Do Not Sell My Personal Information

To anyone considering venturing out in the snow...

FMC

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jonny87

• Michael P

• Flic

• KeithC

Top Posters In This Topic

Because it works :)

Why is no one Chatzying, you especially Princess, you're about the only person I can count on to ALWAYS be there, and you're not! You're such a disappointment to me....

Me and Miles are on :)

oh port salut would be a good one. depends what sort of crackers you wish to divulge in though.

wensleydale with cranberry is nice with crackers, not very spreadable though.

perhaps some nice camembert?

Ugh... no.

White stilton with cranberries is much nicer than wensleydale. Wensleydale should be pure and not meddled with.

A nice bit of Manchego from Spain is good too.

Sorry to be boring and get back on topic but I got stuck in the snow today, was fine in town but when I got to my little cul-de-sac the snow was a fair few inches thick. Car wouldn't go any further forward so reversed and tried again. This time it wouldn't go forward or backward! Tried digging it out - no joy. While all this was happening a couple across the road cleared their car and drove away - thank you very much. Luckily a neighbour came out and he dug some snow away and had to push the car while I reversed it into the space that very 'helpful' couple came out of. So until we have some sort of thaw my car is stuck!

Sorry to be boring and get back on topic but I got stuck in the snow today, was fine in town bit when I got to my little cul-de-sac the snow was a fair few inches thick. Car wouldn't go any further forward so reversed and tried again. This time it wouldn't go forward or backward! Tried digging it out - no joy. While all this was happening a couple across the road cleared their car and drove away - thank you very much. Luckily a neighbour came out and he dug some snow away and had to push the car while I reversed it into the space that very 'helpful' couple came out of. So until we have some sort of thaw my car is stuck!

Yeah it's annoying when people don't even pretend to care and lend a hand. Would only take two minutes to help someone, even a little.

Thankfully no snow around here, but looking frosty and plenty of ice patches about.

hi

had my cast off now and my foot smells of cheese :P

a welcome inclusion to the cheese debate!

I had a cast on my arm when I was younger, we still have it in the loft. It smells pretty grim too, even after spraying a can of air freshener on it :lol:

This thread has taken a turn for the worst... you kept the cast Flic!? Have you got your tonsils pickled in a jar? :D

This thread has taken a turn for the worst... you kept the cast Flic!? Have you got your tonsils pickled in a jar? :D

I had four of my teeth somewhere that were extracted 10 years ago. Not sure where they went ... they were huge!

Nah, those are unfortunately still causing me grief at the back of my throat :P

YOU READ MY MIND! i lurve castello.

i tried buffalo mozzarella the other day, disappointment of the decade!

i think my fave on a cracker would be a layer of smoked bavarian, followed by a little wedge of brie, spread of cranberry sauce, then a slice of castello wrapped up with a dollop of caramelised red onions. yumtastic

I thought the idea was to have the cigars after the cheese and biscuits!

Low gears are your friend ;)

Not true, you should always drive slowly use the highest gear possible for the speed keeping revs low. This reduces torque through the front wheels reducing the chances that they will spin in the ice. Setting off in second gear and changing up between 1500-2000rpm (in a diesel) should keep you safely on the black stuff without sliding. Also when slowing brake early and gently changing down through the gears so the engine helps slow you down not just the brakes and tyres.

can anyone recommend a decent snow shovel. i had a look in b&q but they had jack !Removed!. not looking to spend a fortune but want one that will last.

Driving slow on snow and icy roads is definitely a good idea :P

But braking is BAD!

Low gears are your friend ;)

Not true, you should always drive slowly use the highest gear possible for the speed keeping revs low. This reduces torque through the front wheels reducing the chances that they will spin in the ice. Setting off in second gear and changing up between 1500-2000rpm (in a diesel) should keep you safely on the black stuff without sliding. Also when slowing brake early and gently changing down through the gears so the engine helps slow you down not just the brakes and tyres.

SY99, if you're going to mis-quote me and take a quote out of context, at least have the decency to quote the full post ;)

My remark about low gears being 'your friend' was in reference to NOT BRAKING - instead use engine braking and low gears when decending hills for example

Thanks

:)

SY99, if you're going to mis-quote me and take a quote out of context, at least have the decency to quote the full post ;)

My remark about low gears being 'your friend' was in reference to NOT BRAKING - instead use engine braking and low gears when decending hills for example

Thanks

:)

I didnt mis quote you I said drive slowly using the highest gear possible for the speed keeping the revs low to avoid the wheels spinning. Then I went on to say braking slowly and early using the gears to slow you rather than just the brakes which I believe backs up what you were saying. Low gears are NEVER your friend on ice. The higher the gear the lower the torque and chances of wheel spin.

My mistake came in quoting your post in mine and for that I apologise that this shoddy forum software doesnt do the same as most others when you click the reply button.

im a fan of engine breaking it has served me well this winter as i live on some nasty hilly roads with it being -15c many nights. not so much as a tail kick.

right speed right gear never fails.

I didnt mis quote you I said drive slowly using the highest gear possible for the speed keeping the revs low to avoid the wheels spinning. Who's misreading who???

Well i suppose we;ll have to agree to disagree on that one - i don't wish to get into a semantics argument - but i can see the error in my original post just as i can see one in yours - i meant low gears for going down hills, you are saying use high gears, period, which would necessiate extra braking.

Every one's a winner lol

:lol:

can anyone recommend a decent snow shovel. i had a look in b&q but they had jack !Removed!. not looking to spend a fortune but want one that will last.

I think you will struggle.

I have looked everywhere and there all sold out

I think you will struggle.

I have looked everywhere and there all sold out

where did you look chief? there are thousands on eBay but the postage cost more than the shovel! also anyone know where i can get a sledge?

where did you look chief? there are thousands on ebay but the postage cost more than the shovel! also anyone know where i can get a sledge?

I have looked in Homebase, Halfords, B and Q, Rejects ( A store near by) and even in and around builders merchants yards :lol:

The last place I seen a sledge was in ASDA, think they were selling at £10

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club