Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.6 Petrol Power Loss

Dave_TDCI

Hi all

Apologies if this has been covered in another part of the forum but most of the threads on power loss seem to be related to the diesel engines rather than petrol.

The car in question is a 1.6 petrol 100bhp 2008 Focus. The car has roughly 73k miles on it.

The issue I'm having is the car seems to to lack power randomly. If i accelerate hard sometimes it has plenty of poke and leaps forward but other times it seems to take particulary long to build speed, almost as if I was driving a 1.2 or something. The issue seems to be more related to low rpms and when it's roughly about 3000 or 4000rpm it drives well. I drove another 1.6 Focus at the weekend and it felt considerably faster.

I notice if I accelerate hard whether the power kicks in fully or not it definitely feels like there is a flat spot in the middle of the power delivery.

When the engine is cold it seems to drive slightly better from low revs but starts lacking more power intermittently when fully warmed up.

There is no engine lights on in the dash and the car does not misfire, just power seems to be good then almost halved.

Spark plugs and air filter were replaced 2000 miles ago.

Not sure if it is linked to the problem or not but I notice when the engine is idle there is a slight vibration but goes as soon as it's revved.

Any help would be appreciated.

Have you changed the spark plug leads at all

how does the coil pack look , give that a good clean

Try using 10k Boost EGR cleaner :    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400980875554?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Hope this helps

Hi Dagger thanks for the reply.

No the spark plug leads haven't been changed. They are numbered so I assume they are still the ones from factory.

I did take the plugs off to inspect them but could not find any visible issues with them as it cuts or cracks. Could it be possible they are still worn internally though?

Does the 1.6 petrol have an egr valve?I always assumed it didn't as I know the 1.4 petrol doesn't.

• 6 years later...

Hi Dave, 

Did you ever get to the bottom of this problem? I have a 1.6 Ford Focus petrol and am having similar problems, however mine has now done 101800 miles lol. I have changed the spark plugs and has a medium service so some other things have been renewed, but I'm still lacking power on acceleration but also getting a rumbling sound in low revs. 

Hi Nicola. I don't think you'll get a reply as Dave tdci hasn't been back on here since 2018 and welcome to the forum by the way.

I suggest you start a new thread with your issue. I also suggest that you do a video with sound of the rumbling if possible. Is the rumbling only when the car is in motion or does it rumble when stationery?

What's your driving style? Do you potter about doing only short trips or do you occasionally put your foot dawn and do longish runs?

45 minutes ago, tazzman600 said:

Hi Nicola. I don't think you'll get a reply as Dave tdci hasn't been back on here since 2018 and welcome to the forum by the way.

I suggest you start a new thread with your issue. I also suggest that you do a video with sound of the rumbling if possible. Is the rumbling only when the car is in motion or does it rumble when stationery?

What's your driving style? Do you potter about doing only short trips or do you occasionally put your foot dawn and do longish runs?

Hi Tazz, 

I didn't look at the date lol. 

I'm a local courier, so do a lot of short journeys daily. The rumbling happens when I'm driving, no sound when idling, it's when the accelerator is applied in low revs, so starting off mainly but also when your in 4/5th gear accelerating. 

The other thing is that, once the car has warmed up, the rumbling gets less noisy. 

Hi Nicola. Have you had the wheel bearings checked? They can make a rumbling sound but a more constant rumble.

Since you basically do short stop start type journeys I suggest you use a fuel additive like Millers Oils Petrol Power EcoMax. I've been using it for decades and swear by it. Also use E5 petrol. Yes it's more expensive but the benefits out weigh the extra few pence.

But like I said. To get more responses I recommend start a new thread with your issues.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club