Do Not Sell My Personal Information

10 plate Focus auto reversing lights not working

Surreyfocus

Hi people,

I noticed the other day my reversing lights are not coming on. I will be checking the lamps and the fuse when I get a day off, but whilst doing research it appears the automatics have a relay that controls these lamps, the reversing sensors and the automatic rear wiper (which i assume makes the wiper swipe when reversing if your front wipers are active). As none of these are working my thinking is the relay is faulty.

My question(s) would be : am i correct in my thinking?

where the hell is the relay? (none of the diagrams I've managed to find are clear)

what's the part number for the relay and how much is it likely to damage my wallet?

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Jon

I would say first lets go back to the basics. Why don't want to just to worse case straight away.

Check the bulb, if it blown replace it.

Next would be to check the actual fuses, each relay has a fuse on one or more of its circuits.

Then if that's not it we will move to the next steps.

Only been reading about this the other day, The Focus automatics do not have a relay. When selecting reverse this is picked up by a control unit attached to the engine bulkhead, I recall the module can be exchanged within this control unit, do a search on Google that's where I found it.

4 hours ago, Surreyfocus said:

it appears the automatics have a relay that controls these lamps, the reversing sensors and the automatic rear wiper

I assume it is a Focus Mk2a.

As far as I know, manuals have no relay, the gearbox switch drives the light directly. The automatic has a relay, R3, in the Engine bay fuse box. Picture of my (Mk2) fuse box lid:

EJB-ID1.JPG

The signal that drives the reverse light goes to the GEM (Passenger fuse box, or BCM), that unit controls the wipers and sends messages to the parking sensor over the MS CAN bus.

But I suspect it is more likely to be the switch in the gearbox. I don't know about the Auto box, but on my manual box, the switch is really quite easy to get at. I replaced mine last year.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club