Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Discs & Pads fitted!

Ian Lanc

Took our car in to be serviced & Ford noticed that the front discs & pads was near to the minimum depth and gave me a quote of £235 to fit a new set, told them I reckon my Son will be able to do that job [I can't no more as I've a bad back] Son got me Ferodo discs-pads-bolts-anti rattle springs for just £60 & he changed the lot, he also removed & thoroughly cleaned the whole callipers, removing all rust and repainted them in Humbrol bright silver Enamel with a clear gloss coat, he also cleaned and removed all the rust from the hub and then repainted everything is satin black.

The discs have an silver anti-rust coating which is put on by Ferodo, to stop rust so I'm told,  So hopefully I'll not be seeing rusty disc's for some time :wink:

Reckon my Son has done a proper job in bringing the brakes back to life and should be good for a few years now and of course saved us a fair few quid in the process.

discs 001.JPG

discs 002.JPG

discs 003.JPG

discs 004.JPG

• Like 1

look like he done a great job on them :smile:

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, dezwez said:

look like he done a great job on them :smile:

As part of the price I don't think Ford would have cleaned all the crap off the parts and even used Ferodo parts.

I think your right there :smile:

• Like 1

give your lad a pat on the back from us......  :-)

then put him the train to blackpool to do my rear brakes  ;-D

black and silver always look best for painting braking components , only porche & ferrari can pull off gawdy bright colours without looking naff - wise decision ;-)

• Like 1

I bought a set of pagid discs and pads last year they squeak like crazy!!! ThenI changed the pads for Brembo it was ok for few weeks the. Started again not sure what to do ! Its soo anoying and squeak so loud! 

34 minutes ago, Patrico777 said:

I bought a set of pagid discs and pads last year they squeak like crazy!!! ThenI changed the pads for brembo it was ok for few weeks the. Started again not sure what to do ! Its soo anoying and squeak so loud! 

I'm using pagid discs and pads changed last month and done 3k mile on them. I do a lot of driving to and from work and not once had them squeak. 

Amazing how much money you can save if you do it yourself or know someone kind enough to do it for you. 

18 minutes ago, JayG90 said:

I'm using pagid discs and pads changed last month and done 3k mile on them. I do a lot of driving to and from work and not once had them squeak. 

Amazing how much money you can save if you do it yourself or know someone kind enough to do it for you. 

Im not sure what is wrong with mine set There are few scratched on discs as well

8 minutes ago, Patrico777 said:

Im not sure what is wrong with mine set There are few scratched on discs as well

Maybe take them back and see what's said? Did you fit them yourself? 

Wouldn't entertain main dealer prices! 

I use a local independent and it was only around £80 for labour for changing discs and pads AND doing a service (I supply all the oil/filters/parts myself) Most of the stuff I buy is genuine ford though as I've found genuine brakes pretty good over the years on all cars I've had. From memory I think it was around £110 for the full front axle pads and discs etc from ford.

Looks like he's made a nice job, always nice to see someone taking pride in their work.

10 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Wouldn't entertain main dealer prices! 

I use a local independent and it was only around £80 for labour for changing discs and pads AND doing a service (I supply all the oil/filters/parts myself) Most of the stuff I buy is genuine ford though as I've found genuine brakes pretty good over the years on all cars I've had. From memory I think it was around £110 for the full front axle pads and discs etc from ford.

Looks like he's made a nice job, always nice to see someone taking pride in their work.

Yeah that what Im thinking of taking off these oagid get refund for them and install new ford oem 

41 minutes ago, JayG90 said:

Maybe take them back and see what's said? Did you fit them yourself? 

No mechanic fitted them

15 hours ago, Patrico777 said:

I bought a set of pagid discs and pads last year they squeak like crazy!!! ThenI changed the pads for brembo it was ok for few weeks the. Started again not sure what to do ! Its soo anoying and squeak so loud! 

Do you know if copper slip was applied to the piston rim & any area's metal meets metal ? Usually squealing brakes is caused by vibration and copper slip stops this noise.

7 hours ago, Ian Lanc said:

Do you know if copper slip was applied to the piston rim & any area's metal meets metal ? Usually squealing brakes is caused by vibration and copper slip stops this noise.

Im not sure what that is explain but more jn detail and can i fix it this squeking noice ???

1 hour ago, Patrico777 said:

Im not sure what that is explain but more jn detail and can i fix it this squeking noice ???

Copper slip or copper grease are both anti seize lubricants and you generally use a smear of it on the back plate of the inner pad so it doesn't stick to the caliper piston and on the caliper runners so the fitting area of the pads doesn't drag and cause uneven movement of the pads on the calipers ..

• Like 1

Wow looks like an amazing job.

If your son ever needs more custom, he has my business!! lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, E TEA 66 said:

Copper slip or copper grease are both anti seize lubricants and you generally use a smear of it on the back plate of the inner pad so it doesn't stick to the caliper piston and on the caliper runners so the fitting area of the pads doesn't drag and cause uneven movement of the pads on the calipers ..

Oh yes the grease ie did it yes shld I do it again?

15 hours ago, Patrico777 said:

Oh yes the grease ie did it yes shld I do it again?

Check to see if the pads move freely and all surfaces are flat & free of any rust. No harm in checking and then re-greasing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ian Lanc said:

Check to see if the pads move freely and all surfaces are flat & free of any rust. No harm in checking and then re-greasing.

As Ian says but as a rule ideally twice a year ie ; towards the end of september ready for the crappy weather and salt coming up then again at the end of february to be sure theirs no unwanted crap n rust from the winter months unless you live on a farm or drive alot on mucky country lanes then i'd be checking more frequently if you have alot of wet weather through the year ..

• Like 1

As Ian says but as a rule ideally twice a year ie ; towards the end of september ready for the crappy weather and salt coming up then again at the end of february to be sure theirs no unwanted crap n rust from the winter months unless you live on a farm or drive alot on mucky country lanes then i'd be checking more frequently if you have alot of wet weather through the year ..

So basically take them apart give it a clean and grease it up again??? Last time I checked I had marks on discs quite deep

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Patrico777 said:

So basically take them apart give it a clean and grease it up again??? Last time I checked I had marks on discs quite deep

That's the ticket mate :wink: and things like deep or light continuous scoring round the disc is usually caused by stones getting trapped between the disc and pads causing the stones to cut into the disc so it's worth checking the pads for stones and digging the blighters out with a small flat screw driver  so unless your car fails it's next MOT due to excessive deep scoring i wouldn't worry mate .

That's the ticket mate :wink: and things like deep or light continuous scoring round the disc is usually caused by stones getting trapped between the disc and pads causing the stones to cut into the disc so it's worth checking the pads for stones and digging the blighters out with a small flat screw driver  so unless your car fails it's next MOT due to excessive deep scoring i wouldn't worry mate .

Got MOT next month I will take them apart and see what going on there hopefully if I clean it grease should stop squeking as summer is coming so windows are down and its doing my heading its ridicolous loud that squeking noise !

Well fingers crossed you don't find any unwanted gremlins hiding away but yes mate a good clean and grease up should leave it running smooth and squeak free in time for the MOT as for having the windows down mine a rarely up unless it's raining ..

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club