Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Changing Exhaust. Does it invalidate warranty?

Chris_W

Hi all,

I have a Ford Focus would I be able to have the Exhaust changed to a twin exhaust? And does it invalidate current ford warranty? Finally will an exhaust upgrade make any difference to a 1.0 125 ecoboost sound it makes :-)

Cheers

No, it will only void the warranty on the exhaust
Ford would have to prove your new exhaust caused damage to other components to not have to honour the warranty on them
oh and its illegal for replacement exhausts to make more noise than the original, so legally shouldn't make a difference

15 minutes ago, madmole said:

Ford would have to prove your new exhaust caused damage to other components to not have to honour the warranty on them
oh and its illegal for replacement exhausts to make more noise than the original, so legally shouldn't make a difference

Thanks for clearing up mate. So its ilegal to have my car sounding like an RS? :tongue: haha. Realistically I want a twin exhaust on my zetec s 2015 any good option to go for?

I would imagine that nothing you can do will cover the fact its a small engine thrashed to within an inch of its life by a large turbo, rather than a larger engine. Larger bore may actually make it sound strange.

I've always used powerflow in the past, if you describe the sound you want they can probably get close

4 minutes ago, madmole said:

I would imagine that nothing you can do will cover the fact its a small engine thrashed to within an inch of its life by a large turbo, rather than a larger engine. Larger bore may actually make it sound strange.

I've always used powerflow in the past, if you describe the sound you want they can probably get close

Haha Cheers Stephen, it is pretty nippy for such a small engine and does pick up speed and got a decent noise. but just in love with loud ***** Rs's at the moment :P

to be honest i might just whack an exhaust tip on it since you cant even see the exhaust on this focus due to the body kit hiding it, will that adjust the sound at all? 

29 minutes ago, chris_wynne said:

Haha Cheers Stephen, it is pretty nippy for such a small engine and does pick up speed and got a decent noise. but just in love with loud ***** Rs's at the moment :P

to be honest i might just whack an exhaust tip on it since you cant even see the exhaust on this focus due to the body kit hiding it, will that adjust the sound at all? 

If you don't tighten the screw up enough it might rattle? Is that the sound you were expecting? :tongue::ph34r:

A tip's not going to do squat no. It's the back boxes that create the resonance and noise. 

thought so haha, the muffler(box) will need replacing wont it

10 hours ago, madmole said:

Is this true? That means virtually every car running a after market stainless steel exhaust is illegal?

• Like 1

Yes, that is true
Will it cause you a problem? no, unless its stupidly loud and you drive like a *****

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Commencal24 said:

oh and its illegal for replacement exhausts to make more noise than the original

Is this true? That means virtually every car running a after market stainless steel exhaust is illegal?   I agree

This can't be right " It's April the 1st in a few weeks time" you obviously don't drive a MK2 ST/RS My non full turbo back resonated Cobra 3" with a 200 cell cat   make's far more noise than the OEM exhaust  by a mile and that's not illegal and mine is not as loud as some others that are available ,and they are legal too, they would not be available for sale by reputable company's if this was so with out then giving a warning like the cobra Venom system. And what about the load popping and banging mine does most of the time(every time you change gear) most if not all ST and RS will do this with vigour.

Regulation 54 of the Construction and Use Regs 1986. That a car can not exceed the noise output of the vehicle from standard when it left the factory.

Then we agree to disagree as in any good debate

I'm was with you on this one @Gizza11 it was my belief that the noise of the exhaust could not exceed 82db. On researching, this law applies to OEM systems only, as any modification to make your exhaust system louder than standard is illegal, even if it is below 82db.

Gov.uk says....
Modified exhaust systems
It’s illegal to modify the exhaust system to make a vehicle noisier after it has been ‘type approved’ (checked it meets environmental and safety standards).

The police can also take action if your vehicle’s silencer doesn’t work in the way it was designed or if you’re driving in a way that creates too much noise.

I had a custom system on my golf many years ago, it was a 3.5" s/s straight through from the cat back. You could fit a baby's head in it although that's frowned upon now and not a decent unit of measurement. I got pulled and my car get sound tested, it gave a reading of 98db. Luckily there was no fine, I got a producer and 14 days to sort it.

To make yours a little louder and deeper @chris_wynne you could do a centre box delete, costs about 40-60£

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

To make yours a little louder and deeper @chris_wynne you could do a centre box delete, costs about 40-60£

Yes this would work. And I agree with Jonro2009 this is what I've read  this somewhere before but couldn't remember it in my first post.

The police would've had a failed day with my C4 then, de-cat then a straight through stainless system, was so loud and made a nice popping sound when I dropped it down a gear 😆

It will give you a little bit of a louder deeper note but unfortunately it's not going to give you a WRX soundtrack. I've known Some people to get a pop when down shifting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

haha cheers, might give it a bit of thought :-)

• Like 1

that inner tube sounds awesome lol :laugh:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club