good charge as its never had one.

at 5 years old it is probably coming towards the end of its working life. if you get a smart regenerative charger you may be able to get a few more years out of it and given the type of use it's getting it won't do any harm to give it a charge every so often.

39 minutes ago, cjay1 said:

at 5 years old it is probably coming towards the end of its working life. if you get a smart regenerative charger you may be able to get a few more years out of it and given the type of use it's getting it won't do any harm to give it a charge every so often.

I will look into this as never knew of one of these smart regenerative before,if I do need a new battery I will see

if I can get a heavy duty one if there is such a thing these days.

I used to flatten my battery just by having the radio on whilst engine is stopped! Must have happened five times, so had the battery checked and it's fine!! No longer have the radio on or any electrics whilst stationary.....But I did go and buy some jump leads which are in the boot at all times just in case I get a flat battery and some kind person can give me a 'jump'

I normally remove both battery leads and charge it up which is very rare for me but yes their are a choice of chargers out their which will give a drip feed of charge to the battery and even solar powered one's that you just plug into the 12 v  power socket ..

Get a solar charger , leave it permantly connected. Nothing to remember to plug in or remove. Halfords sell them.

2 hours ago, jace1969 said:

I will look into this as never knew of one of these smart regenerative before,if I do need a new battery I will see

if I can get a heavy duty one if there is such a thing these days.

I got a ring rsc608 charger you can get bigger ones for more money but this one charges in just a few hours and has a built in tester. Bigger charger may not charge any faster as it only gives enough change as the battery can safely handle to prevent damage. I leave my battery in the car when I charge positive to positive and negative to the grounding point on the car is recommend in the instruction manual.

10 hours ago, karl46 said:

Get a solar charger , leave it permantly connected. Nothing to remember to plug in or remove. Halfords sell them.

So how do these work then,plug it into socket and onto battery and leave it connected.

I have a booster power started that i had for years and it just did the job but that's the first time for years like 10+ that

i have had a battery go dead on me,i need something the stupid low driving i do.

My brother plugs his in to the power socket amd leaves it for several months whilst he is away.

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/battery-chargers-jump-starters/halfords-solar-battery-maintainer-12v-6w

Apparently they sell a plug so you can plug into your OBD .

Never seen one of these before but seems a good idea,so its putting a nice slow charge into you battery all the time.

Just finding where to leave it and run the wires.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club