Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Auto Stop/Start

kelvin1950

I've had my Edge since September but only just discovered this forum. I've found most things either by using the manual or by trial and error. Found out on here that I had reclining rear seats, didn't know that! I'd like to be able to turn off the auto stop start at times as I find it a nuisance in traffic. The manual, and the online manual someone linked on here, says:

Switching the System On and Off
When you switch the ignition on, the system automatically turns on.
E121377_EUR.JPG  To switch the system off, press the switch and the word OFF illuminates. Press again to switch the system back on. The system only switches off for the current ignition cycle.
Note:  If the system detects a malfunction, it turns off. If it remains inactive after an ignition cycle, have your vehicle checked by an authorized dealer.
Note:  The system may not function if you leave electrical equipment connected with the ignition off.
Note:  For vehicles with auto-start-stop, the battery requirement is different. Replace it with one of exactly the same specification as the original.

This would be OK if I could only find the switch. It's obviously hidden, even more so that the heated steering wheel switch was!

Cheers.

Centre console to the right of the gear lever. If you have 3 buttons there (you have active park assist), its the middle one. If you only have two, i suspect its the forward one of the two. It has the same symbol as you posted from the manual (and that you see on the RPM gauge when it stops.

Its annoying that you cant disable it perminently, Im not a fan of it stop/starting so i frequently switch it off ... although i am trying to get used to it!

20170313_193839.jpg

I had mine in Sport mode today- it's very nippy in traffic- runs out of steam quite quick but it doesn't hang around for a very big car with quite a small engine. Impressed again. 

Well, there's a thing! I'll take a look tomorrow. Thanks for that, only used the self park twice as the second time it parked so close to the car next to me I had to drive out and back in again. Just didn't notice the third switch.

Start / Stop is driving me mad. It operates wheneve the car stops, regardless of whether you're in drive or neutral. Cutting out at traffic lights, or in a queue is one thing, but when you stop at a give way and it cuts out just when you are about to pull out is a nightmare! I'm quickly getting to the habit of switching it off as soon as I can... it's a pity it can't be permanently turned off...

• Like 1

There is an "engine autostop" setting somewhere in the left hand options screen.  Not switched it off so not too sure if it does disable auto stop as I don't find it an issue.  My car is manual,though so that might be down to how I drive.

PS. I can now confirm this setting does NOT switch off the auto start stop feature. I can also confirm there is nothing in the manual, that I can find, stating what this setting IS for!

Settings.jpg

Edited by Jim610
Test carried out

I found in my focus I would turn it off alot but on the Edge i dont really mind it. I have found once it was too slow when needing to pull away from a junction quickly but otherwise its been fine.

I do feel it turns off too early when the engine is still not up to temp which is annoying.

The setting that Jim has found in the LH options screen is for the auto engine off when parked, rather than the stop-start during a journey. I think it's 15 minutes after the handbrake is applied or something similar. That also has to be set every time the car is started!

Thanks Simon, how I missed that I'll never know. I guess it's because the salesman only showed the self park buttons there.

I have now had my Edge for just over 100 miles from new (picked up Saturday) & I'm very impressed so far but have noticed the auto stop/start isn't working (which some may say is a bonus!). I've read elsewhere that the auto stop/start may not function when the vehicle detects low battery power which as the car is new is this may the case (the car's probably been sat in a compound for several months) & the auto stop/start system will start to kick in once everything has settled down & the car has been run for a good few miles? Just wondered if anyone else had the same issue? Thanks, Jon

58 minutes ago, Yetiman65 said:

I have now had my Edge for just over 100 miles from new (picked up Saturday) & I'm very impressed so far but have noticed the auto stop/start isn't working (which some may say is a bonus!). I've read elsewhere that the auto stop/start may not function when the vehicle detects low battery power which as the car is new is this may the case (the car's probably been sat in a compound for several months) & the auto stop/start system will start to kick in once everything has settled down & the car has been run for a good few miles? Just wondered if anyone else had the same issue? Thanks, Jon

Hi Jon, 

You suspect correct, I find on my Focus at the minute, if its too cold, or I have fans on full power stop/start will not kick in. It was also the same from new, took a few miles before it started to kick in. 

What Edge spec have you gone for? I've got just under 4 weeks until I pick mine up, can't wait. 

7 minutes ago, RobWheeler said:

Hi Jon,

You suspect correct, I find on my Focus at the minute, if its too cold, or I have fans on full power stop/start will not kick in. It was also the same from new, took a few miles before it started to kick in.

What Edge spec have you gone for? I've got just under 4 weeks until I pick mine up, can't wait.

Hi Rob, thanks for the reply. The dealership (EvansHalshaw) had a Sport (210 auto) in stock (sat in a compound at Blackpool) at a "good" price as it was a 2016 build. Silver colour (looks good) with the lux pack, led lights (excellent), front view camera & parking assist. I had no choice on the extras but was happy to see them included (I obviously paid for them!) Only slight downside is that it is Sync2 but I can live with that - system does enough for me & as I've never experienced Sync3 I don't know what I'm missing! So far so good, ace car to drive - had an ST3 before (2012) so thought I may miss the power etc but really happy with the Edge :cool:

1 hour ago, Yetiman65 said:

Hi Rob, thanks for the reply. The dealership (EvansHalshaw) had a Sport (210 auto) in stock (sat in a compound at Blackpool) at a "good" price as it was a 2016 build. Silver colour (looks good) with the lux pack, led lights (excellent), front view camera & parking assist. I had no choice on the extras but was happy to see them included (I obviously paid for them!) Only slight downside is that it is Sync2 but I can live with that - system does enough for me & as I've never experienced Sync3 I don't know what I'm missing! So far so good, ace car to drive - had an ST3 before (2012) so thought I may miss the power etc but really happy with the Edge :cool:

Sounds good, I've done the same. Wanted to get the 0% offer so went with one in stock, or sat in the compound in Europe. I've managed to bag a 2017 model, Ruby Red, 180ps Sport (wanted manual). Lux, LED, front camera, park assist, heated wheel (couldn't live without that). I'm coming from a 2015 ST3 Diesel.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Yetiman65 said:

I saw an Edge Sport in Blackpool today. 17 plate in Silver, though with the silver Zetec wheels. Was this you?

Not me, it has the sport 20" black wheels, I must have a run out Blackpool way though 😉

7 hours ago, Yetiman65 said:

Not me, it has the sport 20" black wheels, I must have a run out Blackpool way though 😉

Ah... DId you get yours from Preston? It was on the forecourt when I bought mine...

i think the Sport looks great in white or silver, with the black wheels. Then again, I like my colour too...

• 5 months later...

I cant get my head around auto stop/start switching off when I stop, then if I open my driver door it starts up! 

20 hours ago, shocks said:

I cant get my head around auto stop/start switching off when I stop, then if I open my driver door it starts up! 

Probably to remind you that you haven't turned the ignition off !

1 hour ago, Edge of Reason said:

Probably to remind you that you haven't turned the ignition off !

ur not wrong!! 

Maybe it dislikes you and intends to make a dash for freedom? :tongue:

I struggle with this on my wife's Mini, which has a conventional handbrake so doesn't work the same way as the Edge.

I'm fairly sure I've left the car numerous times with the car "auto stopped" and it did not start until I got back in and pressed the clutch.  An other auto/manual difference maybe?

Mine is an Auto and it simply doesn't allow you to get out with the start stop in stop mode. I park in my drive and the engine cuts out and there's something psychological that tells your brain you just need to get out but as soon as you try, the engine fires up. I'm getting used to that fact now and the green light on the start/stop button tells me that the ignition is still on, so even though the engine is off, I still need to press the button to prevent it jumping back into life. It may be that it's a safety feature. If you have armed the ignition with the button and your passive key, then if you leave the vehicle without disarming it (with the button) then you could get out the car without the engine restarting and someone else could get in the car and simply drive off. It's annoying in one sense but actually a good safety feature. 

If somebody has time, try this. Start Car and run normally, turn off auto stop using switch in centre console. Pull of trim along side of centre console and disconnect multi-plug on switch with the engine running. The car thinks the switch is faulty so it disables the auto-stop permanently.

I don't know if this puts any warning lights on or if there are any other side effects but its worth a try.

H

23 minutes ago, Hamster said:

If somebody has time, try this. Start Car and run normally, turn off auto stop using switch in centre console. Pull of trim along side of centre console and disconnect multi-plug on switch with the engine running. The car thinks the switch is faulty so it disables the auto-stop permanently.

I don't know if this puts any warning lights on or if there are any other side effects but its worth a try.

H

Why on earth would you do that?  Seems a tad excessive!

I didn't say this was something which i would do but the OP wanted to permanently disable the system and the above procedure might just do that.

H